MLB 2017 - if you build it, they will cub

8 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

When the season is done he won't be too far behind Judge. 

Got his OPS up to .905 after last night - albeit Judge's is still 1.146.  Sanchez has played 37 games, if you multiply his counting stats by 4 (i.e. 148 games) he's on pace for 44 HRs, 124 RBIs, and 112 Runs.  Judge/Sanchez is an incredibly exciting 1-2 punch.  Wish Bird would start hitting in Scranton (3/21 in 6 games there).

Last night's game was incredibly frustrating to stay up for.  Always sucks when base coaches cost you two outs - and Didi ran into Headley's single.  That was freaky.

56 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Got his OPS up to .905 after last night - albeit Judge's is still 1.146.  Sanchez has played 37 games, if you multiply his counting stats by 4 (i.e. 148 games) he's on pace for 44 HRs, 124 RBIs, and 112 Runs.  Judge/Sanchez is an incredibly exciting 1-2 punch.  Wish Bird would start hitting in Scranton (3/21 in 6 games there).

Last night's game was incredibly frustrating to stay up for.  Always sucks when base coaches cost you two outs - and Didi ran into Headley's single.  That was freaky.

It's frightening to think about how much better they'll be if Bird swings the bat the way he did in spring training. I tapped out after Hicks robbed the homer in the first.

19 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It's frightening to think about how much better they'll be if Bird swings the bat the way he did in spring training. I tapped out after Hicks robbed the homer in the first.

Smart move.  Hoping Bird and Torres can help them this year.  It's very fun checking the Scranton box scores right now, knowing those two as well as Frazier, Adams, Fowler, Wade, and Austin are so close to the show.

Just now, dmc515 said:

Smart move.  Hoping Bird and Torres can help them this year.  It's very fun checking the Scranton box scores right now, knowing those two as well as Frazier, Adams, Fowler, Wade, and Austin are so close to the show.

With CC going down Chance Adam might get a start or two. Didn't Austin get hurt too?

39 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

With CC going down Chance Adam might get a start or two. Didn't Austin get hurt too?

Austin started his rehab assignment almost a month ago.  He was outright optioned to Scranton on June 5.  In 17 games there he's hitting .303 with a .846 OPS (but also about a 33% strikeout rate).

It looks like right now they're going to go with a Green/German tandem to replace CC.  However, with a Grade 2 strain he may be out quite awhile.  I'm sure they have Adams in mind once they think he's ready.  Only has 6 starts at Triple A and still needs to cut down on the walks.  I think they're being more careful with him as a "top" prospect whereas they're not as concerned screwing around with German (and Herrera, for that matter).  

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

Austin started his rehab assignment almost a month ago.  He was outright optioned to Scranton on June 5.  In 17 games there he's hitting .303 with a .846 OPS (but also about a 33% strikeout rate).

It looks like right now they're going to go with a Green/German tandem to replace CC.  However, with a Grade 2 strain he may be out quite awhile.  I'm sure they have Adams in mind once they think he's ready.  Only has 6 starts at Triple A and still needs to cut down on the walks.  I think they're being more careful with him as a "top" prospect whereas they're not as concerned screwing around with German (and Herrera, for that matter).  

I thought they sent German back down after the game. They should totally give him a shot.

Just now, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I thought they sent German back down after the game. They should totally give him a shot.

They did, but they can call him back up once they put CC on the DL - doesn't have to abide by the normal 10 day rule.

While these guys clutter up the board with Yankees talk, the other NY team has had a very bad day. Harvey and Walker both out for 4 or more weeks, and Thor's timeline has been pushed back to mid-August at the earliest. Is it wrong of me to take such pleasure in the Mets' woes?

30 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

While these guys clutter up the board with Yankees talk, the other NY team has had a very bad day. Harvey and Walker both out for 4 or more weeks, and Thor's timeline has been pushed back to mid-August at the earliest. Is it wrong of me to take such pleasure in the Mets' woes?

Nope. They've been asking for it since 1986.

Anybody else getting really fucking tired of MLB Network's constant pumping of Satcast powered by Amazon Web Services? It's pretty hard to take any of these metrics seriously when they were so clearly invented for marketing purposes.

1 minute ago, Myshkin said:

Anybody else getting really fucking tired of MLB Network's constant pumping of Satcast powered by Amazon Web Services? It's pretty hard to take any of these metrics seriously when they were so clearly invented for marketing purposes.

I hate their Statcast crap.  I like the MLB website for scores and standings and yes, stats.  But every single one of their write-ups has to have three to five mentions of Statcast.  The amount to which I care about the speed at which a ball left contact with a bat is smaller than a Red Sox fan's ability to shut it.  Just stop.

Do you think the MLB Network announcers are contractually obligated to say "Statcast brought to you by AWS" a certain amount of times every game? Or is it more like that guy from Idiocracy who ends every sentence with "brought to you by Carl's Jr." because they pay him every time he says it?

39 minutes ago, Lightning Lord said:

I hate their Statcast crap.  I like the MLB website for scores and standings and yes, stats.  But every single one of their write-ups has to have three to five mentions of Statcast.  The amount to which I care about the speed at which a ball left contact with a bat is smaller than a Red Sox fan's ability to shut it.  Just stop.

Yankees now have an exit velocity section on their scoreboard. I don't know when it started but I'm sure it has to do with Judge being one of the leaders of it, as Michael Kay mentions about 20 times per game. 

I do love MLB network but this shit is getting a little crazy.  Listing a guy's top speed and percentage of him catching the ball from the angle he's taking, and all that, is just weird. Just show us the catch.

Worse than anything is the "catch probability" metric which is then translated into a fucking star rating. "That ball had a 25% catch probability, making the play an official 5 star catch!" Fuck you. 

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Worse than anything is the "catch probability" metric which is then translated into a fucking star rating. "That ball had a 25% catch probability, making the play an official 5 star catch!" Fuck you. 

When I first saw that this season, I thought I had stumbled upon a blog or a parody site.  That MLB thinks it is a real thing is concerning.  I hope we don't start seeing it listed as a sortable stat, or on the backs of baseball cards.

Do baseball cards still exist?

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yup, but I rarely see them in any retail setting, other than a sports memorabilia shop.

http://www.beckett.com/news/2017-baseball-cards-release-dates/

I collected the heck out of baseball cards growing up.  It was an exciting way to follow the game and waste some pocket money.  Then packs started costs two arms and three legs...

I might have stuck with it, but the limbless. neighbor children were starting to stand out a bit and raise questions.

Twins split with Mariners, with bizarre results.  I'll take this season as a blessing thus far - never imagined MN would be above .500 at this point in the season.

Archived