MLB 2017 - if you build it, they will cub

I haven't paid super close attention to baseball the past few years, and I checked the Red Sox box score for today's game and its amazing how little I recognize any of the players. Pedroia is basically the only name that looks 'right' to me. 

I know Hanley Rameriz and Pablo Sandoval too of course, but I don't think of them as Red Sox players. Bogaerts, Bradley, and Betts are just the names of prospects that I ignore in potential trade discussions. And the other names mean nothing to me; except Porcello, but that's only because of the Cy Young.

Its amazing how much having David Ortiz still on the team covered up how little I knew about the roster anymore. 

Just now, Fez said:

I haven't paid super close attention to baseball the past few years, and I checked the Red Sox box score for today's game and its amazing how little I recognize any of the players. Pedroia is basically the only name that looks 'right' to me. 

I know Hanley Rameriz and Pablo Sandoval too of course, but I don't think of them as Red Sox players. Bogaerts, Bradley, and Betts are just the names of prospects that I ignore in potential trade discussions. And the other names mean nothing to me; except Porcello, but that's only because of the Cy Young.

Its amazing how much having David Ortiz still on the team covered up how little I knew about the roster anymore. 

Oh, FYI: you guys have a halfway decent collection of young talent.

14 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Happy Clayton Day! 

I planned the Mercenary vacation to SFO around Los Doyers playing Los Gigantes at the end of July. Except uh, MC discovered yesterday that had I read the schedule wrong and that series is in LA. Oh well. I think we'll catch a game against Oakland before we head home. 

We're catching Giants/Doyers on the 24th of this month. Gonna get me a Rocket Raccoon Bobblehead over there!

http://www.stadiumgiveawayexchange.com/april-24-2016-san-francisco-giants-rocket-raccoon-bobblehead/

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

We're catching Giants/Doyers on the 24th of this month. Gonna get me a Rocket Raccoon Bobblehead over there!

http://www.stadiumgiveawayexchange.com/april-24-2016-san-francisco-giants-rocket-raccoon-bobblehead/

This is what happens when nobody wants bobbleheads of your actual players.

16 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Bautista is on pace to finish with 324 outfield assists, which is like 280 above the record. 

Yasmani Grandal is on pace to finish with 324 HRs, which is at least 5 or 6 more than the current record.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Is there some sort of Demonic Rat Deity I should know about? Cause this is some bullshit.

/Let me know when the Giants have had the same amount of games vs the Padres, and we'll talk.

Sure, blame the schedule. Listen guy, right now your team is sitting on the worst record in baseball. This is a fact. Deal with it.

8 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Sure, blame the schedule. Listen guy, right now your team is sitting on the worst record in baseball. This is a fact. Deal with it.

Ok Mr. Fan of a team that spent 40 million dollars more than any other team in the league and just beat up on a team that spent $170 million less than your team did. Revel in it. Eat another pressed Rat Anus Dog and buy your vintage Lasorda jersey/tent on eBay there. 

17 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ok Mr. Fan of a team that spent 40 million dollars more than any other team in the league and just beat up on a team that spent $170 million less than your team did. Revel in it. Eat another pressed Rat Anus Dog and buy your vintage Lasorda jersey/tent on eBay there. 

The 'there' at the end was a nice touch.

16 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

The 'there' at the end was a nice touch.

Haha, it was. 

On an unrelated note, Odor is one of the funnest players in the league to watch (even when he's not punching out bullies). 2 homers so far. Balls are flying out of Texas.

A's name the field at the Coliseum Rickey Henderson Field, because Rickey is the greatest baseball player of all fucking time. And if you don't agree with that you can get the fuck out of this thread.

14 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

A's name the field at the Coliseum Rickey Henderson Field, because Rickey is the greatest baseball player of all fucking time. And if you don't agree with that you can get the fuck out of this thread.

Born in the backseat of an Oldsmobile in Chicago Illinois on Christmas Day 1958. Sounds like the start of a movie or something.

MLB Network just told me that Byron Buxton made a catch today that had a "catch probability" of 24%, which mathematically equates to a "5 star" catch. In response I told MLB Network to go fuck itself. 

40 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

MLB Network just told me that Byron Buxton made a catch today that had a "catch probability" of 24%, which mathematically equates to a "5 star" catch. In response I told MLB Network to go fuck itself. 

Lulz. Thumbs up! Let's just hope the MLB Network is not capable of Parthenogenesis.

That was a fun game for the Indians. Klubot's programming was a little off at the beginning, but he settled down and set down 10 straight at one point. Andrew Miller continues to be nasty af. Welcome to the Indians, Edwin. Welcome to the bigs, Yandy. This is going to be a fun year. B)

18 hours ago, Fez said:

There was some amazing factoid I saw the other day, that Pedroia is the only guy left that was on the roster on the day of the Marathon bombing. That's a little misleading, since Jackie Bradley Jr. had been called up and sent back down before that, and Bogaerts came up later in the year, but still.

Archived