Better Call Saul -- Season 3 Fring-ing The Gang Back Together Again

SpaceChampion

Jimmy being an excellent lawyer makes his actions even more despicable. He could play it straight and be  successful but chooses not to. Hell, he had a great job, one that most lawyers would give an arm and a leg for, at Davis and Main where he was given every opportunity yet burned those bridges all by himself. Yes, Chuck is an asshole. Jimmy is an asshole too. Only one of them is a criminal though.

10 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Jimmy being an excellent lawyer makes his actions even more despicable. He could play it straight and be  successful but chooses not to. Hell, he had a great job, one that most lawyers would give an arm and a leg for, at Davis and Main where he was given every opportunity yet burned those bridges all by himself. Yes, Chuck is an asshole. Jimmy is an asshole too. Only one of them is a criminal though.

Yes.  He had everything.  Hell he could have lured Kim over to D/M and they could have lived happily ever after...maybe eventually going out on their own after a few years.  But no.  Slippin Jimmy felt too constrained by actual legal protocols and the idea of having to answer to anyone.  So, he blew up that job, knowing exactly what it would do to his finances.  

I"m in the minority but I find what he did with forging Chuck's papers is actually worse than what he did to the little old lady.  At least the little old lady is going to presumably get some $$$.  He basically ruined and destroyed Chuck's reason for living:  being a lawyer.  And, it's all going to ricochet back on Kim anyway....Paige has been giving her funny looks ever since their conversation about Chuck, her behavior in the restaurant was also quite bizarre if you think about it.  And now, she will be incapable of working on either of her accounts for who knows how long.  So, all for nothing.

Fucking up the David and Main thing wasn't Jimmy doing anything morally wrong though, he just made a commercial and aired it once without permission. It was ill thought out, but he wanted to be able to demonstrate how effective it would be when he pitched it. I think those kinds of problems just come from his personality type, not his moral failings. Some people just don't do well with structure. He was unhappy at Davis and Main, he was much happier in private practice and he knew that, so he left. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. He's done a lot of things that are totally wrong, but I don't judge the whole Davis and Main bit because it was a bad fit for him.

7 minutes ago, Kelli Fury said:

Fucking up the David and Main thing wasn't Jimmy doing anything morally wrong though, he just made a commercial and aired it once without permission. It was ill thought out, but he wanted to be able to demonstrate how effective it would be when he pitched it. I think those kinds of problems just come from his personality type, not his moral failings. Some people just don't do well with structure. He was unhappy at Davis and Main, he was much happier in private practice and he knew that, so he left. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. He's done a lot of things that are totally wrong, but I don't judge the whole Davis and Main bit because it was a bad fit for him.

Maybe it's not morally wrong in your opinion. I lose enough sleep when I expose myself to the world in a manner in which I'm not entirely comfortable. Doing so for someone else (with the pretense that I'm speaking for them) without their permission is unfathomable to me. Especially if I already have information where I learned that they're highly conservative about the manner in which they usually expose themselves. Even if I were to believe that it would ultimately be good for them, I'm violating a right of theirs to not do this, while invoking the "I know what's best for you" argument. While it intuitively sounds more egregious to do this to an individual than an organization, I still think the moral argument holds for an organization.

It's not illegal though. But I don't like to conflate the two when evaluating the morality of an action.

13 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

Are we about to get into corporate personhood?

No, an organization is run by people and those people have desires that can be violated, same as anyone else. Just because they're (usually) far more rich and successful than most, that doesn't weaken your moral obligations towards them.

I don't think the commercial was immoral but it was just Jimmy being who he is: a guy who makes up his own rules.

And there we have the good and the bad.  He was correct, his commercial was a huge success.  But, he refused to go through proper channels, and so, didn't follow the rules.

I don't think the show will go for 2 more years, it doesn't have that much of an audience, so unless they have the 5th year be in the present with Jimmy at the Cinnebun I think they wrap it after next year.

