What are you listening to? XXIII - What sounds are you putting into your ears!?

Theda Baratheon

On 5/15/2017 at 3:43 PM, Zorral said:

Afro Latin, particularly Cuban and Puerto Rican.  Which is what we do all the time, but particularly this spring, with so many great events everywhere here featuring these artists.  Last night at the Blue Note we listened to Chucho Valdes and his quartette.  There's no point in even saying they were great, because that's just how it is.  Tonight Eddie Palmieri ends, I think .... his run at Subrosa.

The great thing about all this is that so many friends gather to hear these great artists, including so many who are visiting from elsewhere.  Additionally a lot of the musicians in the scene show up, and then get called up to do a number or two.  So, its an audience that knows why it is there on all levels, and the rooms just fill with delight and joy.

Music is even more important now, as it gets communities out of the house, off the screen, and bonding in real time in real bodies, and that creates so much positive energy.  We need all the positive energy we can get!

there is a whole shit ton of badass compilations of under-appreciated stuff like this put out by some of those old specialty re-issue labels. if you ever want to get out and explore a little bit check out some of the comps put out by soul jazz and sound way -- some personal favorites include "panama! latin, calypso, and funk on the isthmus 1965-75" and the "tropicalia" series and go from there

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 0:47 AM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Violent Femmes-Kiss Off

You can all just kiss off into the air

Behind my back I can see them stare

They hurt me bad, but I don't mind

They hurt me bad, they do it all the time

*Yeah, yeah*

Yeah they do it all the time

*Yeah, yeah*

Thanks. That brings back memories of my wasted youth. Blister In The Sun was an awesome album.

5 hours ago, maarsen said:

Thanks. That brings back memories of my wasted youth. Blister In The Sun was an awesome album.

Yeah, those guys are aces. And they're touring with Echo and the Bunnymen! How awesome would that be?

http://vfemmes.com/tour/

/Looks like the closest they're coming to me is Saratoga, Ca. Going to try to talk my brother into going.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, those guys are aces. And they're touring with Echo and the Bunnymen! How awesome would that be?

/Looks like the closest they're coming to me is Saratoga, Ca. Going to try to talk my brother into going.

They are coming to where I live, in Toronto. One month after my 61st  birthday. 

Chuggo-C'mon Fucking Guy (NSFW obviously)

I put Mayonnaise on everything, that's how I eat

Lakeshore Blvd, that's how I'm street

Can't say no to poonanny, that's how I'm weak

And I've been told I'm only nice when I sleep 

/Chuggo, redefining low budget since 2008

//The comments section is COMEDY GOLD

///SEE THAT YOGURT IN MY FRIDGE? THAT IS GREEK!

SEE THAT TINY LITTLE RIVER? THAT'S A CREEK!

THE STAR OF VARSITY BLUES? IS JAMES VAN DER BEEK!

YOU KNOW THEON GREYJOY? NOW HIS NAME IS REEK! 

On 5/28/2017 at 6:00 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

God I wish I was seeing one of the violent femmes/echo and the bunnymen gigs. ..

That would be fckn lush...

The Dillinger Escape Plans entire discography has been the main staple of my rotation for the past week. I went to their last infamous last NYC show last October and everything, but I don't think the reality of their breakup really started to hit me until recently. God what a band, maybe the last band from my middle/high school years that were still around and still consistently putting out good music.

Archived