Meanwhile in Stormlands

13 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

That is just the beginning. The real storm is going to sweep down from the north 

OK, maybe. But the stormlands are called the stormlands because the storms come in from the sea, particularly in autumn. If the stormland storms typically come from the north, then there would be no reason to call it the stormlands because the rest of the realm would be hammered long before it got to the stormlands. Si?

1 minute ago, John Suburbs said:

OK, maybe. But the stormlands are called the stormlands because the storms come in from the sea, particularly in autumn. If the stormland storms typically come from the north, then there would be no reason to call it the stormlands because the rest of the realm would be hammered long before it got to the stormlands. Si?

He's not talking about the weather (or at least it's a metaphor combining two things).

7 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

He's not talking about the weather (or at least it's a metaphor combining two things).

6 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Bingo!

I'm not sure I follow. You guys can't possibly think that the stormlands are called the stormlands because the Others invade it from the north? What am I missing?

2 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

I'm not sure I follow. You guys can't possibly think that the stormlands are called the stormlands because the Others invade it from the north? What am I missing?

It is called the stormlands because of the weather, but the "real" storm is brewing beyond the wall 

14 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

It is called the stormlands because of the weather, but the "real" storm is brewing beyond the wall 

6 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

I have no idea how you got that out of the exchange, but no we do not.

OK, this is why I'm confused. :dunce:  I'm talking about the fact that the stormlands are called the stormlands because of all the storms that flow up out of the Summer Isles every autumn and slam into the region, but apparently that didn't happen this autumn even though we are transitioning from an unusually long summer to an unusually harsh winter.

So I don't see the relevance of a "storm" coming down from the north. Are the Others somehow preventing normal weather patterns because they are saving all their energy for their big storm?

14 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

OK, this is why I'm confused. :dunce:  I'm talking about the fact that the stormlands are called the stormlands because of all the storms that flow up out of the Summer Isles every autumn and slam into the region, but apparently that didn't happen this autumn even though we are transitioning from an unusually long summer to an unusually harsh winter.

So I don't see the relevance of a "storm" coming down from the north. Are the Others somehow preventing normal weather patterns because they are saving all their energy for their big storm?

He's saying your storms are irrelevant to the "storms" coming from the north. And yes the Others do drive/accompany abnormal weather patterns where they go, per conversations with Tormund and other people who've encountered them north of the wall like Ser Waymar.

23 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

He's saying your storms are irrelevant to the "storms" coming from the north. And yes the Others do drive/accompany abnormal weather patterns where they go, per conversations with Tormund and other people who've encountered them north of the wall like Ser Waymar.

I guess we're on two different tracks here. The normal storms that hammer the stormlands from the south are the reason why the stormlands are called the stormlands. The "storm" from the north may be larger in scope, but it can't possibly be the reason for the name because it only comes once every few thousand millennia (if that) and would do far worse damage to the north, the riverlands, the vale and everything else that is north of the stormlands. So it's the northern storm that is irrelevant to the name of the stormlands.

I think Sam says one of the old books says the Others might appear during snowstorms, but that is the only link I've seen between Others and storms. There is more correlation between the Others and cold, but no one is even sure if one brings the other.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:49 PM, John Suburbs said:

I guess we're on two different tracks here. The normal storms that hammer the stormlands from the south are the reason why the stormlands are called the stormlands. The "storm" from the north may be larger in scope, but it can't possibly be the reason for the name because it only comes once every few thousand millennia (if that) and would do far worse damage to the north, the riverlands, the vale and everything else that is north of the stormlands. So it's the northern storm that is irrelevant to the name of the stormlands.

I think Sam says one of the old books says the Others might appear during snowstorms, but that is the only link I've seen between Others and storms. There is more correlation between the Others and cold, but no one is even sure if one brings the other.

