What are you listening to? XXIII - What sounds are you putting into your ears!?

Theda Baratheon

Since yesterday I listen on repeat to I promise, an unreleased Radiohead song from OK Computer session and I simply can't wrap my head around the fact, that such a brilliant song might have been kept in a drawer for twenty years.

By the way, the video is shot in Warsaw. :) They used oldfashioned buses from twenty years ago, but it's been shot quite recently

Last night, the Central Park Summer Stage opener: Toshi Reagon and Mavis Staples.  Woo, Toshi and her big band of big women kick ass!

This morning, Van Morrison's most recent album, Keep Me Singing (2016). 

On 2017-6-3 at 10:04 PM, 3CityApache said:

Since yesterday I listen on repeat to I promise, an unreleased Radiohead song from OK Computer session and I simply can't wrap my head around the fact, that such a brilliant song might have been kept in a drawer for twenty years.

By the way, the video is shot in Warsaw. :) They used oldfashioned buses from twenty years ago, but it's been shot quite recently

Wow - I love this! Thanks for posting..

On 03/06/2017 at 10:04 PM, 3CityApache said:

That was a good song, thanks for posting it. I think Radiohead had an excess of material in the mid-late 90s, they had some good b-sides about that time as well.

share the segments of songs (or whole songs) that honestly make your heart hurt because the last minute of Gladys Knight singing this song is just breathtaking and this is my favourite version (2:26 onwards in particular) is just gorgeous

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think Radiohead had an excess of material in the mid-late 90s, they had some good b-sides about that time as well.

True, some b-sides from around that time were also great. But this particular song has that something special, that makes me want to listen to it all over again. It could easily be on OK Computer. It should have, mind you.

And there are quite a few fun facts connected to the video. For example the woman standing outside of the bus near the end of the song is Agata Buzek, quite well known Polish actress, who happens to also be the daughter of our former prime minister and the former chairman of the European Parliament.

And the old graffiti in Polish near the fire tells: "I miss you Jew". It was a kind of provocative artistic performance which made quite a buzz few years back.

Anyway, can't wait for the anniversary edition of OK Computer now. If the other two unreleased songs would also be as great, it will be something to remember.

Someone mention Mavis Staples upthread?

What a collection of people gathered here (both onstage and off), and Mavis Staples was a perfect pick for this reverential, emotion filled song where the audience brings it home with Sir Paul (and guests):D These Kennedy Center performances are really something.

On June 4, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Leap said:

Keep listening to AC/DC - For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)

Say what you will about the band's wider discography, but this is such a brilliant, anthemic song. I think I even prefer it to Highway to Hell. 

Agreed, I think its my fave of theirs as well.

On 07/06/2017 at 10:16 PM, williamjm said:

Arcade Fire's new song Everything Now. I think they're a great band, but my initial reaction to this song is that I'm a bit indifferent to it, although maybe it'll grow on me.

Hmmm. I like Arcade Fire but not sure about this one. But then their stuff usually grows on me over time so we'll see.

Wolf Alice, Yuk Foo. Excited to see the rest of the album.

On 6/9/2017 at 11:03 PM, Triskan said:

There was a women I used to work with who was in the discussion for hottest woman I knew, she was super cool too.  She was of an Ethopian background.  I never asked her about HS.  Wish I had now.  

ETA:  It was so crucial that the board knew this detail!

I think I can one up you on Halie Selassie tidbits of little or no import. I once won a game of Trivial Pursuit where he was the correct answer. I think the question was what former ruler of Ethiopia was known as the Lion of Judah, or something. The only reason I knew the answer was due to a Blues Brothers cover of King Floyd's Groove Me, wherein John Belushi refers to The Lion of Judah and proclaims Haile Selassie I!

Archived