Characters never (or rarely) show up where GRRM tells us

Good Guy Garlan

So, I was thinking about how after Barristan went MIA, everyone (in the story) thought he was gonna show up with Renly or Stannis or even Robb, but then BAM! shows up at Essos, with Dany. You cheeky GRRM, misleading us like that.

Another similar example I can think of is in the last Victarion chapter in Feast, Vic thinks Asha would be better off going to Essos or whatever but then BAM! she shows up at Deepwood Motte in Dance. 

Similarly, Tywin thinks Stannis might go to Dorne after he leaves Dragonstone, but BAM! he shows up at the Wall. 

Even with the Damphair, Victarion/Asha offers two possibilities of his whereabouts in Dance: he's either hiding somewhere in Old Wyk or Euron killed him in secret, yet we know he's 

Spoiler

Euron's prisoner

Speaking of Euron, at the end of Feast it seems like he might join Victarion in his dragon mission, yet it appears he's staying near the Reach.

I'm sure there are more examples like these, so my thinking is, maybe we should question more the missing characters' whereabouts, even if they seem like a given? So maybe: 

The Blackfish won't show up with the Brotherhood to attack the Twins. 

Loras never went to Dragonstone at all (I'll admit this one's controversial).

Varys had nothing to do with Tyrek's disappearance like Jaime believes. 

Etc.

Just a random thought. 

47 minutes ago, Therae said:

Hmm.

So Jaime and Brienne may not return to LSH, Danaerys may not end up in Vaes Dothrak...am I doing this right? Who else is missing?

Well, those cases are a bit different because GRRM never really told us Jaime and Brienne were going to Stoneheart's place. Like, it could be implied, but all we have explicitly in the text is Brienne saying some nonsense about Sandor. Same goes for Dany: the last we saw of her she had just encountered some Dothraki but no one specifically said they were taking her to Vaes Dothrak. 

Another couple of examples I can think of: 

- Benjen: Characters say he's either dead or missing

- Darkstar: I could be making this up, but I think someone (Doran?) suggested he's still in Dorne. 

31 minutes ago, TheSeer27 said:

Little Finger probably has Tyrek.

Yeah, I think so too. Maybe he took him to the same place he took Jeyne Poole. 

I'd say (hope?) Areo and Obara don't go to High Hermitage. But I see no reason why Doran would lie to everyone once again about their mission. Sometimes it's as straightforward as they say.

I'm also very iffy about Davos' mission to Skagos. Seems like a weird quest detached from every character and location -- especially when we're reaching the climax of the books when things are supposed to converge. So maybe he sails for Skagos, but ends up somewhere else?

We need a list of everyone who is somehow expected somewhere.

Jaime & Brienne

Davos

Areo and Obara

Gilly - can't remember if Sam has sent her to the Tarly's place

Marwyn

Dany 

Others are more or less missing, with no strong theory about their whereabouts:

Benjen

Tyrek

9 hours ago, Renly's Banana said:

I'd say (hope?) Areo and Obara don't go to High Hermitage. But I see no reason why Doran would lie to everyone once again about their mission. Sometimes it's as straightforward as they say.

I'm also very iffy about Davos' mission to Skagos. Seems like a weird quest detached from every character and location -- especially when we're reaching the climax of the books when things are supposed to converge. So maybe he sails for Skagos, but ends up somewhere else?

Hardhome 

Wouldn't it be interesting to get a POV chapter there?

17 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

The Blackfish won't show up with the Brotherhood to attack the Twins. 

Given that Jeyne Westerling is confirmed to appear in the Prologue, most readers expect the Blackfish to make a rescue attempt for her and Edmure.  I doubt it.  I think the prologue will take place in Casterly Rock and she will appear upon her arrival there.

6 hours ago, Ser Kinslayer said:

Hardhome 

Wouldn't it be interesting to get a POV chapter there?

I actually expect Davos to wind up there.  The timing is about right. as he would arrive there at about the right time.  I expect him to give us our look at the Far North as well.

I think Tyrek is hiding out in Braavos.  Maybe he'll meet Arya.  That would be interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brienne and Jaime don't go anywhere near LSH, but have no idea where they would go instead.

Archived