Foot_Of_The_King

Alternative Novel (that will never happen/ but I can dream)

17 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. I've been reading this forum for years but I'm new to particpating in it.

Anyways, I'm sure many of you have had this same dream. Wouldn't it be awesome if one day another version of the novels were released but from different POVs? It would tell the exact story but from alternative views. We could see major events through the eyes of someone else in the room or get to see occurrences that happened completely off page.

I've been toying around with this idea in my head a lot recently. What I'd like from everyone here is to see what events/POVs you think would be perfect for this scenario.

Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I have always though to that, and it would even make sense artistically.

Some important characters couldn't be POVs because their schemes or knowledge would ruin the twists, surprises, revelations and such. When series is done, there are no more surprises about the story to be had, so GRRM could indulge us. Imagine say Littlefinger or Varys chapters, it would also be a good way to answer some lingering questions or confusions not addressed by main series. Perspective shift alone can make for interesting reading and I don't doubt that GRRM could make it great read even thought we know the general line of events.

It's not going to happen though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish AFfC and ADwD were the alternative novels that showed us the world from different regions and perspectives. I'd love it if the "real book IV of ASoIaF" to be a fast-paced continuation of the core story set in the first three novels (preferably after a 5-year gap).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that got me thinking about this was the Sam chapter from AFFC and the Jon chapter from ADWD that happened concurrently. As far as I know, it's the only time we get this in the novels. Even with the trivial event of Sam getting the news that he's going to Oldtown, it's really fascinating to see this from two different sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

another version of the novels were released but from different POVs

Yes, you just keep sayin' this, and watch GRRM enthusiastically dive in and re-write ASOIAF 1-5 like that. While several of us continue waiting with bated breath and diminishing hope for #6+ ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hangover of the Morning said:

I wish AFfC and ADwD were the alternative novels that showed us the world from different regions and perspectives. I'd love it if the "real book IV of ASoIaF" to be a fast-paced continuation of the core story set in the first three novels (preferably after a 5-year gap).

So much this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice OP @Foot_Of_The_King.  I would definitely want perspectives from Osha, Robb, more Melisandre, Tywin (oh to hear his perspective on Tyrion who I thought Tywin treated fairly), Maester Luwin, Maester Aemon, The Hound, Selyse... plenty of good ones.

2 hours ago, zandru said:

Yes, you just keep sayin' this, and watch GRRM enthusiastically dive in and re-write ASOIAF 1-5 like that. While several of us continue waiting with bated breath and diminishing hope for #6+ ...

Lmao yup pretty much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I would love to read more about the Lannisters' triumphant march to glory, I would actually rather read other authors with a similar outlook and philosophy of GRRM write their own stories and show us new characters, worlds and fates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the plot at and beyond the Wall, so I'd probably go for the Old Bear Jeor Mormont. I imagine we would be spared the angsting and whining of Jon and Sam. Also, an outside view of House Stark from one of the Northern nobles would be nice.

Then again, I really like Arya's and Brienne's chapters because through these two we get a glimpse of how all the scheming and the wars affect the majority of Westeros' population. I'd be thrilled about a POV from some of the smallfolk or at least someone who is not nobility. Yoren, Harwin, Septa Mordane, Gendry, Hot Pie, Shae, Pod, Masha Heddle...

Religious zealotry is really not my thing, but I suspect more Melisandre would probably change our perception of the whole myth arc considerably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I don't think this is necessary, I can get behind the idea from a creative standpoint.

Here are some PsOV I think would work nicely:

-any Tyrell
-Stannis
-Podrick
-Roose
-Walder Frey
-Jeyne Westerling
-Tywin Lannister
-Viserys Targaryen 
-Benjen Stark (after all we need to know where the heck he's been all this time)
-Sandor Clegane
-Dog
-Oberyn or Doran Martell
-Thoros of Myr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some events (especially in the early books) that have multiple POVs in them.  Some I would like to see from different viewpoints:

Joffrey and Mycah (Arya)

Ned's execution (Sansa)

King's Landing riot (Sansa)

I would also like to see Sandor Clegane's thoughts on Sansa and Arya, and Margaery Tyrell's on Cersei and events in KL in AFFC.

Podrick telling of his time with Brienne would be interesting as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lannister Story:  Tywin, Jaime, and Cersei try valiantly to keep the evil, treacherous Starks and Tullys from destroying everything good about Westeros.  "No one is ever the villain in their own story" - George R.R. Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love a Catch 22 style version centered around the various watches; gold cloaks, nights watch, possibly citadel and/or hall of black and white. Edd would be the Yossarian, and non-chronological chapters would be splendid.

It works so well:

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you"

"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on"

"I hate them consciously"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

-Roose
-Walder Frey

I'd love to see those two planning the red wedding with Twyin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2017 at 2:23 PM, Bhotharh said:

I love the plot at and beyond the Wall, so I'd probably go for the Old Bear Jeor Mormont. I imagine we would be spared the angsting and whining of Jon and Sam. Also, an outside view of House Stark from one of the Northern nobles would be nice.

Then again, I really like Arya's and Brienne's chapters because through these two we get a glimpse of how all the scheming and the wars affect the majority of Westeros' population. I'd be thrilled about a POV from some of the smallfolk or at least someone who is not nobility. Yoren, Harwin, Septa Mordane, Gendry, Hot Pie, Shae, Pod, Masha Heddle...

Religious zealotry is really not my thing, but I suspect more Melisandre would probably change our perception of the whole myth arc considerably.

I would LOVE this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now