Abnormal cold = abnormal weather pattern unless temperature is something that no longer counts for weather

3 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Abnormal cold = abnormal weather pattern unless temperature is something that no longer counts for weather

Abnormal cold is hardly a storm. Storms have wind, rain, tidal surge, destruction; Danaerys Stormborn was born in a storm that lashed Dragonstone (in the stormlands) harder than any storm in living memory. This is what the stormlands are known for and what they are mysteriously not getting this autumn.

Honestly, I am still completely baffled at what you are trying to say. Are you arguing that the stormlands have been called the stormlands for millennia because once, 8000 years ago, a big cold swept down from the north and crippled the entire continent, and now it appears to be happening again? Doesn't the World Book directly contradict this?

So instead of just another one-sentence quip, could you do me a favor and explain in some detail what the coming of the Others and the cold from the north has anything at all to do with the naming of the stormlands?

2 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Abnormal cold is hardly a storm. Storms have wind, rain, tidal surge, destruction; Danaerys Stormborn was born in a storm that lashed Dragonstone (in the stormlands) harder than any storm in living memory. This is what the stormlands are known for and what they are mysteriously not getting this autumn.

Honestly, I am still completely baffled at what you are trying to say. Are you arguing that the stormlands have been called the stormlands for millennia because once, 8000 years ago, a big cold swept down from the north and crippled the entire continent, and now it appears to be happening again? Doesn't the World Book directly contradict this?

So instead of just another one-sentence quip, could you do me a favor and explain in some detail what the coming of the Others and the cold from the north has anything at all to do with the naming of the stormlands?

No one is arguing anything about the stormlands or there naming. I wasn't even making an argument. I was clarifying something for you that you didn't understand, yet you keep trying to hammer away at a totally irrelevant point to his responses and (imo) the storyline. Not a mountain out of a molehill but you're missing the forest, tree farm, trees, leaves, branches, roots, and a few other tree related nouns for the sickly sapling that is dying because of lack of sunlight.

18 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

No one is arguing anything about the stormlands or there naming. I wasn't even making an argument. I was clarifying something for you that you didn't understand, yet you keep trying to hammer away at a totally irrelevant point to his responses and (imo) the storyline. Not a mountain out of a molehill but you're missing the forest, tree farm, trees, leaves, branches, roots, and a few other tree related nouns for the sickly sapling that is dying because of lack of sunlight.

Well, sorry for the confusion, but I kicked off this part of the discussion with the point about no storms in the stormlands this autumn, and then the comment was made about the big storm coming from the north, which I understand perfectly. But obviously, I was curious as to what that had to do with the stormlands not getting any storms. But I guess the answer is: absolutely nothing. Thanks for clearing that up.

On 4/18/2017 at 0:05 PM, John Suburbs said:

The others are the storm coming down from the north that will dwarf any storm ever seen in shipbreaker bay. Sorry for the confusion  

• 2 weeks later...
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 0:52 AM, 1000th Lord Commander said:

Stannis wants Edric for two reasons. As proof of Ceresi's incest, he can be paraded in front of all the lords of Westeros as proof that Robert's children look like him. Two, he can sacrifice the boy to Melisandre if he needs to. That's why Stannis is unwilling to give Penrose a guarantee on Edric's safety. He knows he may need to die before Stannis can sit the throne

Penrose wants the boy for a reason also which is because he is Renleys heir. This is my own idea though obviously 

On 5/7/2017 at 9:45 AM, Daemon Blackfyre IV said:

Penrose wants the boy for a reason also which is because he is Renleys heir. This is my own idea though obviously 

Edric was never declared to be anyone's heir that we know of. He's a logical one to have declared as Robert's heir, but Mace would have taken it as a slight if Renly had suggested naming another heir. Mace wants Renly to knock up Margery and produce thier own heir, not gift anything to one of Robert's bastards. It wouldn't be unknown for Penrose to develop some affection for the boy, which is all we need to explain his motives

Let's not forget Stannis offers to name Renly his heir so Renly naming Edric a boy he's raised is not out of the question and we never have point of views from Storms End so it is possible that he did but kept it secret to protect the boy. Edric is Renlys Ward I would say he could adopt him throughout history this has happened.

Archived