The new Justice League trailer

Centrist Simon Steele

7 hours ago, Myrddin said:

As someone who really liked MoS, enjoyed BvS for the most part, and thought SS was a waste of time, I was underwhelmed by the trailer.

There were "cool" moments, sure. But it looks all over the place. The mono chrome palette fit BvS, but here it's just dour.

I'd love to say something uplifting like: "I hope Flash and Aqua Drogo can breath fresh life into this." But casting was never the issue with these movies. They've cast the Big Three very well. It's the direction and story that is lacking.

This releases a week after Thor Ragnarok (in the US anyway). It'll be interesting to see where people put their money.

This is already my major complaint against it. I'm sick and tired of this monochrome look of most modern digital movies, but Snyder takes it to extremes. Not one shot in that trailer looked like it could have existed in the real world. He's just creating a grim, murky looking cartoon.

That was a real failing of BvS. The fight sequences were impossible to get invested in because they had no weight, nothing felt real. At least MoS was mostly quite realistic in its style and shots, and thats maybe why I think its so much better than BvS.

11 hours ago, Myrddin said:

This releases a week after Thor Ragnarok (in the US anyway). It'll be interesting to see where people put their money.

If it Justice League is released a week before payday and I have a budget that month my money will be going to Thor Ragnarok. If it's good I'm probably more likely to watch Thor twice than Justice League. Again, this is pretty damning considering I like MOS and Watchmen but I really wasn't impressed with BvS. I can't even muster the enthusiasm of rewatching the extended version in the hope I was missing something the first time around.

I agree that there is no issue with casting. The attempts at injecting humour, especially via Batman,feels a bit desperate given how glum he was in BvS. I'd have preferred they used the new characters as venues for humour although I guess there was room for it with Wonder Woman to some extent.

26 minutes ago, red snow said:

I agree that there is no issue with casting. The attempts at injecting humour, especially via Batman,feels a bit desperate given how glum he was in BvS. I'd have preferred they used the new characters as venues for humour although I guess there was room for it with Wonder Woman to some extent.

Batman would be the perfect foil to a humourous character, him being so straight. Giving Batman an actual sense of humour would be a bit of a mistake.

10 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Batman would be the perfect foil to a humourous character, him being so straight. Giving Batman an actual sense of humour would be a bit of a mistake.

I agree, but i has to be a balance, otherwise Bats becomes the butt of every joke. It's funny in Lego Batman, but would ruin a "serious" version of JL.

9 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

He seems a lot more wise-cracking from the trailers so far. It's possible to make Batman funny but there wasn't any sign of it in BvS other than the forced "I thought she was with you" line.

But yeah Batman has been fun in different iterations of the character usually by being the straight humourless guy or as the guy with thee dryest sense of humour.

JL will easily outperform Ragnarok, it has to. I'm personally more excited for Ragnarok, I think everything about it looks great (and I'm one of the few who kind of liked Dark World.) But this is the Justice League. It's Wonder Woman, Batman, the Flash, Aquaman and (of course) Superman in a film properly all together, BvS and Suicide Squad did well in the face of overwhelming negative critical reviews, purely on the goodwill people have towards these characters. I don't really have much history with these characters and I can already tell you I'll be going to see it. I won't be able to stop myself.

10 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

JL will easily outperform Ragnarok, it has to. I'm personally more excited for Ragnarok, I think everything about it looks great (and I'm one of the few who kind of liked Dark World.) But this is the Justice League. It's Wonder Woman, Batman, the Flash, Aquaman and (of course) Superman in a film properly all together, BvS and Suicide Squad did well in the face of overwhelming negative critical reviews, purely on the goodwill people have towards these characters. I don't really have much history with these characters and I can already tell you I'll be going to see it. I won't be able to stop myself.

I can understand why BvS did well, it was always going to. Suicide squad still baffles me. Maybe it was Harley Quinn and the joker alone that did it, but apart from them the rest of the line up are unheard of by most people. 

Must be more about clever marketing than anything else.

10 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Personally, I find the Thor movies the weakest links in the Marvel Universe. I'm hard pressed to say that I've not seen either all the way through. That being said, I'd still pay to see the new Thor in the theatres and wait for the JL movie to hit cable...

3 hours ago, red snow said:

But yeah Batman has been fun in different iterations of the character usually by being the straight humourless guy or as the guy with thee dryest sense of humour.

Yeah, dry straight man has often been the best angle, methinks...

http://www.therobotsvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/INT_JLI_punch.jpg

/The Giffen/DeMatteis JLA version was probably my favorite 

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I can understand why BvS did well, it was always going to. Suicide squad still baffles me. Maybe it was Harley Quinn and the joker alone that did it, but apart from them the rest of the line up are unheard of by most people. 

