Rick and Morty Season 3

DaveSumm

7 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Dropping the episode the way they did was a stroke of brilliance. So fucking meta.

Hide contents

I wonder if Jerry and Beth are really going to get divorced?

Also hoping we see Evil Morty again this season.

Spoiler

Yea that'd be interesting.......he's a funny character, so I kinda hope they do get divorced (Rick being head of the family = funny) but they also follow Jerry on some kind of sub plot (= funny). Loved the nine season arc of finding the Mulan sauce. :D

I'll leave this a non-spoiler thread for a page or so as people might not have heard / assumed it was an April Fools.

that was an awesome stealth premier. Hearty laughs throughout the episode. If this is a sign of the season to come then we're in for  treat.

Rick is such a great character. I love how unattached he is to most things eg his real body - he gives zero fucks as long as his mind is intact. It's also becoming more clear why he hates the Rick league as they completely go against his anarchist values.

"Employee of the week"

"Phoenix Man"

It was nice to see the original world again - that Jerry has his shit together. Maybe Jerry being forced to fend for himself rather than live in the prison of his safe-yet-unhappy life will be useful for him.

Rick is almost insane enough to be doing everything for that Mulan-sauce.

I knew Rick was trolling the interogator with his back story but the element that had me worried was the insinuation he wasn't the original/invented the transdimensional gun independently. But it was clear that was all bullshit so it's all good. Although I am curious as to what his wife was like and what happened to her. Maybe we'll get to see another her at some point this season now she's been more strongly hinted at?

The big question is whether we get another episode next week?

This was awesome, i stopped on Adult Swim thinking I would watch a Bob's Burgers episode.

No new episode next week, or for many weeks after, unless they are dragging the April Fools gag out. There was a teaser during the episode with Pickle Rick which said season 3 was coming this summer.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I wondered where the discussion was for this, it has been excellent. I loved the Vindicators episode, Tales for the Citadel......no duff ones yet. Shame there's only 10 episodes a season.

That might have been my favorite this season before the one with The Tales of the Citadel.

The punchline to man on the moon was excellent. The other clips were good but none of them beat that opener for me.

Great tease having mr poopy butthole briefly appear.

Rick editing Morty's memories was pretty dark and provided yet more evidence for why "evil" morty is justified. Like Morty said "how is he supposed to learn if he can't remember his mistakes"

The Ricklantis episode was excellent. It wasn't really funny but a great insight into individuality and how the system can break people down and is always skewed to benefit some at the expense of others (even when the people are all the same). It felt more like Charlie Brooker handed a "Black Mirror" plot over for them to watch in that it was dark satire rather than outright comedy. Great stuff and I'm glad they aren't afraid to do these types of episode/scenes every now and then.

Gotta admit, I haven't really enjoyed this season all that much, though I think that's more to do with me than the show per se. I don't think the show has actually declined in quality, my tastes have just changed and I'm starting to find the nihilism a bit much.

Odin's beard, this last episode (S3E9) was some dark shit. Froopyland is possibly the most f'd up world the show has ever introduced. And the whole subplot with Jerry was a bleak bit, too. Don't get me wrong, my twisted sense of humor still found it to be a pretty funny episode. But still, King Tommy is the most disturbing character since the pedo Jelly Bean King. Yeesh.

Have loved the season consistently until last night, I was pretty disappointed. It just wasn't that funny to me, and the dark overtones were even more over the top than usual, in a way that I think was a bit ridiculous. 

Oh well, it's still my favorite season thus far. 

Just now, Leap said:

That was definitely the weakest episode as far as I'm concerned. I've heard criticism of Episode 2, which I thought was really good. This one was pretty interesting and had a lot of good moments, but I suppose I was expecting Beth's character to go down a different route.

I kind of got the impression that she was cloned, and we're seeing the Beth clone now, which will be revealed later. 

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I kind of got the impression that she was cloned, and we're seeing the Beth clone now, which will be revealed later. 

I agree.

But it also raises lots of interesting questions for the series as a whole. How do we know that even this Beth was not herself a clone in the first place? How do we know that "Beth" is not a character who always abandons her family after some time, just as Ricks do?
Generally speaking, this episode gave us more insight as to what makes "our" Rick so special: he has "unreasonable" ties to his family. And we are reminded that Rick has the power of a god, and yet chooses to live with his family (which, as we know, is not "his" family). We already had these bits from previous episodes, but this one seemed intent on hammering that point home.
With the Beth character now likely to be a clone, the Morties being expendable/replacable, the Jerries being weaklings... One can start to wonder who exactly is left as a "genuine" character around Rick. Logically speaking, we should soon discover that Summer is not who she appears to be either (and that is supported by the season 3 opening).
There's also something that's been bugging me with the temporality. "Our" Rick seems to know how other characters will evolve. He knew Beth was longing for liberty, and he knows that Morty turns evil eventually (all Morties probably do if given enough knowledge or power). He also most likely expected Beth and Jerry to get a divorce (though that one wasn't hard to figure out). But all Morties and all Ricks are supposed to be the same age... Could it be "our" Rick has the ability to not only travel through dimensions, but also through time as well?

Anyway I actually liked this latest episode. It wasn't really funny, but it had depth. Just as the Citadel one had an obvious socio-economic analysis, this one was really a commentary on religion and god. Not that there was any lesson given there, It's Rick and Morty after all. ^_^

14 hours ago, Leap said:

I meant more in terms of the run-up to that, specifically the ''Worse, you're smart.'' monologue. While Beth is clearly intelligent, I would never have said she was similar to Rick in that regard, and I really just didn't see how her being a terrifying little sociopath fit into that either. At the end she's given the choice, either go out and do Rick stuff or choose the family life. I sort of expected her to have to deal with the fact that she's not Rick and that looking up to him/emulating him is not healthy, as is mentioned during the Pickle Rick episode. Of course, that may well be further down the line.

Perhaps Jerry acted as some sort of repressant for her natural intelligence. Who knows, she might return smarter than ever when she gets back from her travels :) 

Archived