Meanwhile in Stormlands

I am currently reading Feasts for Crows and Dance of Dragons. Storm's End is sieged and some Stormland lords are with Stannis in the Wall. But there is nothing more about Stormlands. What happens there? What do they think after Joffrey's death and Stannis' Nothern campaign? What is their position about siege of Storm's End?

I admit there is nothing about Reach and Westerlands either. But they live in peace. Because Tywin and Mace won the war.

The Stormlands in theory now belong to Tommen, as Renly is dead and Stannis attainted. But it's interesting that we don't get any info from there. Brienne isn't at home. Davos isn't at home. Beric is dead (maybe). Our basic power players for the Stormlands are pretty much out of town. 

I imagine their would still be many Baratheon loyalists, considering Robert was their young Liege Lord who slew the tyrannical King and took the crown. Such histrionics mean a great deal in a martial society, so I imagine many from The Stormlands would now hold Robert in the same high regard some dornish hold Nymeria. Such esteem would only have heightened in the wake of The King's death, considering all the horrible thing's that have happened since.

I think a big part of the reason why The Stormlander's mainly backed Renly over Stannis is due to the youngest Baratheon's physical similiarities to a youthful Robert, perhaps again showing this high praise for The Stag who Became King.With Renly's death and the failures of Stannis, their could be a swell of Baratheon related support should certain bastards reveal themselves.

What's the common talk in The Stormlands concerning Tommen's legitimacy? Neither this boy King, nor his brother before him, have done much in favour to their "ancestral kingdom" since taking the Throne, something that is bound to be spoken of in many taverns and longhalls. Think about all the Storm Lords who swore fealty to Joffrey, many would have seen first hand the boy's rotten presonality, and I'm sure none would have drawn many comparisons between him and Robert. 

Stannis' infamous letter is bound to have reached many a stormlander, so the incest talk is probably rife. Consider all of the Storm Lords who knew of, or met, Edric Storm. All would know of the boys resemblance to his father, and many could therefore be able to connect the same dots that Jon Arryn did, if they did a bit of research.

It's probable that the nature of King Robert's death would also be cause for much discussion around Green Stone, Blackhaven and Harvest Hall, amonst others, and many conspiracy theorist from the areas could be talking up a storm. It's not as if Cersei has done a great deal to play grieving widow, and during the Storm Lords bending of the knee in ASOS, she is in good spirits, planning weddings and making snide remarks at court for all to hear.Many of these Lords who knelt have now been sent home, so they apparently have a lot of time to sit and think about things. TWOIAF gives the impression that The Stormlanders have a very northern style of honour, so how will they react to news of Queen Cersei admitting to having slept with her cousin Lancel? It will only give extra oomph to the Cersei/Jaime incest allegations.

Many have suggested Aegon's supporters are harbouring Edric Storm in Lys, and are going to roll him out as an ally of the Dragon Prince, aswell as the new puppet Lord of Storm's End. This could be how they gain access to Storm's End. It's also a decent angle considering Edric and Aegon are technically family, so it would be good for Aegon to be surrounded by his last remaining kin, and would parallel The Dragon and Orys Baratheon.

I would imagine that many Stormlords are licking their wounds and wondering what's going on with the Golden Company invading. Its not like they have Facebook or CNN and can get a fresh hour-by-hour update on what the Golden Company fights for or even if it is the Golden Company.

And a further complication to this is that I think the Stormlords don't want to be burned again like they were on the Blackwater. They joined with Renly and then Stannis, thinking they would celebrate their victory in King's Landing but they got absolutely hammered by the Lannister-Tyrell sledge. I would imagine many Stormlords would try to figure out what's going on so that they don't join with the wrong side only to get smacked down again by the winner.

Does anyone else think it odd that we've just transitioned from one of the longest summers on record to what is likely will be one of the worst winters (a period of time known as autumn), and yet there have been no reports of significant storms battering the stormlands?This despite, as per the World Book, "... seafarers say that the worst of them come each autumn ..."