Must be more about clever marketing than anything else.

Well, Harley Quinn, The Joker and Will Smith.  But yeah, to a certain extent Harley is DC's Deadpool-equivalent and will have done a lot for that movie. That's why the follow-up will be Gotham City Sirens and not Suicide Squad 2. Although with Ayer returning as director there's gonna be a lot of critical badwill for that movie right out the gate. I really hope they get it right because there's a whole sub-'verse there to be built up (there must be a Birds of Prey movie coming, possibly spinning directly out of GCS, Catwoman solo seems likely in the long run too) so there's a lot riding on it.

The abundance of potentially massively marketable women heroes and anti-heroes is one area where DC appear to be stealing a march on Marvel. Really really want a Cassandra Cain Batgirl movie..,

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Well, Harley Quinn, The Joker and Will Smith.  But yeah, to a certain extent Harley is DC's Deadpool-equivalent and will have done a lot for that movie. That's why the follow-up will be Gotham City Sirens and not Suicide Squad 2. Although with Ayer returning as director there's gonna be a lot of critical badwill for that movie right out the gate. I really hope they get it right because there's a whole sub-'verse there to be built up (there must be a Birds of Prey movie coming, possibly spinning directly out of GCS, Catwoman solo seems likely in the long run too) so there's a lot riding on it.

The abundance of potentially massively marketable women heroes and anti-heroes is one area where DC appear to be stealing a march on Marvel. Really really want a Cassandra Cain Batgirl movie..,

We can only hope for a James Mangold level of redemption when Ayer gets a second stab at a DC film although "The Wolverine" was only ever anywhere near as bad as suicide squad in the old-guy-in-a-samurai-robot-suit (I refuse to accept that was silver samurai) and Mangold admitted that was insisted on by the studio. Maybe similar things happened with Ayer but on a whole other level? Hard to believe.

It seems DC is pretty loyal with sticking to directors. How many critically panned films will Snyder make before they drop him? I guess they must still be making acceptable returns on the films to stick with the plan.

20 minutes ago, red snow said:

It seems DC is pretty loyal with sticking to directors. How many critically panned films will Snyder make before they drop him? 

Apparently the reverse isn't true since the Flash movie has lost two directors (Seth Grahame-Smith and Rick Famuyiwa) . Was disappointed they alienated Famuyiwa with the usual "creative differences".

34 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Apparently the reverse isn't true since the Flash movie has lost two directors (Seth Grahame-Smith and Rick Famuyiwa) . Was disappointed they alienated Famuyiwa with the usual "creative differences".

I was wondering if that was as much the directors not being as loyal to the project. Not that I blame them. If the trailers are to be believed Snyder seems to be trying to inject a bit of levity into Justice League which isn't something that could be said of anything else he's done.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I was wondering if that was as much the directors not being as loyal to the project. Not that I blame them. If the trailers are to be believed Snyder seems to be trying to inject a bit of levity into Justice League which isn't something that could be said of anything else he's done.

There's the unintentionally funny stuff but the Martha thing has been beaten to death. :P

Anyway, I get the impression Famuyiwa was really into the Flash project so I guess the interference must have been something.

I swear, DC gives off such a strong "virgin about to be deflowered by Gregor Clegane" vibe with their films that people pick up on their skittishness. 

The situation with the Batman movie really made me wonder what the hell is going on behind the scenes over there. So many 'hes in hes out' revelations to do with Affleck. Clearly Ben was waiting for a decent script to turn up, but WB wanted to get going with the movie anyway. Then at some point after he left there were stories about Ben's problems with drugs and booze and stress. Seems like chaos to me. 

8 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

The situation with the Batman movie really made me wonder what the hell is going on behind the scenes over there. So many 'hes in hes out' revelations to do with Affleck. Clearly Ben was waiting for a decent script to turn up, but WB wanted to get going with the movie anyway. Then at some point after he left there were stories about Ben's problems with drugs and booze and stress. Seems like chaos to me. 

In the first place Affleck was waiting for himself to produce a decent script. But it seems like with all the personal issues it's understandable that he may want to avoid such a stressful gig. By reducing his role in the creative process to "playing Batman" he's relieving a lot of pressure as most people agreed his performance wasn't to be faulted in BvS. Besides Star wars I can't think of many films under more scrutiny than a solo batman film and as Affleck has an alcohol problem that would be a hell of a lot of stress to put himself through.

Archived