Better Call Saul -- Season 3 Fring-ing The Gang Back Together Again

SpaceChampion

Bob's take on Saul:

http://uproxx.com/tv/difference-between-jimmy-and-saul-goodman/

But, this would then generally pinpoint his performance at the insurance company as a more serious turning point to Saul than what it has seemed to be.....I still don't see Chuck getting out of the show alive/free, but his willingness to confront his illness as a mental condition was a bit of a surprise...so it could change his trajectory I guess.  Anyone?

I'm still wondering about that $14K check, the writers must know that 'law school loans' would be 10 or 20 x this amount, unless this was Kim writing him a first installment.....and assuming she was making a decent salary, she could have already paid him back....if this was a mistake or there is something else?

22 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Michael Mando was brilliant. Hope he has a great career after this. Hope Nacho makes it out of this show alive.

"best 700$ I spent in my life" Jimmys ready to ditch elder law now for mug mealers for sure :D 

I love how all these supposedly honest people keep trying to screw him over, but then the drug dealer just happily pays him exactly what he agreed to.  Nice touch.

I also love how I knew Nacho was going to make it out of that scene alive (because we know for a fact that Saul knows him in BB), and yet they still managed to make it incredibly tense to watch.  Great direction and acting.  

15 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm still wondering about that $14K check, the writers must know that 'law school loans' would be 10 or 20 x this amount, unless this was Kim writing him a first installment.....and assuming she was making a decent salary, she could have already paid him back....if this was a mistake or there is something else?

When you work for a company some of them will pay for your education, providing you stay working with them for a certain amount of time. Others will pay for it in advance and you then pay them back through payroll deductions. She may have been paying them back for a few years and that 14k amount was all that was left of it.

When we saw Hector have his attack a couple of weeks ago, it was brought on by a fit of rage he experienced upon finding out that Tuco had messed up in prison, and was unlikely to get an early release. In this week's promo there's a scene where Hector and Gus are having a meeting, then Hector suddenly leaps to his feet and slams his fists on the table. This leads me to wonder whether this second fit of rage will bring on another attack that can't be remedied due to Nacho having replaced his pills with duds. If this is the case, then Gus will actually get to see Hector have the attack that leaves him in the disabled condition we see him in in BB. How very satisfying this would be for Gus :)

Hmmm.  I actually thought Kim was going to die in a car crash.  Beautiful visual of the car and the papers.

There is no way that JImmy is getting $1M and still turn into Saul with the tacky office....so I am interested to see what goes wrong where.

I kind of wish they didn't bring Lydia into the show, but that's me, her character never did much for me in BB and she was another one I was always like 'MIke, yes, just fucking kill her now'.

I'm finding it odd how in the BCS world all old people except for Mike are extremely stupid and suggestible. Maybe I'm biased in knowing more about Jimmy than they do, but everything he says and does just reeks of phoniness and leading them to conclusions. And the fact that it took one pair of shoes to convince them is mind-boggling. A good chunk of them probably own something more expensive than those shoes. Jimmy, who's struggling immensely with funds, can apparently afford to buy a dozen of them for a scheme that shouldn't even have worked. And the peanut analogy. WTF was that? I mean, he adds one more peanut to each pile of two peanuts and they say "that doesn't seem like much more" when it's 50% more! Not that it even matters, because he's not saying anything concrete, he's just putting a bunch of fucking peanuts on the table and they're wholly convinced.

But yes, if it wasn't clear to anyone by now (for some crazy reason) Jimmy is an unethical PoS. And no, it's not Chuck's fault that it's within Jimmy's character to manipulate these old people like this for his own benefit.

This is a subtle detail, but when Hamlin talks to Jimmy and comments on how transparent he is, he says "it's like talking to Gollum". This does take place around 2003, which is around the time when the LotR movies came out so his reference was actually relevant to that time. 

I really loved the direction effect of the car crash. I know it was simple, but it was amazingly effective. It all seemed like a perfectly normal drive right up until the moment of the crash. That's generally how it is when you drift off; you don't know you're drifting off. The eerie silence and calmness was just so perfect too, especially because of how weird it was that she just randomly stopped trying to rehearse the meeting.

Watching this show is so stressful for me because you want Jimmy to be the good version of himself that's in there, you want him to build his life with Kim and the law. But you know by Breaking Bad it's over with Kim and with the old people (who he is actually helping, I mean if that settlement draws out over years and they are old enough for a nursing home- at least some of them would never see a dime personally). And since we never hear anything about Nacho in Breaking Bad, but Tuco and Salamanca and Gus and Mike are all there, it probably goes badly for him. That's a huge shame because Nacho is a good character with a great (and fucking dreamy) actor playing him, who does a lot to fill up those silences and looks. At least we know that Mike gets through this show (not that what happens later isn't terrible). There's also Chuck who must be out of the picture by Breaking Bad but really- fuck that guy.