I'd say the S3 finale was pretty on par with the season as a whole. Best scene for me was Jimmy saying goodbye to that wall he painted. (I'm guessing the "better wall" line was a reference to the one in his office in Breaking Bad.) But the WM wall represented Jimmy's dream, a dream he worked very hard to see happen and it's gone. Thanks, Chuck!  Okay, it's not entirely Chuck's fault--but it's a goodly portion that rests on his shoulders. Chuck is conceited, envious, judgemental, and spiteful. I never liked him more than when I saw him kicking that lantern over.

I liked how they finally started showing some affection between Kim and Jimmy this season. I still think their physical affection on the show is rather understated considering how much Jimmy loves Kim though. Several times on Talking Saul it was mentioned how Jimmy's world would crumble without Kim and how it was the accident with Kim that made Jimmy decide to postpone his Sandpiper settlement payday in exchange for making things right with poor Irene. (What a great job that actress did. Seeing that sad face of hers when Jimmy walked into the chair yoga class almost broke my heart.) But I'm just not seeing that love on screen. Hopefully there's more of that in S4.

I know Gus stayed to make sure Hector survived, but you would think being found with a known cartel boss would be problematic for him. 

Chuck's final scene was very satisfying for me. People can get up on their moral high horses all that want and defend him, but the guy is a world class POS in my book. 

Nacho lives for another season!  Woohoo.

I'm not sure about Gus trying to save Hector's life, he had already humiliated him, why not just let him die right there?  

That Chuck scene was so stressful, the show is so good at no dialog segments.  

Did Jimmy postpone Sandpiper?  I must have missed that.  I guess next season is going to be the unraveling of Kim and Jimmy and that will be what causes him to go full Saul.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I know Gus stayed to make sure Hector survived, but you would think being found with a known cartel boss would be problematic for him. 

Chuck's final scene was very satisfying for me. People can get up on their moral high horses all that want and defend him, but the guy is a world class POS in my book. 

The called 911 for an ambulance, not for cops.

8 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah Jimmy sacrificed his fat pay check from Sandpiper to get Irene back in with her friends. 

Gus trying to save Hector was a bit much yeah, I guess he really wanted to end his line while he was still breathing :dunno: 

Yeah, he will be happy that Hector is an invalid who can't speak....but he can't have known that Hector wouldn't make a full recovery, so a bit much for sure.  

So, if I missed that Sandpiper isn't settling, then where did Howard get a spare $9M, and what in the hell is Jimmy going to do to keep he and Kim afloat?  

20 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Did Jimmy postpone Sandpiper?  I must have missed that.

That was the whole chair yoga scene with the mic that Jimmy "accidentally" left on.

58 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Howard didnt have 9 million. He scraped funds from his personal monies and got loans just to hand Chuck that first 3 million dollar installment which will presumably never be cashed.  

I know he mentioned loans....but 9M is a lot of money, that would suggest to me he will also want to settle sandpiper and get that windfall in order to pay the next intallments, no? It seemed a bit unrealistic, like the $14K that was Kim's loan, but a minor quibble.

Chuck loses when he wins.  Now he literally has nothing, no legal career, and he again told his brother to fuck off.  Though of course he's right about Jimmy, who will go on hurting people and feeling sorry that he did it.  I thought Nacho was BCS's version of Jesse, but maybe it's Jimmy.

LOL, I must have really not been paying attention..I didn't see the end as Chuck definitely dying..but I guess that is what happens:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/arts/television/better-call-saul-finale-michael-mckean-chuck.html

I think Jimmy doing the right thing with the oldies, and feeling pretty crap about it and probably losing all that money for quite a while has probably permanently cured him of doing right by people. Still has a soft spot for Kim though, no doubt.

What a shit way for Chuck to go out.

I think Chuck's death will leave a pretty big hole in the series.  I am more and more convinced they are going to go only one more year.  Hopefully AMC let's them know this so they can wrap the show up the way they want to.  

Chuck seems like the type of person who would most assuredly have an iron clad will that is going to make sure everything but a couple of fuck you mementos goes somewhere other than to his brother.

Archived