‘The Knick’ Canceled

AncalagonTheBlack

‘The Knick’ Canceled After 2 Seasons As Cinemax Focuses On Action Dramas

Cinemax has made it official — Steven Soderbergh’s The Knick will not produce more seasons beyond the two that already had aired. Clive Owen, who starred in the first two seasons, had said that he was done, though the network had left the door slightly open for another installment with a new lead actor. Cinemax will now focus completely on its recalibrated original programming strategy — launched recently with the pickups of new Strike Back series and Rellik — as the network is returning to the type of fare that launched its push into original primetime series: fun, high-octane, action, pulpy, straight-to-series dramas done in a cost-effective way primarily as international co-productions.

“After a critically acclaimed two-season run of The Knick on Cinemax, we will not be going forward with additional episodes of the series,” said Antholis, president, HBO Miniseries and Cinemax Programming. “Despite our pride in and affection for the series, as well as our respect for and gratitude towards Steven Soderbergh and his team, we have decided to return Cinemax to its original primetime series fare of high-octane action dramas, many of which will be internationally co-produced.”

The Knick was part of a push into high-end, homegrown drama series initiative at HBO sibling Cinemax. It started with Banshee, which ran for four seasons, followed by The Knick, Outcast, whose second season doesn’t have a premiere date yet, and Quarry, whose renewal for a second season appears unlikely.

A real pity,this show should never have been on Cinemax,but rather on HBO:(. for one thing,it would have garnered more awards and we would likely get more seasons.Hopefully some other network can grab this.

55 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I had no idea the show wasn't already canceled.  

Because Soderbergh had an idea of following the hospital through the ages - with seasons 3-4 being 30-50 years later and then 5-6 being another time jump forward.  Cinemax probably didn't like the idea of turning over the entire cast, and full scale set adjustments for an existing show.

Damnit. Like others have said, not surprising but still disappointing.

Seeing another season of the Knick in the depression-era thirties or even the roaring twenties might've been pretty interesting, far more so than if it were set in the fifties. Alas, what could've been... 

16 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Yes it did.  I'm sure they could have continued on from there, but it was such a conclusive end that I had no idea the show wasn't already canceled.  

I'll try and track it down - everyone here seemed to regard it highly.

Archived