Why is Olenna REDWYNE suddenly the head of House Tyrell?

I have avoided making a thread for a very long time about this, mostly because it would essentially be me just venting unfairly when D&D have already thrown the lore & rules of inheritance out the window a few seasons back like it means nothing anymore. There are so many threads I could make to bitch about a multitude of things like Jon becoming King even though he is a bastard & Sansa would obviously be next in line since Rickon is dead & Bran is MIA, The North forgetting even though they hold guest right sacred and almost every northern house lost family members at the RW, which was a huge violation of guest right, Dorne, I don't even need to say anything about that one, or Euron's grand plan being to give Daenerys his "big cock" instead of using a dragon horn to take control of one of her dragons which would of been way better. I still cannot fathom why they didn't go with that. There's a lot more but this thread is for one I cannot stand and it's a pretty simple one as well they could of been avoided so easily.

Despite popular belief, Oleanna is NOT a Tyrell, yes she married into the family and yes she could keep the last name after being widowed, but she was born a Redwyne and shouldn't be in line to inherit The Reach. Catelyn Stark didn't get to take over shit when Ned died, their son Rob did who actually was the next in line. There is no way Mace & Loras were the only actually Tyrells in the show universe, Margaery even mentions other Tyrells back in Season 3. I'm not hating Oleanna as a character or anything she is great, but this show prided itself on trying to stay true the to source material & realism to an extent up until Season 4, but ever since George has went back to fully focusing on the books D&D's mediocrity has started showing & their lack of caring about the world in general has taken the forefront. D&D could you actually stick to realistic land inheritance in this show or is even that too much to ask for anymore? Are you that cheap that you can't hire one more actor to portray a new Tyrell to take over, hell you could of introduced Willas or Garlan as a nephew to Mace since you established that Loras was Mace's only child. I get people like Oleanna and you could of had her there meeting with the Dornish but beside the new Head of House Tyrell. They're introducing Highgarden this upcoming season and if they don't introduce an actual member of House Tyrell my head may explode.

The Cersei situation is much different she took over through no legal means, she took the Throne through force after her son died and House Baratheon was believed to have been wiped out at that point. House Tyrell is not wiped out. The Lannisters and Tyrells are two prominent families with the most living family members presently so neither should be anywhere close to extinction. I'm like 100% sure nobody is as bothered by this as me, but to me it's them insulting our intelligence & them simply being lazy. Anyone else care to share their thoughts about this?

On 3/29/2017 at 10:51 PM, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

I have avoided making a thread for a very long time about this, mostly because it would essentially be me just venting unfairly when D&D have already thrown the lore & rules of inheritance out the window a few seasons back like it means nothing anymore. There are so many threads I could make to bitch about a multitude of things like Jon becoming King even though he is a bastard & Sansa would obviously be next in line since Rickon is dead & Bran is MIA, The North forgetting even though they hold guest right sacred and almost every northern house lost family members at the RW, which was a huge violation of guest right, Dorne, I don't even need to say anything about that one, or Euron's grand plan being to give Daenerys his "big cock" instead of using a dragon horn to take control of one of her dragons which would of been way better. I still cannot fathom why they didn't go with that. There's a lot more but this thread is for one I cannot stand and it's a pretty simple one as well they could of been avoided so easily.

Despite popular belief, Oleanna is NOT a Tyrell, yes she married into the family and yes she could keep the last name after being widowed, but she was born a Redwyne and shouldn't be in line to inherit The Reach. Catelyn Stark didn't get to take over shit when Ned died, their son Rob did who actually was the next in line. There is no way Mace & Loras were the only actually Tyrells in the show universe, Margaery even mentions other Tyrells back in Season 3. I'm not hating Oleanna as a character or anything she is great, but this show prided itself on trying to stay true the to source material & realism to an extent up until Season 4, but ever since George has went back to fully focusing on the books D&D's mediocrity has started showing & their lack of caring about the world in general has taken the forefront. D&D could you actually stick to realistic land inheritance in this show or is even that too much to ask for anymore? Are you that cheap that you can't hire one more actor to portray a new Tyrell to take over, hell you could of introduced Willas or Garlan as a nephew to Mace since you established that Loras was Mace's only child. I get people like Oleanna and you could of had her there meeting with the Dornish but beside the new Head of House Tyrell. They're introducing Highgarden this upcoming season and if they don't introduce an actual member of House Tyrell my head may explode.

The Cersei situation is much different she took over through no legal means, she took the Throne through force after her son died and House Baratheon was believed to have been wiped out at that point. House Tyrell is not wiped out. The Lannisters and Tyrells are two prominent families with the most living family members presently so neither should be anywhere close to extinction. I'm like 100% sure nobody is as bothered by this as me, but to me it's them insulting our intelligence & them simply being lazy. Anyone else care to share their thoughts about this?

Because those who would be in the line of succession, I.e. Willas and Garlan Tyrell, Mace's elder sons are adapted out, along with any of Mace's siblings.

12 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Why is Oberyn's girlfriend the ruler of Dorne?

because....reasons I guess? lol

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Because those who would be in the line of succession, I.e. Willas and Garlan Tyrell, Mace's elder sons are adapted out, along with any of Mace's siblings.

Like I said, they have mentioned other Tyrells in the show. So Mace, Loras & Margaery weren't the only Tyrells. They've only confirmed that Mace had only one son. Doesn't mean there aren't other Tyrells out there that aren't from the Luthor Tyrell line.

Because keep it simple, stupid. A lot of the adaptations they've made have insulted our intelligence and they've gone for the easiest way out. In their defense - to adapt this faithfully would have been a nightmare. That said, they've not done a great job with several threads and plot points.

I prefer to think that Olena is not the ruler, but is speaking for whoever is ruling and being the envoy to Dorne much as Cat spoke with Renly for Robb.

Process of elimination. There may be other Tyrells in the show universe, but D&D have no reason to add more characters at a point in the story where they're trying to simplify and streamline plots as much as possible. The audience already knows and likes Olenna, so why not use her?

Also, the Tyrells are done for. Olenna herself spelled out that the house has no future and that all she wants is revenge. What point would there be to introducing another character at a time when even the most casual show viewers can tell that the Tyrells are already in freefall?

Lastly, Olenna has always been the brains behind the Tyrell operation. Even if there are Tyrells in the mix, if there are any major decisions to be made, she will be the one making them.

exactly what other tyrells would you be expecting to take over? loras, margaery, and loras all died in the sept...

would you rather unnamed tyrell cousin no #2 to swoop in and suddenly be character, so you can complain about how they suddenly threw in a random character which makes no sense and is an insult to your intelligence?

Archived