9 hours ago, Bridgeburners said:

I'm finding it odd how in the BCS world all old people except for Mike are extremely stupid and suggestible. Maybe I'm biased in knowing more about Jimmy than they do, but everything he says and does just reeks of phoniness and leading them to conclusions. And the fact that it took one pair of shoes to convince them is mind-boggling. A good chunk of them probably own something more expensive than those shoes. Jimmy, who's struggling immensely with funds, can apparently afford to buy a dozen of them for a scheme that shouldn't even have worked. And the peanut analogy. WTF was that? I mean, he adds one more peanut to each pile of two peanuts and they say "that doesn't seem like much more" when it's 50% more! Not that it even matters, because he's not saying anything concrete, he's just putting a bunch of fucking peanuts on the table and they're wholly convinced.

You have to remember, these people were getting screwed over before, and Jimmy is likeable and they trust him so yeah, he is manipulating them rather easily and its not even that farfetched for me to believe it. He does have a point too(about getting the money now because if they wait too long they may not be able to enjoy it) but we know he has that stance because he needs the money now. He really sunk to new lows this time, I felt terrible for that old lady.

I think Nacho will bite the dust after doing something reckless because of something that will happen with to father or something along those lines.

While watching Jimmy do the whole bingo scam I was waiting for him to stop and change his mind. So he sees her there all alone at the table, so sad, and then decides to go ahead with the scam. To me thats when I knew Jimmy was dead and Saul is in charge.

So, does the money laundering thing between Gus and Mike serve as the catalyst for them to work together? Does it earn Mikes trust?

Kims car crash seemed inevitable, she had been working herself to death, taking 5 minute naps before meetings. So likely this crash costs her the oil man account since he only had a couple weeks and they needed to meet with all the plaintiffs together to try to settle it. Does the Mesa Verde guy lose faith in her when his good friend the oil guy gets reemed?

On 5/24/2017 at 10:25 AM, dbunting said:

BB is leaps and bounds better than BCS.

Whaat. I do not agree. I'm not saying Better Call Saul is better than Breaking bad (it might be) but to say that Breaking Bad is "leaps and bounds" better than Better Call Saul is crazy. 

On 6/8/2017 at 10:49 AM, Cas Stark said:

You kind of have to wonder though with Mike's back story...how he came to ever allow Walt to make a deal that gave Hector any satisfaction at all.  

Remind me, what deal are you referring to? I'm trying to be vague for the sake of the person who hasn't seen Breaking Bad, but I can only think of one time Walter gave Hector any satisfaction and Mike was incapacitated at the time. 

Also oddly I don't think there was anything previously in the Breaking Bad universe that upset me as much as that poor old lady getting shunned. Not even tarantula kid. 

Better Call Saul is a very good show, beautifully written and filmed.  But, it's also really, really slow moving, and something of a vanity project for the showrunners in hitting on the bounds of just how slow a TV show can be and still have an audience. LOL.  I don't think it can really be compared as 'as good' as Breaking Bad overall.  

I think I was misremembering what happened with Gus and Hector.....

32 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

...and something of a vanity project for the showrunners

Ouch. I don't agree at all. This season has had some pacing issues. Those matter a lot more now then they will down the line when it's finished and being binge watched. I was really skeptical at first but this show has risen above it's premise. I should probably also mention that while I loved Breaking Bad I'm not one of those people who put it up there with The Sopranos/The Wire/Deadwood/The Leftovers. It's a second tier show, in my opinion. (Which sounds a lot harsher than it actually is.)

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thewrap.com/better-call-saul-nacho-varga-breaking-bad-michael-mando/amp/

I remember the scene, but I did not remember Saul's saying it was Ignacio.  

Monday's episode was the first one where I truly felt (I know other people already have) Jimmy's cruelty.  Poor Irene. 

2 hours ago, Ravenhair said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thewrap.com/better-call-saul-nacho-varga-breaking-bad-michael-mando/amp/

I remember the scene, but I did not remember Saul's saying it was Ignacio.  

Monday's episode was the first one where I truly felt (I know other people already have) Jimmy's cruelty.  Poor Irene. 

I AM SO RELIEVED. I didn't remember that at all and I have been worried about Nacho the entire run of the show so far. Hopefully this means we don't lose him

Archived