True Detective Season 3 (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

Because I'm an HBO guy I would still probably give another season of TD a shot but with really measured expectations.  It feels like S1 was a classic lightning-in-a-bottle situation.  

A lot of it was straight-up plagiarism. Pizzollatto is a hack.

I had high hopes for this season, and was giving it the benefit of the doubt. But I thought the mystery was fairly predictable, and without much dramatic tension. The reveal conversation was just boring. 

I do think the acting was great and was the saving grace for the season. 

21 hours ago, King Roberts beard said:

I found Hays and Amelia pretty unlikable tbh.

Those 2 together were like the toxic, bickering couple everyone has known at some point. It was exhausting by the last episode. 

ETA: I just read that Pizzolatto said Amelia’s death was cut for time, and that she died peacefully in her sleep in 2013. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The story was never the best part anyway. It was the acting, and Cary Fukunaga’s direction. The latter has been sorely missed the last couple seasons. 

Sorely missed.  And then some.  Maybe Pizzolato is a hack?  Hmmm.  Possible.  Last season was definitely hackneyed. This season was okay, but would have benefited from some different organization of the how the story flowed I think.

12 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Those 2 together were like the toxic, bickering couple everyone has known at some point. It was exhausting by the last episode. 

ETA: I just read that Pizzolatto said Amelia’s death was cut for time, and that she died peacefully in her sleep in 2013. 

Makes sense. How else would they fit the couple breaking up in 1980 and then getting back together 5 minutes later. I was on the edge of my seat there despite the fact I knew they got married and had 2 children.

On 2/26/2019 at 8:17 AM, red snow said:

Very average ending and I'm left with the feeling neither of them were "true detectives" as it took them 25 years to not solve a case.

Pizzolato has a knack for generating more story and speculation than real substance and a lot if it is largely due to lazy storytelling techniques

Great performances though - need more Dorf in future and the score was mind-blowing. It's rare that the music slone can induce horror but that happened several times in this show

Actually it took them 35 years to not solve the case. Worst. Detectives. Ever.

Pretty, pretty bad. I heard the creator wanted a two hour finale, and he had to cut out a bunch of stuff. Thank God, it already took me two hours to finish.

I feel like after the info dump of "here's how it went down" when the two detectives look at the one-eyed dude for a minute and instead of killing or arresting him, they just get up and walk out they're so pissed...that's them sympathizing with the audience.

I couldn't take anymore whispery bad poetry that is supposed to create meaning from nothing.

And the one scene everyone loves? Dorff's fight in the bar? Lifted right out of Breaking Bad! The creator loves to "borrow" ideas.

Ugh. I'm sorry if I'm overly salty. I shouldn't even have started the season because I knew whether I loved or hated it, I'd have to see it through.

Archived