Why did Cracker Barrel fire Brad's wife, after 11 years, on Brad's birthday???

Ser Scot A Ellison

I tried following this and I don't get what's funny/cute/whatever about it...I mean, in a period of increasingly precariouos and contingent labour and crashed incomes for the lower-middle (and middle-middle, and upper-middle) class like, for example, restaurant workers, getting fired is a big deal. Manintaining your dignity, privacy and a reasonable separation between your private and professional life is also a big deal. And getting harassed on social media is a further big deal.

If she was in a right to work, work at will state, Cracker Barrel doesn't need a clearly defined reason.  Perhaps a manager thought she was too old, or too ugly, or needed to free up a position for a relative or friend to take her spot.  Or just because.  

BOOM! 

Gone, no fuss, no muss, all legal. 

3 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

If she was in a right to work, work at will state, Cracker Barrel doesn't need a clearly defined reason.  Perhaps a manager thought she was too old, or too ugly, or needed to free up a position for a relative or friend to take her spot.  Or just because.  

BOOM! 

Gone, no fuss, no muss, all legal. 

I'd hardly call this "no muss, no fuss".  This has to be a nightmare for Cracker Barrel's marketing people.

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'd hardly call this "no muss, no fuss".  This has to be a nightmare for Cracker Barrel's marketing people.

The issue going viral on social media is what will possibly give CB a headache.  But the fuss/muss comment is about the fact that if one is in a right to work/work at will state, it would be very hard for the former employee to prove they were fired unfairly, which is of course, one of the main points of the law.  So, if that's the case, being able to cause CB a barrel full of trouble in the social media world,  because they fired someone supposedly without cause, well, that could be their just deserts, one might say. 

It'd be interesting if they issued a statement explaining why they fired Brad's wife.

"We decided to take this action because of Mrs. Brad's use of nonstandard ingredients. You want to know what was in those crackers she was serving? People."

45 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

So, if that's the case, being able to cause CB a barrel full of trouble in the social media world,  because they fired someone supposedly without cause, well, that could be their just deserts, one might say. 

Make mine the baked apple cobbler, please. Not a big fan of Cracker Barrel, but that dessert kicks ass.

They also probably had a good reason for firing her. Good restaurant managers are extremely hard to come by because it's a difficult job and the pay and hours are shit, you don't fire them for no reason.

And regardless, this is a gold mine for Cracker Barrel. Shit tons of free publicity, and it's not even for something bad.

Oh, gosh, I finally clicked on the link and am embarrassed to say I was soon laughing out loud.  I guess this situation points up the absurdity of the "fifteen seconds of fame" everybody can have on social media these days.

I'm afraid, though, that the public reaction to this is in the long run going to be much more negative for Brad and Nanette than it will be for Cracker Barrel. Even if it turns out that her firing was indeed unjust, I think this will make it very hard for any prospective future employer to take either of them seriously.

Archived