I know we don't have anyone on-site in the SL, but there should at least be some evidence of them in KL or on Crackclaw point, considering the storms this year should be worse than most.

45 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Does anyone else think it odd that we've just transitioned from one of the longest summers on record to what is likely will be one of the worst winters (a period of time known as autumn), and yet there have been no reports of significant storms battering the stormlands?This despite, as per the World Book, "... seafarers say that the worst of them come each autumn ..."

I know we don't have anyone on-site in the SL, but there should at least be some evidence of them in KL or on Crackclaw point, considering the storms this year should be worse than most.

Both Eastwatch and Arnolf Karstark report awful storms in the narrow sea. Aegon's ships are scattered by storms near the Stepstones, which force landings near all over Cape Wrath, Estermont, Tarth, and the stepstones. The Iron fleet is missing nearly half its ships by the time they reach the isle of cedars too.

There's plenty of indications storms are happening, we just don't know if they are particularly fierce or more par for the course.

3 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Both Eastwatch and Arnolf Karstark report awful storms in the narrow sea. Aegon's ships are scattered by storms near the Stepstones, which force landings near all over Cape Wrath, Estermont, Tarth, and the stepstones. The Iron fleet is missing nearly half its ships by the time they reach the isle of cedars too.

There's plenty of indications storms are happening, we just don't know if they are particularly fierce or more par for the course.

Yes, out at sea, in the Stepstones, the Narrow Sea, the Summer Sea -- everywhere, it seems, but the stormlands.

And when you look at the map, it seems odd that the stormlands would take the brunt of storms origination in the Summer Isles. They would first have to wend their way through the Stepstones, and at best crash into the southern part of the region at the Rainwood. To get to Storm's End by sea, they would have to travel north a few hundred miles and then make a sharp left into Shipbreaker Bay. Very strange.

It would seem that the southern coast of Dorne would be more likely to get pounded by Summer Isles depressions, not the stormlands.

45 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Yes, out at sea, in the Stepstones, the Narrow Sea, the Summer Sea -- everywhere, it seems, but the stormlands.

And when you look at the map, it seems odd that the stormlands would take the brunt of storms origination in the Summer Isles. They would first have to wend their way through the Stepstones, and at best crash into the southern part of the region at the Rainwood. To get to Storm's End by sea, they would have to travel north a few hundred miles and then make a sharp left into Shipbreaker Bay. Very strange.

It would seem that the southern coast of Dorne would be more likely to get pounded by Summer Isles depressions, not the stormlands.

Just a thought here, but could it be that the bad storms are only in the autumn (granted we still should have heard about them)?

Where I live the most dangerous storms are usually in the spring and fall, due to the warm and cold fronts colliding way more frequently than they do in the other seasons. The Stormlands could have just one or two seasons of nasty storms.

15 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

It seems weird until you realize we don't have a POV in the stormlands. Then you look at everything I mentioned and the POV either interacts with a character who has been to those places or suffered through them personally. The closest we get is knowing that the GC had people land on Estermont and Tarth and their fleet was generally split up by a storm in Lys. 

Whether or not the Gods play a part in the weather pattern, I'd just hold onto ruling out bad storms in the SL until we get a POV, ya know, in the SL, more specifically shipbreaker bay, which is where the storms are particularly bad.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:28 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Just a thought here, but could it be that the bad storms are only in the autumn (granted we still should have heard about them)?

Where I live the most dangerous storms are usually in the spring and fall, due to the warm and cold fronts colliding way more frequently than they do in the other seasons. The Stormlands could have just one or two seasons of nasty storms.

Yes, that's what the World Book says. And since we've just gone from Summer to Winter (the white raven at Dragonstone in the Clash prologue, and then the white raven at KL at the end of Dance), then the time in between must have been Autumn. And since we are transitioning between the longest summer in living memory to what appears to be a particularly grueling winter, then the change in atmospheric energy should have given the Stormlands a particularly harsh beating this time around.

