Better Call Saul -- Season 3 Fring-ing The Gang Back Together Again

SpaceChampion

I still want to know what happened to his sandpiper money....unless during the BB time frame it would still NOT have been settled yet thanks to his do over with the old ladies.,,which could be interesting if it were to be settled in the present where he's Gene....

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Gus was still worried about the other guy being found there though. 

Well, two mob bosses being found together with one on death's door is a hell of a lot more suspicious than an old man with a medical condition having a stroke while doing his evening rounds with his bodyguards.  Why even bother allowing those suspicions when you can just tell the other guy to leave?

I'm not so sure Chuck is dead... mostly dead perhaps, but nothing that Miracle Max couldn;t cure... My guess is that he'll die in the hospital next season due to burns...

Kim looks like she's done with Law

Gus seems to be on to Nacho

No Mike in the finale

... and like I've been saying... Jimmy is a scoundrel... but unlike Chuck, he's basically a good person.... he'll rob someone, --like Ken the douchebag---but he won;t bomb civilians... he gave up a lot of money and ruined his elder law career for one old lady's morale... Chuck would never show concern for another human being like that #BurnMotherChuckerBurn

I think Chuck is definitely dead, the actor even said he's dead but they are apparently going to do at least one more Chuck flashback.  

Gus is on to Nacho, but they also said...writers/actors that this could be bad for Nacho...which I thought was odd, he should feel he found a kindred spirit in someone else who wants to fuck up Hector Salamanca, but I still think Gus doing CPR on his enemy was too much and not really that realistic, especially since unless they do a spin off of Gus, we aren't going to see whatever it is he thinks he had been doing all those years to still fuck with Hector while he was alive.

Chuck wasn't a bad person, just a VERY rigid person who, like a lot of people, never got over some things from his childhood..like his criminal brother being his parents favorite, not the 'good brother'.  But, I never hated Chuck, he was an asshole, but not a criminal.  Jimmy is an asshole and a criminal but because he's tries sometimes to undo the damage he does and feels badly about..he's sympathetic.

I cant' see Kim giving up the law, but she is going to do some kind of a u turn next season.

I think Kim is perhaps done with soulless commercial law. The To Kill A Mockingbird scene suggests she wants to find that passion for helping the little guy. 

Chuck spiralling mentally and then killing himself is an awful way to go. I don't think he was all that pivotal to the show, so him dying I don't think is an indication of anything. The show has plenty of material to go on for a few more seasons without Chuck or HHM. The show only going one more season is either a pre-planned thing, or is because it's under-performing in the ratings department. Chuck dying in this finale seems about right regardless of the longer term fate of the show.

I suspect Guy wanted Hector to stick around until Guy decided it was time to get rid of him. And the time was not right to take out Hector. Perhaps Guy does not yet have himself set up to be able to take over Hector's patch, and Guy knows how to deal with Hector, whereas someone new coming in would be an unknown quantity and possibly someone closer to the big boss. Nacho looks to upsetting Guy's carefully laid plans.

But, Nacho has almost certainly got the outcome he wants. No more funnelling drugs through his dad's workshop. Guy is certainly not interested in that. So Nacho can just let things play out now. Or that's what he should do.

The Chuck/Jimmy dynamic I might argue was the show's dramatic lynchpin....almost of all of Jimmy's issues: legal, financial, professional, started and ended with something to do with Chuck.  It was the realization that Chuck was holding him back that caused him to leave HHM, it was even somewhat Chuck needling him about how he was doing things on the class action suit that sped his departure from the other law firm, it was Chuck he struck out at with the forgery, Chuck again in trying to disbar him....everything in his life is a reaction to Chuck or something to gain Kim's love/pride.  Without Chuck to play off of, that only leaves Kim, and maybe they will finally draw together the Mike half of the show, but I do think it will be strange w/no Chuck.

They have said they might be 1/3 the way through or half way through, LOL, but given the show's really low ratings, and not gaining any audience for the most part, I can't see it would go 2 more years.  Maybe.  Breaking Bad was huge, they might let Vince run it as long as he wants, but that's very uncorporate entertainment like to do such a thing.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Well, two mob bosses being found together with one on death's door is a hell of a lot more suspicious than an old man with a medical condition having a stroke while doing his evening rounds with his bodyguards.  Why even bother allowing those suspicions when you can just tell the other guy to leave?

My point is Gus was always worried about maintaining his squeaky clean appearance. He was even friends with the police in BB. Being found with Hector doesn't seem like something he'd be ok with. 

AMC is known to be cheap, and BCS doesn't seem like it takes a whole of money to make.  Low ratings don't seem like a big deal if the show is cheap enough, and what are they going to do, make another Low Winter Sun?

Regarding Gus and Hector; Gus's long term goal is offing Don Elladio, not Hector.  He's not going to raise Elladio's suspicions by letting Hector die.

I don't understand why the show had Chuck kicking at the lantern so obviously?  He was sitting, I suppose still in the grip of his mania, but not aware he was kicking the lantern?  Or aware and trying to commit suicide?  I don't see a middle ground.  Aware but somehow not realizing the lantern could fall stretches disbelief.  Seem like an unusually clumsy scene on the show's part.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

AMC is known to be cheap, and BCS doesn't seem like it takes a whole of money to make.  Low ratings don't seem like a big deal if the show is cheap enough, and what are they going to do, make another Low Winter Sun?

