Let's discuss crackpottery

Ser Loras The Gay

On 3/29/2017 at 2:16 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

The others being misunderstood
The CTOF being evil 

Yes because the race humanity fought for thousands of years could never be evil but the group we fought once for a generation (say 20 years) are undeniably evil and are the true enemy. :P

17 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I read the theory, it is really crackpot, so here it is 

15 hours ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Hey, you should be honoured!

There are no hard feelings. Everybody is the smartest person in their own world and I know I'm no exception to that.

My favorite crackpots are mostly my own. But I have to say one of the best threads ever was the one with the theory that Sandor and Gregor might be brothers. 

Please make me stop laughing HAHAHHAHA. Do you have this thread??? I need to see someone rationalzing this.

The books are so complex that you can easily find textual evidence for any random crackpot you come up with, if you ignore the internal logic of the story, rather like a religious fundamentalist focusing on obscure points of doctrine while ignoring the central tenets if the faith.  For a while I thought Rhaegar was the Elder Brother, until I realized that being dead was part of the whole point of Rhaegar--the guy who screwed up and then got himself killed leaving others to clean up the mess. If we want to know what he was thinking we will have to look for a secret diary or long-lost companion (good luck with that).  On the other hand, the Blackfyre theory has zero textual evidence bit makes a certain amount of sense in terms of explaining what Varys and Illyrio are doing.

The theory I despise the most is the one about Bloodraven manipulating everything from afar.  Or any theory involving a deus ex machina or (worse) a Gandalf-type figure.  This is a story about a bunch if people with insufficient information, unstable power bases and conflicting motivations stumbling about blindfold in a world ruled by hostile and inpredictable forces.

• 3 weeks later...

The Starks are part Other. After all, it´s quite a coincident that the Others appear once things go downhill for the Starks. They´re coming to their relatives aid!

On a serious note I like the theory that Ashara Dayne faked her death to become Septa Lemore and that Aegon really is who he claims to be. Still think he will die. though.

2 hours ago, naali said:

On a serious note I like the theory that Ashara Dayne faked her death to become Septa Lemore and that Aegon really is who he claims to be. Still think he will die. though.

But the Aegon being really Aegon is not a theory. Is canon (as far as the text says until now). Theory is that he's NOT aegon. And I like the Septa Lemore one. It'll be sick if it turns out to be true.

3 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

A rather interesting one I read was that Gerold "Darkstar" Dayne is actually Jaehaerys Targaryen, one of Aerys and Rhaella's many dead children (in case you're wondering, he is the one that was born and died before Viserys).

That one is actually interesting. It'd explain why the heck Doran sent the useless Aero hotah to find him.

2 hours ago, Rikkisix said:

My personal favorite not so crack pot theory when you think about it is, that the Dusky Woman is Tywin Lannister, and he's also a skin changer, i would give this a read if you seek the truth.

dude. wtf.

On 4/1/2017 at 0:15 PM, CornishDornish said:

Podrick Payne is in possession of the sword of the morning....in his pants.

Books only mate keep that show nonsense out of here.

Archived