Renly was the true steel

why does everyone blame Renly for Stannis's mistake

225 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Darkstream said:

Either that, or he just wanted to insult Stannis again. :leaving:

How is Ned being named Hand an insult to Stannis and not in weird petty entitled Stannis sense?

18 minutes ago, Minsc said:

How is Ned being named Hand an insult to Stannis

It was a joke. If you haven't noticed, I had just conceded this very argument - in relation to Dragonstone - that I've been making for the last couple of pages.

Thus this little dude :leaving: running away after the comment.

Edited by Darkstream

I would add however, that I do lean towards Ravenous Readers thoughts on Stannis being named hand. I feel that a lot of people are putting to much emphasis on the relationship Stannis has with the rest of the Lords in the Kingdom. Ruling, or administering the affairs of a Kingdom shouldn't be about your popularity and making friends. You need a take no bullshit aproach, and a hard and unrelenting attitude when negotiating with the other Lords. 

Besides, Robert already brings that advantage to the table - the popular, sociable King who can throw tourneys and make friends. Together, if they could have managed to get along, they would have been a formidable team.

And that is the tragedy that befell Stannis and Renly as well. I'm sure there are peaches aplenty throughout the Seven Kingdoms; If only they could have found a way to share them.

Edited by Darkstream

54 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Ruling, or administering the affairs of a Kingdom shouldn't be about your popularity and making friends. You need a take no bullshit aproach, and a hard and unrelenting attitude when negotiating with the other Lords.

Well if you want a lot of rebellions and other conflicts with your nobles.  Under feudalism it was important for the king to have good relationship with their lords. 

3 hours ago, Minsc said:

Well if you want a lot of rebellions and other conflicts with your nobles.  Under feudalism it was important for the king to have good relationship with their lords. 

Yes, and that is where Robert comes in, he is the King in this scenario - not Stannis - and has the final say. Both Stannis and Robert lack the attributes that the other has, of which are necessary to competently run a kingdom.

Edited by Darkstream