Regarding Gus and Hector; Gus's long term goal is offing Don Elladio, not Hector.  He's not going to raise Elladio's suspicions by letting Hector die.

I don't understand why the show had Chuck kicking at the lantern so obviously?  He was sitting, I suppose still in the grip of his mania, but not aware he was kicking the lantern?  Or aware and trying to commit suicide?  I don't see a middle ground.  Aware but somehow not realizing the lantern could fall stretches disbelief.  Seem like an unusually clumsy scene on the show's part.

Yeah, I think we'll see BCS go to S5 unless the ratings get truly abysmal in S4. In show continuity they're in 2003 at the end of S3. Jimmy still has another 5+yrs before becoming the "Saul" Walter White calls in S2 of Breaking Bad.

As for Chuck's kicking of the lantern, I think it was definitely intentional. Chuck would rather die than accept the truth about who he is and how it's really his own fault that he ended up where he did--literally alone surrounded by the destruction he wrought. The only person who will have anything to do with Chuck is Jimmy, the little brother he used to read books to by the light of the same lantern he kicks over to kill himself with. And Chuck probably realizes he hates himself as much as he hates Jimmy, so that's likely a big part of why he kills himself. 

12 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I think it was intentional.  He's sitting at his desk, his house is completely trashed, he had given in, totally to his mania in way we had never seen before, and right after having been hopeful and sincerely trying to work on his condition.  For someone like Chuck, he had lost his identity as a lawyer after his 'retirement', he cut ties with Jimmy who came over to make peace, and then, he fell into a totally manic obsessive state, getting out of bed and tearing up his house.  He kicked the desk too many times for it to be anything but intentional. 

There's been speculation that the reason it hasn't been renewed yet it because they're negotiating an end date. AMC probably wants to do another divided final season thing like they did with Breaking Bad to avoid any contractually obligated raises if the show hits five seasons. But I expect two more (possibly abbreviated) seasons whether they call them four and five or 4A/4B. 

That was a powerful and deeply depressing last episode.  Like or hate Chuck, they did an excellent job developing him as a character, and the show did a great job allowing us to empathize with him as he spiraled out of control, even if we didn't like him. Credit as well to McKean, who was excellent throughout the series, but really hit it out of the park with that last scene with Jimmy and his downward spiral.

As a whole, I really enjoyed this season, probably a bit more than season 2. I have no criticisms really about the Jimmy side of the show, but I still wish the Mike/Gus/Nacho stuff was better integrated into the show as a whole. Right now it really feels like two to three shows at once with an occasional crossover episode, and with no indication that they'll ever really converge. I loved that they gave Michael Mando more to do, but if the payoff for all that is that we discover how a very minor character in Breaking Bad became wheelchair bound, there's not really there. I hope they have an idea of where this is all heading and that it intersects with Jimmy's storyline sooner rather than later. Maybe with Chuck gone, they'll have to, since he's been Jimmy's foil for two seasons now.

I also miss the show's humour. It's gotten a lot darker and tragic like Breaking Bad did as well, but Jimmy/Bob Odenkirk are so good at comedy and I wish they were willing to play it up more, like they did in season one.

But all that to say this is still an excellent show, I hope to hell it gets renewed, and I'm very excited for the next season.

McKean deserves at the very least an Emmy nomination if not the win.  

While some parts of this season were wonderful and there were a lot of very cinematic segments, I have liked it the least, it felt somewhat meandering and disjointed at times, like the whole was less than the sum of its parts for some reason.  I can't imagine AMC will not renew for at least one more year.

29 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

McKean deserves at the very least an Emmy nomination if not the win.  

While some parts of this season were wonderful and there were a lot of very cinematic segments, I have liked it the least, it felt somewhat meandering and disjointed at times, like the whole was less than the sum of its parts for some reason.  I can't imagine AMC will not renew for at least one more year.

Yeah now its come to an end I'm struggling a bit to see how the season managed to last so long, it seems to have been the sort of thing an episode of BB would have covered in 1-2 episodes. Thats not to say it wasn't a good season, I did very much enjoy it. However it is far too slow and ponderous to really recommend to anybody. 

In that way it reminds me of American Gods.. and even some of the Marvel properties which didn't have enough story for that amount of episodes. 

Is there something to do with the online streaming model that leads to this problem or is it simply an artistic choice?

This was the first season I didn't watch all the episodes on their first run, and while I have a high tolerance for slow moving stuff, I found myself getting a little bored in some of the episodes....which is probably why audience hasn't increased.  Even for BB fans, it can be slow going sometimes.  I still love the show and I believe it will age really, really well and I love the story they're telling....but it seems lack a certain level of cohesion that can counter it's pace.

A random thought...there has been a lot of discussion about Jimmy's guilt and reaction to Chuck's death, but no one mentions Howard?  Isn't he going to feel guilty also?  That as soon as he ushers Chuck out of HHM, he tears up his house and then sets it on fire?

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

A random thought...there has been a lot of discussion about Jimmy's guilt and reaction to Chuck's death, but no one mentions Howard?  Isn't he going to feel guilty also?  That as soon as he ushers Chuck out of HHM, he tears up his house and then sets it on fire?

Good point. I have no idea how Howard will react... Jimmy is an easier read... Howard can go either way

Archived