U.S. Politics: High Nunes or Russian to Judgement

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In a strange irony the EPA scores a victory for science, evidence and risk-based decision-making against reactionary activism. A decision that would possibly to go the other way under a Democratic EPA administration. And it is brilliant news for international trade.

I helped to draft the New Zealand submission to the EPA opposing the proposed ban. So I am definitely celebrating this decision.

There remains an issue for the USA to grapple with. Chlorpyrifos is present in water sources in a few places in the USA which leads to small populations of people being exposed to this pesticide at levels above what is general considered to be safe. But the proposed ban was a sledgehammer  wrecking-ball to a nut. Hopefully the EPA can come up with a solution that will protect those local populations without causing a major disturbance in world agricultural trade.

the poster child for this is the DDT ban that led to millions of preventable malaria deaths

4 minutes ago, Commodore said:

the poster child for this is the DDT ban that led to millions of preventable malaria deaths

That number is hotly refuted. Mosquito resistance to DDT was increasing, largely because of widespread agricultural use. And poor management and implementation of realistic alternatives is the reason for a post ban rise in illness, so the banning of DDT per se wasn't directly the cause of increased mortality.

The DDT ban for agricultural use at least was the right science, evidence and risk-based decision, unlike the proposed ban on chlorpyrifos.

If the use of DDT had actually always been limited to human disease vector control its use for that purpose probably would have been continuous and ongoing until either mosquito resistance rendered it ineffective or the diseases thenselves had been largely eradicated or the mosquitos had developed resistance. And that sort of limited use would not have put wildlife, like the bald eagle, in danger.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They got conned, but they also failed to fully understand what Trump was saying. The energy policies that Trump's proposed during the campaign would put coal miners out of business.

Con meets shaft.  Trump keeps saying he's gonna bring coal back, I dunno, maybe the dumbshit believes it.  Trouble is, believing something doens't make it true, nor does using coal mine workers as the prop to one's stage.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

It's their own fault though.  It really is.  Because they remain in denial about the progress of sustainable, cleaner energy sources and technologies -- even when  it is in their faces. The wind turbines delivering electricity to so much of PA march across the PA coal country ridges but they insist they are not there.  Instead they take people underground and complain at high volume of how evil the coal corporations treated they great, grand, and fathers, how they screwed them over every time in terms of pay and safety and hiring practices, yet they utterly hated Hillary as the most evil person who every lived and supported Trump even with their bits of money.

Could Trump be in denial like this as well?  He's keeps on keeping on that coal is on the cusp of a bigly comeback.  I guess De Nile ain't a river in PA, and other places. 

I guess clean coal is a really good example of the downfall of reality based politics. But perhaps also demonstration of how message delivery can be more harmful than the message.

I haven't read or heard directly what Hillary said about the future fortunes of the coal industry. But it seemed like she more or less told coal miners that "coal is dying, get over it". Perhaps a bit of sympathy for their situation, some gratitude for the historical contribution their generations made to the economic prosperity of the USA, and an optimistic outlook for new directions that did not consign future generations to jobs that put life and limb at risk on a daily basis might have helped Hillary in those states.

Huh. Surprised you didn't go after this.

As Flynn himself said in September, you don't go after immunity deals if you haven't done something illegal.

Now, whether or not what he did that was illegal has anything to do with the Russians or the campaign is up in the air, honestly, and I would bet instead that his not reporting that he was an agent of Turkey and had tried to get Gullen out of the US without extradition is the real crime - that, or lying to the FBI and lying on his SF-86 questionnaire. But it certainly is something to see. 

Just getting ready to post from the WSJ article, so I'll just post this from it;

He has made the offer to the FBI and the House and Senate intelligence committees through his lawyer but has so far found no takers, the officials said.

Mr. Flynn’s attorney, Robert Kelner, declined to comment.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-flynn-offers-to-testify-in-exchange-for-immunity-1490912959

Put the fucker in jail.

Oh that Pence, he sure hates the wimmins.

Pence breaks tie in Senate vote targeting Planned Parenthood funding     

With a rare tie-breaking vote from Vice President Mike Pence, the Senate on Thursday sent a bill to President Donald Trump’s desk giving states permission to withhold federal family planning funds from Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers.

Pence and Republican Sen. Johnny Isakson, who is recovering from back surgery and used a walker inside the chamber, were dramatically summoned to the Capitol to help pass the measure by a razor-thin margin.

All of the chamber's Democrats opposed the legislation, as did Republican Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, who have long opposed blocking funding for the family planning organization. The GOP holds a 52-48 majority in the Senate.

Rare? This is the second time he's cast the tie breaking vote, I would expect more of these votes in the future.

