Better Call Saul -- Season 3 Fring-ing The Gang Back Together Again

SpaceChampion

I think Kim will definitely lose Mesa Verde, because, it looks like it really is too much for a single lawyer to handle, if she is basically staying up all the time and catching 5 minutes in her car..... That look Paige gave at the end was like 'WTF?' She will either eventually make a mistake due to exhaustion and sheer volume of work, or Jimmy will do something that somehow reverbates onto her.  It looked like she was no longer down w/the bar scams though, so I don't know if I see her doing that again.  I'm just glad that she is feeling guilt over Chuck, it shows she still has her moral compass, even if that whole fiasco did tarnish her a bit.

I think the questioning of that 96%(?) figure in Kim and Paige's meeting is a foreshadowing of Paige actually double checking Kim's work and Kim having made a mistake. Not necessarily on that particular figure, but on some other detail that will cost Mesa Verde a pile of cash.

Mesa Verde will go back to HHM, and that will really seal the injustice of the system in Jimmy's eyes.

Kim is a competent enough lawyer that she should be able to land on her feet, even if that means going back to being an associate in a law firm. Hell, I think Howard Hamlin is a nice enough guy that he would probably take Kim back, if she asked. But I don't think Kim will ask.

15 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think the questioning of that 96%(?) figure in Kim and Paige's meeting is a foreshadowing of Paige actually double checking Kim's work and Kim having made a mistake. Not necessarily on that particular figure, but on some other detail that will cost Mesa Verde a pile of cash.

Mesa Verde will go back to HHM, and that will really seal the injustice of the system in Jimmy's eyes.

Kim is a competent enough lawyer that she should be able to land on her feet, even if that means going back to being an associate in a law firm. Hell, I think Howard Hamlin is a nice enough guy that he would probably take Kim back, if she asked. But I don't think Kim will ask.

Yeah, I think the odds are higher that she makes a mistake than that they ditch her over Jimmy, it's also a certain type of poetic justice that she got the account due to a fake mistake by HHM, and then would lose it due to a real one of her own.  Howard did treat her pretty badly there for a while, I can't imagine she would ever go back there, maybe the other firm would take her the ones that offered her the job, but I think the resolution of Kim's story is she will leave NM altogether, so there will be no hope for Jimmy.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, I think the odds are higher that she makes a mistake than that they ditch her over Jimmy, it's also a certain type of poetic justice that she got the account due to a fake mistake by HHM, and then would lose it due to a real one of her own.  Howard did treat her pretty badly there for a while, I can't imagine she would ever go back there, maybe the other firm would take her the ones that offered her the job, but I think the resolution of Kim's story is she will leave NM altogether, so there will be no hope for Jimmy.

I think that would be the best thing ever for Kim. A complete do-over. In Jimmy's mind Kim leaving will be yet more proof of other people screwing her over (running her out of town, and out of Jimmy's life) and how the world is just not fair. Which of course pushes him further to / over the edge.

It's interesting that Cinnebon team leader being post BB is Jimmy's first(?) really honest long term job. Though I guess mail room at HHM was also an honest job. But those are the only 2 true morally bright spots in an otherwise shady life. I guess I should also give him credit for what he did for the elderly, for the short time he practised elder law.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think that would be the best thing ever for Kim. A complete do-over. In Jimmy's mind Kim leaving will be yet more proof of other people screwing her over (running her out of town, and out of Jimmy's life) and how the world is just not fair. Which of course pushes him further to / over the edge.

It's interesting that Cinnebon team leader being post BB is Jimmy's first(?) really honest long term job. Though I guess mail room at HHM was also an honest job. But those are the only 2 true morally bright spots in an otherwise shady life. I guess I should also give him credit for what he did for the elderly, for the short time he practised elder law.

The writers are really good at showing the complexity of behavior.  Jimmy does have a good heart, sort of, some times.  A few different breaks, a brother with a more forgiving attitude, it could have been different.  Or not.  Because he's been given several chances to succeed, and he has always either self sabotaged or cut corners.  

I can't see Kim still being around once Jimmy goes full Saul.  And I feel like whatever happens it is going to result in her leaving to start over somewhere else.  I still think though that something else is going to happen w/Chuck, there is also no way that even a crazy Chuck would stand for Saul Goodman in the same town as HHM, so Chuck has to die or fully break w/reality and be committed.

On 5/24/2017 at 3:25 PM, dbunting said:

I must have missed something since no one else asked about it, where did Mike get that bag full of cash? Is this the money that his son was arrested/killed for?

I agree on this point. If you haven't seen BB yet, go ahead and ride this out and then watch it. BB is leaps and bounds better than BCS.

For me this will just now get to the "fun" stuff, no more Jimmy and here comes Saul. We have seen the deterioration of Jimmy and Kim is really starting to see it. Saul will be pulling his hotel bar scams soon to pay his share of the rent and by seasons end Kim will either lose Mesa Verde because of him or decide to just leave because she is seeing who Jimmy truly is.

