The Citadel's man after Dany could be...

Good Guy Garlan

...Maester Kedry. 

We know this about him: 

Kedry had been fluent in the tongues of all of the Free Cities, and even the mongrel Ghiscari that men spoke along the shores of Slaver's Bay. "Maester Kedry will accompany you," his father said the night they parted. "Heed his counsel. He has devoted half his life to the study of the Nine Free Cities." Quentyn wondered if things might not have gone a deal easier if only he were here to guide them.

Basically he's super prepared for a mission to reach Dany. 

Now, I don't remember if it's even stated whose maester Kedry is. I assume he's sworn to the Yronwoods, but in any case we know the Citadel has a hidden, no-maj agenda. 

So, say you're a random maester who's privy to a highly secretive plot to accompany a Prince of Dorne to pledge his support to Daenerys Targaryen because it just so happens you have the necessary qualifications to accomplish said mission. You share the Citadel's view of magic, dragons and Targs. So you secretly contact the Archmaesters and tell them all about Doran and Yronwood's plot. They give you a new objective: carry out the mission as it is, gain Daenerys' trust...then get rid of her. We know maesters know their poison: remember Cressen, Pycelle, etc. 

Sadly, you, Maester Kedry, never reach Meereen thanks to a random pirate attack. 

Now, even though Marwyn says the maesters "will" send their man soon enough, there's no reason to believe the Citadel wouldn't react sooner than that. There's been reports of the dragons as early as the beginning of Storm. 

What do you think?

Maybe, but it seems to be a strange thing to do – the Citadel would essentially have to winkle their way into Doran’s inner circle, rather than just send their own man direct. I see little gain for a lot of work doing it that way.

Also, given that he’s dead now, and he never appeared on page, and Quentyn is now dead as well, the reveal would be a bit pointless at this stage “remember that character who we never saw and is now dead, well he betrayed that other character who’s now dead.”

Maester Kedry's Ghiscari language skills are an afterthought. His real area of expertise is the Free Cities, which is where Doran expected Dany to be. Quentyn was never supposed to go to Meereen. I don't think they heard she was in Meereen until they reached Lys or Volantis. I have some tinfoil on the subject somewhere, I should probably find the link.

As for who Kedry belongs too, I'm guessing Doran. An expert on the Free Cities, who speaks all the languages... sounds like a good thing to have if you're a super-secret master plotter with lots of foreign connections. (Friends with the Archon of Tyrosh, secret pacts signed with the Sealord of Braavos, married to Norvoshi nobility.)

I think this sub-plot is pointless right now. And I simply can't see the maesters doing something themselves rather than manipulating someone to do their dirty job. They could send another Maester but I don't think he'd poison Daenerys directly, but make someone do it without knowing it.

Archived