21 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

It seems weird until you realize we don't have a POV in the stormlands. Then you look at everything I mentioned and the POV either interacts with a character who has been to those places or suffered through them personally. The closest we get is knowing that the GC had people land on Estermont and Tarth and their fleet was generally split up by a storm in Lys. 

Whether or not the Gods play a part in the weather pattern, I'd just hold onto ruling out bad storms in the SL until we get a POV, ya know, in the SL, more specifically shipbreaker bay, which is where the storms are particularly bad.

We've had plenty of POVs in King's Landing, though. Any storm that hits the SL from the Narrow Sea would most certainly affect the weather in the capital, but I don't remember any rain or even a cloudy day for the entire period. Brienne saw some rain in Crackclaw Point, as I recall, but this is pretty far to the north. Other than that, we have Sam and Salador getting beaten up way to the north, and then Tyrion/Victarion getting hammered in the Summer Sea -- nowhere close to SL.

And it is telling that GC hit bad weather way to the east, in Lys,  and found safety on the shores of the SL. So yes, there is plenty of bad weather all around the SL this autumn, but apparently very little in the region itself.

And just looking at the map, we can only conclude that the storms in the Stormlands are not naturally occurring events from the Summer Isle because it would be Dorne getting the brunt of that, not the Stormlands.

• 2 weeks later...

I always wonder if Renly would have named Edric his heir since he probably would not have children. Obviously nothing is written and it's a story but in my imagination he named him his heir. This has happened throughout history where things like an uncle adopts his sisters son and names him his heir I like to think this was the case. Especially where Edric seems to be the main piece in Stannis and Penrose parlay.

I still believe that Edric and the young Estermont boy will be used to open the gates at Storms End as Estermonts father will be the one controlling the castle.

1 hour ago, Daemon Blackfyre IV said:

Especially where Edric seems to be the main piece in Stannis and Penrose parlay.

Stannis wants Edric for two reasons. As proof of Ceresi's incest, he can be paraded in front of all the lords of Westeros as proof that Robert's children look like him. Two, he can sacrifice the boy to Melisandre if he needs to. That's why Stannis is unwilling to give Penrose a guarantee on Edric's safety. He knows he may need to die before Stannis can sit the throne

It's okay. Something tells me we're going to get a lot of Stormlands in the next book. And hopefully see the inside of Storm's End, too. 

Now we just need Highgarden (which I think GRRM said we'd be seeing also) and Casterly Rock and we'll have seen every major castle. 

On 4/1/2017 at 4:07 AM, Brandon Baratheon said:

I am currently reading Feasts for Crows and Dance of Dragons. Storm's End is sieged and some Stormland lords are with Stannis in the Wall. But there is nothing more about Stormlands. What happens there? What do they think after Joffrey's death and Stannis' Nothern campaign? What is their position about siege of Storm's End?

I admit there is nothing about Reach and Westerlands either. But they live in peace. Because Tywin and Mace won the war.

Read the winds chapters. 

Spoiler

The invasion has landed. (f)Aegon has taken and holds Storms end. Pirates are operating off Cape Wrath and there are weirwoods growing in the Rainwood 

11 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

A released Arianne chapter in winds has her POV in the stormlands 

Well, yes, at the tail end of A-II they show up at Griffin's Roost "on a grey wet day as the rain fell thin and cold" but this hardly counts as a storm worthy of the stormlands, IMO. And we're already past autumn and into winter at this point -- or near enough as makes no matter.

8 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Well, yes, at the tail end of A-II they show up at Griffin's Roost "on a grey wet day as the rain fell thin and cold" but this hardly counts as a storm worthy of the stormlands, IMO. And we're already past autumn and into winter at this point -- or near enough as makes no matter.

That is just the beginning. The real storm is going to sweep down from the north 

Archived