MLB 2017 - if you build it, they will cub

29 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Though I suppose not as embarrassing as finishing 25 games behind two teams that spent $40 to $80 million less than you. And at the end of the day it's not my money, so what do I care? But if the Dodger payroll makes you feel better about your shitty team with its minimal trade assets and awful farm system, I guess I can't begrudge you that. 

That's very kind. I take back that part about hoping you catch gonorrhea.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:45 AM, James Arryn said:

So, Smoak is still our best hitter, but it doesn't mean what I meant it to mean when I meant it before. The world has gone nuts.

I think Justin Smoak is one of my most disliked players. The sheer amount of disappointment that this motherfucker visited upon the Mariners and their fanbase is obscene. He was supposed to be the next Teixeira, instead he was just a loser with a loopy swing and warning track power. The fact that he is doing well at the moment irritates me. Couldn't he be like Dustin Ackley and just disappear into obscurity?

Also fuck Kendrys Morales, his second season with the Mariners may have been the most half-assed I've ever seen a player play.

11 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I think Justin Smoak is one of my most disliked players. The sheer amount of disappointment that this motherfucker visited upon the Mariners and their fanbase is obscene. He was supposed to be the next Teixeira, instead he was just a loser with a loopy swing and warning track power. The fact that he is doing well at the moment irritates me. Couldn't he be like Dustin Ackley and just disappear into obscurity?

Also fuck Kendrys Morales, his second season with the Mariners may have been the most half-assed I've ever seen a player play.

Until this bizarro season, he was just as irritating but in a different way. He could get around on almost anyone's heater, but any kind of off-speed pitch had him corkscrewing mightily in the batter's box to no avail. We honestly put any hopes he'd do anything down to his being so bad no one would bother to read the one-line advanced scouting report and show him a fastball or two before discovering his Achilles corpse. It did still happen more often than you'd think early in a series, but never for long and then we're back to auto-k.

I have no idea what happened to him...corrective eye surgery is my best guess.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the Twins are attempting to have the worst draft in the history of sports. 

It was a bit weird to see them pass on Hunter Greene, Brendan McKay, and even Kyle Wright. The Angels are doing even weirder things by going with a high schooler with their first pick, considering how bad the upper levels of their farm are right now.

14 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

It was a bit weird to see them pass on Hunter Greene, Brendan McKay, and even Kyle Wright. The Angels are doing even weirder things by going with a high schooler with their first pick, considering how bad the upper levels of their farm are right now.

I don't follow MLB that closely anymore, but I kept reading stories saying that Green is one of the best prospects ever. To pass on him for a guy that's not ranked in the top 3 by any website is beyond insane, especially since the given reason is that they didn't want to pay him. And then with the 37th pick they took a guy who is not ranked in the top 100. WTF?!?!?!?!?

Reports are that the Twins went with Lewis over the other top talents because he was the best available talent who was willing to sign an under-slot deal, thereby freeing up some money for the Twins to go after harder to sign talents in later rounds. I've never really liked that approach to the draft, and think it's absolutely crazy to operate that way with the 1st overall pick. 

Twins lose 3-14...then win 20-7 while facing Mariners.

I love-hate baseball :D

Gibson with an atrocious performance to follow up three decent starts in a row, which all followed my complaining that he's useless.  I am going to continue calling him useless and I am NOT doing it to trick him into being quality again.

Archived