N.C. governor signs measure repealing controversial 'bathroom law'        

The law – which repeals HB2 but restricts local anti-discrimination ordinances until 2020 – comes at a key time for the state.

This is why this repeal is so shitty.  The R's took away the anti-discrimination ordinances from one city and acted out with a bad law.  The bathroom law was only part of what they did and gee, that's back, but now it's illegal for four years to not make new laws that would give equality and protections to people?   Shitty, shitty law from shitty, shitty lawmakers.  

But hey, it did meet an important deadline:

The National Collegiate Athletic Association is expected to announce site locations for championships and tournaments in the coming weeks, and it had threatened to keep games out of the state until House Bill 2 was repealed

1 hour ago, Commodore said:

for what?

Hey, he's already admitting he's guilty of something, right? He wouldn't be asking for immunity if he wasn't guilty, he told us months ago only the guilty ask for immunity.

Besides, all kinds of Washington commentators discussed his late filing of information about acting for the Turkish government was classically what people who are about to be charged with a crime do, clean up everything they can before the charges come down.

1 hour ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Oh that Pence, he sure hates the wimmins.

Pence breaks tie in Senate vote targeting Planned Parenthood funding     

Rare? This is the second time he's cast the tie breaking vote, I would expect more of these votes in the future.

Republicans are seriously the stupidest motherfuckers I've ever encountered. 

They dislike abortion for really dumb reasons.  Ok, whatever.  So the best cure for that is to make sure that women's reproductive health is radically funded.  Ya know, like lots of money towards birth control and education. Nothing stops an abortion like not getting fucking pregnant.  IUD's ftw.  Only, Republicans are so brain dead that they can't seem to make these connections and decide that abortions will decrease by making access to family planning that much more difficult.

Like, how do these people manage to get dressed in the morning without major assistance?

What I actually came to post - I accidentally re-opened the Christopher Steele draft report that had been circulated last fall. Makes interesting re-reading.

The Trump campaign had a mole in Democratic headquarters, for one. I forgot that.

The Russians would disrupt the campaign of Clinton in exchange for the Trump group providing information about Russian zillionaires and what they were doing in the US. Putin, I understand, has been looking for zillionaires trying to hide money. The Trump group has sold all kinds of real estate to them.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the reason Trump has been paranoid about Obama wiretapping him because he's had Russian zillionaires wiretapped for Putin?

Also in exchange for that information, the Russians would not reveal embarrassing information they have about the Trump organization and .....China. Trump tried to make headway in Russia, both in Moscow and in St. Petersburg, apparently, and failed miserably. But he has all kinds links to China, relationships built on bribes. Nice.

7 hours ago, Swordfish said:

It's funny to me that people still cling to this talking point.

if you're looking for blame for the stuff Comey did, you should be looking no further than Loretta Lynch and Bill Clinton.

Once they met on that plane, Comey had few options left to him.

3 hours ago, Swordfish said:

I'm not really interested in getting into this again.  I think that people either believed or did not believe the email stuff by the time he came out the second time around and the first time he spoke on it was a DIRECT result of slick Willy boarding that plane. Once that happened, he was basically boxed into talking about it.

And if she hadn't bungled the handling of that whole mess, it would not have been an issue to begin with.  

Regardless of the impact though, there's no evidence that his MOTIVATION was to undermine her campaign, which is what gets asserted over and over.  That's the part I find funny.  There's just no evidence of that.

The bolded is contradicted by the first reply.  Comey most certainly had the option of simply doing his job and reporting his recommendation to his boss.  Like, you know, every other FBI director since post-Hoover has done because they value their apolitical veneer for the same reason SCOTUS does - to maintain legitimacy.  Once you start throwing out terms like Comey being "boxed in," you're conceding the premise he had political rather than investigative motives in his actions.  The only way he would professionally be boxed in is if Lynch ignored his recommendation.  Obviously that did not happen, but only then should a FBI director go public.  You're right that his July press conference was a direct result of Bubba's tarmac takeover, but in admitting this you're conceding Comey was concerned about his own image, not the investigation.

3 hours ago, Commodore said:

That being said, I predict the next nominee will be Meg Ryan, and that it will be politically difficult to mount a filibuster against her. But best to have that option, because it will be even more difficult to get three GOP senators to oppose her. 

I'll have what she's having...

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

"We do not need a reckless President who believes she is above the law....lock her up, that's right......if I did a tenth of what she did I would be in jail."

Karma's such an awesome bitch.

except, yknow, karma isn't real and these people will face no true repurcussions

rhllors maudlin lobster has logged on here

Archived