Viserys Procuring Alliances

Angel Eyes

So I was thinking about Viserys marrying Daenerys off to Khal Drogo and wondering: Why hadn't Viserys tried marrying anyone? If he's trying to gain alliances through marriage, why is he only pimping Daenerys? Shouldn't he be trying to forge an alliance by marrying? 

53 minutes ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

He probably should but I think he is waiting on regaining his throne so he can get a better deal.  Right now he is known as "the Beggar King", not too many powerful houses want that reputation.

:agree: 

Daenerys is young, attractive, just at the right age for marriage and whether her Targaryen blood is a pro or con for those considering marrying her, she's a pretty decent bride for many in Essos. Viserys is less desirable considering his political status is more baggage than Daenerys' as he is actively seeking the throne. He is unlikely to attain a marriage befitting his rank in Essos, and has little to no hope of marriage in Westeros.

4 hours ago, Lady Silvana said:

:agree: 

Daenerys is young, attractive, just at the right age for marriage and whether her Targaryen blood is a pro or con for those considering marrying her, she's a pretty decent bride for many in Essos. Viserys is less desirable considering his political status is more baggage than Daenerys' as he is actively seeking the throne. He is unlikely to attain a marriage befitting his rank in Essos, and has little to no hope of marriage in Westeros.

True and even then the best that Ilyrio can manage is to marry her to a Dothraki.  Since the Dothraki hate ships and refuse to cross salt water the odds of Viserys getting his 40,000 screamers are slim at best.  BTW, I have always thought that the inspiration for Dany's marriage is the real life story of St Mary of the Mongols,  a Byzantine Princess married off to a Mongol Khan.

Thanks for the link; that was fascinating, and what a strange life she must have led. 

I did wonder why Viserys hadn't formed some alliance with Dorne, or even snuck back there, but I guess Prince Doran was too shrewd to allow him refuge. Varys would have known where he was, and it might have given Robert an excuse to invade Dorne. Also, I suppose that Viserys would have also married Daenerys eventually?

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, Lisula said:

Thanks for the link; that was fascinating, and what a strange life she must have led. 

I did wonder why Viserys hadn't formed some alliance with Dorne, or even snuck back there, but I guess Prince Doran was too shrewd to allow him refuge. Varys would have known where he was, and it might have given Robert an excuse to invade Dorne. Also, I suppose that Viserys would have also married Daenerys eventually?

Certainly Viserys would have wanted to wed and bed Dany. Plus, from his point of view it would have kept the Blood of the Dragon pure.  Viserys wouldn't marry anyone from Essos, he feels that they are all beneath him, he wouldn't marry anyone from Dorne, after all look how that worked out for Rhaegar.  The other great Houses don't really have any candidates, even if Viserys was going to go with that idea, that leaves Dany as being a Princess from a great family but of course Viserys wouldn't gain anything out of wedding her.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

The plans for V's marriage are revealed later in the series.

And then that became a moot point after Viserys took the gold bucket challenge. News must travel slow outside of Westeros, since Quentyn didn't know of Viserys' death.

• 2 months later...

Viserys is seen as a clown in Essos. The only way the Dany-Drogo match came about was because Illyrio arranged it. He has some ulterior motive there - why would he spend so much money hosting them and giving Dany dragon's eggs. As a Lord of Light fan, Illyrio may have heard a prophecy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 4:26 AM, Yo Mummer said:

Viserys is seen as a clown in Essos. The only way the Dany-Drogo match came about was because Illyrio arranged it. He has some ulterior motive there - why would he spend so much money hosting them and giving Dany dragon's eggs. As a Lord of Light fan, Illyrio may have heard a prophecy. 

But Dany is as much a clown as Viserys. 

Speaking of which, Dany was viewed as more of a threat by King Robert; I was surprised at this, given the patriarchal nature of Westeros society (with the exception of the Mormonts). So why is she seen as the bigger threat? 

On Invalid Date at 0:43 PM, Angel Eyes said:

But Dany is as much a clown as Viserys. 

Speaking of which, Dany was viewed as more of a threat by King Robert; I was surprised at this, given the patriarchal nature of Westeros society (with the exception of the Mormonts). So why is she seen as the bigger threat? 

Because she is birthing a new generation of Targaryens, and not 30 years ago the realm had finally gotten rid of the last in a long line of claimants to the Iron Throne that had brought war and bloodshed to Westeros for more than century.

Men have long both feared and envied women's ability to nurture life.

On 7/16/2017 at 1:15 PM, John Suburbs said:

Because she is birthing a new generation of Targaryens, and not 30 years ago the realm had finally gotten rid of the last in a long line of claimants to the Iron Throne that had brought war and bloodshed to Westeros for more than century.

Men have long both feared and envied women's ability to nurture life.

So Viserys should have gotten a move on.

Archived