larrytheimp

April Reads: What, fool, are you reading?!?

166 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2017 at 3:51 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Tried to read The Three Body Problem at has to dnf at like 30percent. Different strokes and all that jazz, but in my humble and always correct opinion, this book just fucking sucks, and the good reviews baffle me to the extreme.

I am SHOCKED.   The second book was even better.  The darkness of the author's view of human nature and the nature of life in general really shines.  I am very saddened by this review.

On 4/15/2017 at 8:59 PM, polishgenius said:

You didn't even get to the worst part.

I mean, I kind of enjoyed it while I was reading it despite regularly forehead slapping at the impressively imbecilic 'science' on offer, which repeatedly bulldozed past my line of suspension of disbelief (it has been a favourite peeve of mine since I read it that) but there's a reveal at the end that I found genuinely offensive when I thought about it.

I didn't find the science to tough to swallow.  I found it whimsical. 

On 4/15/2017 at 9:16 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I'd say I don;t like hard scifi but I'm not sure how this is hard sci fi since the science is...wonky at best. I dunno.

What part of the ending did you find offensive? I can think of a few things.

ZOMG.  I thought we were FRIENDS!!!!!

On 4/16/2017 at 3:43 AM, polishgenius said:

And no, it was one of my major criticisms that it pretends to be hard-SF but really isn't. I can handle soft, silly science- it just bugs me when it's presented like real science or at least ideas based on real concepts (like, Neil Stephenson writes in a similar manner and his ideas can go waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy out there but you can always follow how he got from real concepts to where he got. Not so here).

Think my favourite moment of scientific stupidity, beyond the broad, all-book one I mentioned above, was when he realised he had a inaccuracy regarding the amplitude of a signal and how detectable it would be and decided he had to fix it but used a fix that was orders more stupid and ridiculous, by my understanding, than the original problem which I, at least, almost certainly wouldn't have noticed or would at least have let pass.

Liu tends to run towards silly even ridiculous.  The Wandering Earth has shorter pieces that begin with a symbiotic ant / dinosaur society and get more ludicrous from there.  He's marvelous.

On 4/16/2017 at 4:15 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah, the whole book felt very ANTI science. Also probably didn't help that I know ZERO about China and it's history. That, I must rectify.

No it wasn't.  Not at all.  It was just very pessimistic about human nature.

On 4/18/2017 at 5:22 PM, williamjm said:

I thought The Three Body Problem tended to be at its best when it was less involved with the scientific parts of the storyline. I thought the bits set during the Cultural Revolution did a good job of showing the oppressiveness of that time period, and I liked most of the scenes set inside the computer game, but wasn't so keen on the rest of the story.

:just lays down and dies:   WHY DO I EVEN COME HERE?????

:rofl:

To be honest none of that really matters, since I just found the writing to be terrible. :P

On 16.4.2017 at 11:15 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah, the whole book felt very ANTI science. Also probably didn't help that I know ZERO about China and it's history. That, I must rectify.

Check out Van Gulicks "Judge Dee" mysteries that are very enjoyable and have the very pleasant side effect of conveying a little about Chinese history (medieval, but many aspects were stable for almost two millenia, Old China is probably more impressive than the Orthodox church in that respect).

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

:rofl:

To be honest none of that really matters, since I just found the writing to be terrible. :P

The translator of the second book was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better IMHO.  His name is Joel Martinsen. The Dark Forest had a completely different feel.   Martinsen is translating another novel by Liu called Ball Lightning, coming out in November.  I CANNOT WAIT.

Maybe. I know everyone was all about Liu's translation of book 1, but well, I tried reading Ken Liu's epic fantasy, and the prose in that was god awful too. So maybe I'll give Ball Lightning a shot.

Interestingly most people seem to think the translation fro book 2 was as step down and pretty awful. *shrug*