Let's discuss crackpottery

Ser Loras The Gay

12 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

It is Schrodinger's Syrio. GRRM literally had nothing else to write about him, and after years of fans asking if he was alive and Jaqen he took the standard cop out and left it up to the reader. So Syrio is both dead and alive in the novel

He'd say that if it was true, and was a planned reveal for later. Or if they just happened to be two Bravosi in the same place with an interest in Arya and nothing more.. :P

Just now, Ser Loras The Gay said:

It's a crackpottery thread. The "theories" don't have to make any sense. I liked the idea of the theory because it was too absurd.

Totally understood. :) It's just that that one is so mindbogglingly cracked of pot it deserved a double-take. I've never heard that one; how is supposed to work?

@Dorian Martell's son man... you didn't disappoint me. My sides are hurting. Do you know how this theory started? And why people discredit so much of the books. How many times the books explicitly lied to us as readers? I can't remember many. It's just like the Aegon Blackfyre theory, where the evidence was only the fact that we can't trust neither Varys or Illyrio. 

1 minute ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Wait, what?

Yeah it's a very weird theory, but Varys has also speculated to be a merman.

Also the complete unsupported idea that there is a secret space opera plot going on in the background/backstory of game of thrones (so secret that it's not even in the book) with a blackhole moon and aliens that built the oily stone places and the werid seasons being a result of a cosmic event and not magical and apparently the fight between the Mountain and Oberyn is a metaphor for that (because that wouldn't make the story stupid and artificial at all)

As for other crackpot metaphors:

The Sloe Eyed Maid is a metaphor for Ashara Dayne and her supposed fate after RR.

and

The Gemstone Emperors are a metaphor for characters in the storyline and give clues to their eventual fates.

5 minutes ago, Therae said:

Totally understood. :) It's just that that one is so mindbogglingly cracked of pot it deserved a double-take. I've never heard that one; how is supposed to work?

When Varys said he liked Ned and then said the realm needs honourable men like him and tried to persuade him to take the black and failed, he then comes back with a FM and change his identity. Varys had motives to keep Ned alive, had the opportunity to sneak out him from the Dungeon and so on. The real problem with the theory is that Ned wouldn't accept such a plan. Of course it's not the ONLY problem with the theory, but it doesn't fit Ned's personality.

Just now, Ser Loras The Gay said:

When Varys said he liked Ned and then said the realm needs honourable men like him and tried to persuade him to take the black and failed, he then comes back with a FM and change his identity. Varys had motives to keep Ned alive, had the opportunity to sneak out him from the Dungeon and so on. The real problem with the theory is that Ned wouldn't accept such a plan.

I don't think the headless FM would be too keen on it, either. ;)

This is the most fun thread I've seen in a while--bravo, ser!

5 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

The Gemstone Emperors are a metaphor for characters in the storyline and give clues to their eventual fates.

Please explain that to me.

And, omg. I thought the most far fetched theory of all was the Ned being alive, but this one about Varys being a Merman takes the cake.

Any others you guys want to share here?

1 minute ago, Therae said:

I don't think the headless FM would be too keen on it, either. ;)

This is the most fun thread I've seen in a while--bravo, ser!

Thanks dude. Bring more dudes to the conversation, and let's wildly speculate about every single detail Martin let pass. Like the euron being Daario theory where the only """"""evidence"""""" is that Euron were never at the same place Daario was.

11 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

@Dorian Martell's son man... you didn't disappoint me. My sides are hurting. Do you know how this theory started? And why people discredit so much of the books. How many times the books explicitly lied to us as readers? I can't remember many. It's just like the Aegon Blackfyre theory, where the evidence was only the fact that we can't trust neither Varys or Illyrio. 

6 years between books. that is where these theories come from. And god forbid back up your statement with quotes from the book. 

I like the idea that Ashara Dayne married Howland Reed and is hiding out in the swamp.

I got a good laugh out of the theory that the kingsguards at the TOJ all survived and joined the NW under false names so that they could protect Jon when he joined up later (or something like that).  That's why Qhorin chose Jon for the ranging.

I enjoy Syrio/Jaqen theories even though I realize they are nonsensical.

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

I like the idea that Ashara Dayne married Howland Reed and is hiding out in the swamp.

That's a very veery common theory, but it's not supported by any quote from the book. It's a peculiar one also, it changes who was at the tower of joy, or simply adds someone.

1 hour ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Rheagar and Lyanna being married and Jon therefore being legitimate...

You're right, Jon is still a bastard even if they had married. Poligomy even with targs in Westeros wasn't very well seen.

I need more crazy crackpots you guys can do it better.

48 minutes ago, Tom Cruise said:

Why do people think Syrio is dead?

Because he is. Hahahhaa

1 hour ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Rheagar and Lyanna being married and Jon therefore being legitimate...

Because, yeah, that's the only thing standing between him and the iron throne.

Lol this is great, also excellent avatar.

I personally hate any Rhaegar's rubies mean he was glamoured and Robert didn't really kill him crackpot.

I love all Ashara Dayne is alive and is fill-in-the-blank's mom with fill-in-the-blank as the dad.

38 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

That's a very veery common theory, but it's not supported by any quote from the book. It's a peculiar one also, it changes who was at the tower of joy, or simply adds someone.

You're right, Jon is still a bastard even if they had married. Poligomy even with targs in Westeros wasn't very well seen.

I need more crazy crackpots you guys can do it better.

Because he is. Hahahhaa

Show me some text.  Last we know about Syrio is he schooled a bunch of guards with a stick because he was too quick to be touched.  I'm assuming when he lost his stick he just ran away quickly?  Seriously is there any real evidence of him being killed by Trant?

Archived