Well, Hector did pay him $50,000 to say that Tuco's gun was his ($25,000 of which Mike returned to Nacho). So maybe that's the money he was counting. Or perhaps he has fully gone into Gus' employ, and is counting the money received for the next job he does for Gus. . 

On 24/05/2017 at 1:39 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm not sure there will be a direct connection. Perhaps the story just plucked a sympathetic heart string. Hard to know though. Mike possibly thinks the woman's husband might have been mixed up in some shady shit and the "hikes" were just a ruse. But looking into that to find out if the husband was mixed up in shady shit is probably not a good idea.

I thought it was the "not knowing" part. She said the hardest part was not knowing what happened to him, and that's essentially what would've happened with pharmaceutical guy. He just would've disappeared and Mike would never have known whether he fled, or moved on, or got killed, or whatever. 

RE Kim and mesa verde and her overworking herself... I don't understand why she doesn't hire help? A gig like that would be raking in the money so it's not as if she can't afford it. If HHM still had them as a client they'd have several staff working them

47 minutes ago, dooog said:

RE Kim and mesa verde and her overworking herself... I don't understand why she doesn't hire help? A gig like that would be raking in the money so it's not as if she can't afford it. If HHM still had them as a client they'd have several staff working them

I was thinking the same thing, and wondering if Jimmy's suspension prevented him from working as a paralegal. If he could do some of the behind the scenes stuff and collect a modest paycheck that seems like the obvious solution. 

On 5/25/2017 at 6:08 PM, dooog said:

I'm guessing the gig is still new and she hasn't gotten much of the pay rolling in yet. Also, her pride and perfectionism is in effect, too. So she's probably just barreling through on her own out of some that she "has to" do it that way.

On 5/25/2017 at 6:57 PM, RumHam said:

I was thinking the same thing, and wondering if Jimmy's suspension prevented him from working as a paralegal. If he could do some of the behind the scenes stuff and collect a modest paycheck that seems like the obvious solution. 

I think, similar to Kim, his own ego is even keeping him from seeing that as an option at this point. He's been wronged by Chuck and he's out for a sense of justice in his life--that's why he's focussing on getting back money he's already spent rather than earning "new" money. That's why he wanted to take down the douchebag at the bar so badly, too.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Oh and WTF is wrong with Kim?  She must be making huge $$ with Mesa Verde, why doesn't she hire some law student to work on the first drafts and research?

Yeah, this is quite baffling. She could even hire Ernesto. This reminds me of the big deal that was made of Kim's student loans, making it seem like it was a huge sum of money, only to find out that it was a relatively modest amount.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, this is quite baffling. She could even hire Ernesto. This reminds me of the big deal that was made of Kim's student loans, making it seem like it was a huge sum of money, only to find out that it was a relatively modest amount.

Unless they are supposed to be paying CRAZY rent on that office, it doesn't make much sense why she couldn't hire someone.  I agree that student loan was really a small $$.  She is so going to pull a "Chuck" and fuck something up with this second huge client with a wall of boxes of background information.  

That was a pretty good episode. Agree with all the praise Michael Mando has been getting too because he's really nailed this role. Jimmy easily talking the parks supervisor into getting his way I thought was a little much, but seeing more development of Saul and him dealing with his future clientele was cool.

The pill scene was intense, and seeing the dealers awkwardly trying to pay respects to Hector is always funny.

14 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Unless they are supposed to be paying CRAZY rent on that office, it doesn't make much sense why she couldn't hire someone.  I agree that student loan was really a small $$.  She is so going to pull a "Chuck" and fuck something up with this second huge client with a wall of boxes of background information.  

The rent surely can't be some ridiculous amount plus Mesa Verde must be a big account with a crapload of billable hours. Once again, just like with Kim's student loans, the writers are making a mountain out of a molehill. I agree that Kim is being set up for a major screw up but the writers are going about it in a really poor way.

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Michael Mando was brilliant. Hope he has a great career after this. Hope Nacho makes it out of this show alive.

"best 700$ I spent in my life" Jimmys ready to ditch elder law now for mug mealers for sure :D 

Yeah, he's great, everyone is so good at the subtle emotions on BCS.  Sometimes I tell myself that Nacho is so totally marked for death, that he will live.  But, probably not.

You kind of have to wonder though with Mike's back story...how he came to ever allow Walt to make a deal that gave Hector any satisfaction at all.  Of course by then I was constantly screaming at the TV 'just fucking kill Walt, Jesse will get over it' and had been for some time.  

Maybe it's Kim's perfectionism that is causing her not to hire help?  Or she doesn't want anyone else to have a window into any Jimmy shenanagans?  It's weird, and they usually are pretty good w/no plot holes on this show.

I think the explanation for Kim is pretty simple. She's used to living frugally, and to doing everything on her own. While some who suddenly come into money might suddenly start spending extravagantly (Jimmy), she's gone the opposite route and continues to scrimp and save. It's simply how she's accustomed to living and working. 

Archived