Why didn't Tywin let Tyrion tour the Free Cities?

PrinceHenryris

Tygett and Gerion toured the free cities as young men.

Tyrion wanted to the same, but Tywin's reasons for refusing Tyrion were that, unlike him, Tywin's brothers could be trusted to "not shame his family" and "not marry a whore".

For some reason, I think it's more complicated.  The easiest way to get rid of an embarrassing member of a wealthy family, without killing them, is to ship them away.  If Tywin sent Tyrion away with a bunch of gold and some sworn men, and the "suggestion" that he never return, Tywin would have never had to worry about Tyrion embarrassing him ever again.

Instead, Tywin put Tyrion in charge of the drains, had fine suits of armour made for Tyrion, and named him acting hand.

Was Tywin just being spiteful?  Or did he see some value in the Imp.

Because Tywin is a dickbag that hated his son. 
That's it. That's literally it. No further investigation needed here, chief.

actually Tywin's feelings for Tyrion are much much much more complex than that and I could write about it forever. maybe later

Tywin is very much about control, and letting Tyrion run around the free cities isn't controlling. It's possible he does see the value in Tyrion, he certainly does at the start of the war when he sends him off to reign Ceresi in. But earlier on? I doubt it. But Tyrion is Tywin's heir. As much as he'd like to get Jamie back, he can't go against the tradtion of lifetime service to the Kingsguard. So he keeps Tyrion in Westeros while he looks at other options. I have no doubt that if Lancel had been older and turned out to be a shining knight like Jamie, Tyrion would have been quietly killed and Lancel groomed to take Casterly Rock

I don't care how much shit Twyins has put Tyrion through. He did all he did to make his family more powerful, and that's it. All actions that Tyrion has made in his youth were foolish and could embarrass Lannisters name. He then give Tyrion a task he knew Tyrion could do, because he knew Tyrion was smarter than most people in the small council. 

5 hours ago, Trigger Warning said:

I think he just didn't want a dwarf wandering around the Free Cities with the Lion of Lannister sewn on his breast.

That's it. The son he wants to keep at home, in the sewers.

5 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Tygett and Gerion toured the free cities as young men.

Tyrion wanted to the same, but Tywin's reasons for refusing Tyrion were that, unlike him, Tywin's brothers could be trusted to "not shame his family" and "not marry a whore".

For some reason, I think it's more complicated.  The easiest way to get rid of an embarrassing member of a wealthy family, without killing them, is to ship them away.  If Tywin sent Tyrion away with a bunch of gold and some sworn men, and the "suggestion" that he never return, Tywin would have never had to worry about Tyrion embarrassing him ever again.

Instead, Tywin put Tyrion in charge of the drains, had fine suits of armour made for Tyrion, and named him acting hand.

Was Tywin just being spiteful?  Or did he see some value in the Imp.

I think he was just spiteful.

I'm pretty sure that Tywin didn't want Tyrion, a dwarf, to travel around the world and let people see that Tywin had a dwarf for a son. It would be bad enough for Tywin that it was common knowledge and showed around to the people of Westeros, no reason to spread the thing over to Essos as well.

So essentially what @Trigger Warning already said.

Tywin says very clearly why he doesn't allow Tyrion to go to the Free Cities - Tyrion has proven that he has pretty poor control first with Tysha (as well as later on in ASOIAF with Shae) and wouldn't care about embarrassing his family by marrying someone lowborn and since Jamie is Kingsguard and Tyrion is the next in line there's no way Tywin's going to allow him to marry whoever he pleased.

The Free Cities aren't some mystical far away land where Tyrion can be safely shipped away - it's likely faster to go from Pentos to Kingslanding than to go from Kingslanding to Lannisport so Tyrion's antics would be known and embarrass the Lannisters and might create dynastic problems or competing claims.

19 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

Here's gold for your journey, do not wear our sigil/colors, and if you bring back an unfit wife I'll have her killed.  Try and learn things of use amidst the fun also.

Could have worked, no?

No because there's not a lot of wealthy but very short Westerosi in the Free Cities and if somehow Tyrion produces a healthy heir with a semi-legit sort of wife then there's going to be no end to troubles. Heck even if he doesn't there's going to be plenty of machinations.

I don't think a noble father has any obligation to allow his son a freedom of the world with his gold, no? And anyways in Tywin's case we know he was a man with extreme complexes about family prestige especially in relation to Tyrion, so keeping him within a hand's reach probably felt like the safest option. And of course when the push came to shove Tywin did find plenty of use for his dwarf son, making him one of the most powerful officials at the court by the end of it.

58 minutes ago, Humble Maester said:

And of course when the push came to shove Tywin did find plenty of use for his dwarf son, making him one of the most powerful officials at the court by the end of it.

Well...by the end of it he had him sentenced to death for regicide, but that's by-the-by. 

Just now, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Well...by the end of it he had him sentenced to death for regicide, but that's by-the-by. 

Well I don't think Tyrion's conviction was really on Tywin considering all the influence Littlefinger, Cersei and Tyrion himself had in causing that.

And just to be clear, I was referring to by the end (or peak) of Tyrion's career in King's Landing, of course :P

On 29/03/2017 at 9:47 AM, Trigger Warning said:

I think he just didn't want a dwarf wandering around the Free Cities with the Lion of Lannister sewn on his breast.

^ This.

Plus the Tysha episode probably made Tywin think that Tyrion was somebody who would easily get into trouble (thus damage the reputation of House Lannister) and be taken advantage of easily (thus damaging the reputation of House Lannister)

Archived