Better Call Saul -- Season 3 Fring-ing The Gang Back Together Again

SpaceChampion

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Wouldn't it be great if Mike is the cause of Hector's stroke?  Yeah, that's mean, I don't care.

That's where it looks like things are leading.

9 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Eh, this is Jimmy we're talking about anyway.  He'll do something sly and dastardly to get out of losing his license.  Not just a simple defense.

Maybe that's where Jimmy's connection with Mike comes in and Mike's new connection with Fring. Or maybe Jimmy's connection with Ignacio (who is maybe the "Nacho" Jimmy Saul was talking about in his first appearance in BB?). Be difficult if it were both as Nacho works for Salamanca and Mike's against them.

I wonder, how has Gus managed to stay under the radar for all those years, when there's constantly sketchy cartel-looking guys coming into the restaurant asking for him? At the very least there should be rumors circulating all over the place that Los Pollos is a cartel hot spot.

Jimmy's fake apology was riddled with irony. On one hand it's obvious that he's referring to Chuck's actions when he says "no one should treat his own brother like that". Yet the irony, which likely escapes Jimmy, is that that statement could easily refer to Jimmy's actions over the past couple of seasons. For one thing, he says that right after hiring a guy to go into Chuck's house against his wishes and do some illicit things that will sabotage the case. That's on top of the fact that he took advantage of Chuck's trust in order to forge his documents and sabotage his career. I mean, my god, the things Chuck did to Jimmy pales in comparison to what Jimmy does to Chuck, but he's completely oblivious to it. At least Mike didn't validate his little vendetta. 

By the way, I'm sure others mentioned this, but Kim is taking a similar path to Skyler. First she took a solid principled stance and disapproved of Jimmy's unethical behavior, keeping her distance. But now that one of the (massively reckless) things he did benefits her, she's falling into the trap of entangling herself with him. Obviously she's helping him do something illegitimate (though we're not sure what it is right now... switching the tape?) and it might come to light that she was aware of Jimmy's forgery. Everything went to shit for Skyler. I'm guessing the same will happen to Kim. I could very well see an end where she gets disbarred.

Absolutely superb episode of BCS. I was wondering would Gus end up becoming a central character whose screen-time could eventually rival Saul's (much the same as what happened with Mike), and if this episode is any indication, he surely will.

I love the additional angle that they gave to Gus and Hector's relationship. Not only is there the animosity from Gus (for obvious reason), but Hector also has an axe to grind as Gus' operation generates more money for the cartel than Hector's. Thus, Gus becomes a kind of golden boy in Don Eladio's eyes, while Hector is given the shaft. I wonder what Gus' plan is going forward? Obviously he knew that Hector would try to bully him into sharing his distribution routes with him, so I wonder what Gus intends to do to use this to his advantage against Hector. 

I love seeing Gus and Mike interact too. It's great seeing origin story of the business relationship of two of my top three favourite characters.

don't have the slightest inclination of what Jimmy/Kim are planning

Jimmy/Kim seem to want the tape played at the hearing (although I'm not sure how Kim's confrontation with Chuck at the end makes that any more or less likely)

as someone said, perhaps they plan to switch the tapes

no idea what purpose Mike's photos serve, but from Jimmy's commentary it sounds like he wants to present them in some form

I'm starting to dislike Kim.  I agree she's going the way of Sky.....it would a nice touch if somehow it ends up that Kim is the one whose life is totally ruined by Jimmy's actions and she gets disbarred instead of him.  Sort of similar in some ways as to how Walt's BS always ended up hurting Jesse instead of him.  Oh Gus, didn't anyone ever tell you that the half measure never works out.  

Great ep, one of the best of the series. 

13 hours ago, The King in Black said:

Giancarlo Espesito has such a gravity man. Gus dominates every scene he's in.  

Yeah it's cool having him back on my TV screen. 

So what did Mike take from Chucks address book for Jimmy? 

17 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Great ep, one of the best of the series. 

Him , McShane , MEW and a double dose of Carrie Coon and Ewan MgGregor. It's like TV is blessing us with the best before Writer's Strike begins 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

speculation is contact info for Chuck's wife

4 hours ago, Commodore said:

speculation is contact info for Chuck's wife

She would be an interesting wildcard.  We've been shown that she found Jimmy…charming, at least, but she'd have to have some pretty deep animosity towards Chuck to get dragged back into a feud between her ex and his brother.  Maybe if Jimmy is going deep with a "my poor brother" defense and Chuck's 'condition' had some part in ending his marriage.  

Wish we'd seen more of the photos Mike took, but the one with the gas lantern sitting on a pile of combustable newspapers really looks like they are going to try to portray Chuck as mentally incompetent/danger to self etc.  It sucks for Chuck but really, to any outside observer, there is just so much history and evidence of Jimmy as the dutiful, caring, supportive brother to an increasingly paranoid and delusional Chuck.  I think the "bingo" was out of relief that a tape still exists, because Kim wants to play it and have Chuck explain the context and setting where the conversation took place.

They've got to be setting Chuck up for the ultimate instance of "Everybody likes Jimmy.  He's got them all fooled"  or however he puts it.  

14 hours ago, aFeastForDragons said:

This show is getting so boring, any slower and we will be going backwards. I wish they wouldn't waste so much time and cut it down to less episodes instead of the Netflix approach of dragging it out. 

I wouldn't say that's the Netflix approach.  Cable shows have pretty much always been 10-13 episodes per season.  This has been the case for ages now.  Some shows have less (Oz, for example), but the average seems to hover between the aforementioned 10-13.  

I personally don't find the show boring, though.  It's slow, but I don't mind because I'm already invested in both of the main characters (Saul and Mike) from Breaking Bad, and I enjoy seeing how they both got to the point where they met Walt.

I think they want the tape to be played for the same reason mentioned above. So Jimmy can say that he was exhausted with arguing with Chuck and was willing to just say anything to make him feel better. The pictures of how Chuck lives will be used to support just how severe Chucks condition it.  That was also a good thought on the contact information being Cucks ex wife, I hadn't considered her.

Gus-Hector, thinking Gus wanted Hector to "make'" him mule his drugs as well, since basically Hector just gave Gus his distribution without realizing it. Gus can do this a few trips and then Hector suffers a purely natural stroke and Gus now has all of his territory as well. 

43 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I will be disappointed if the Chuck 'take down' is just them making him look crazy to a jury.....and if that is how it plays out....how does Jimmy end up as Saul?

Not a jury... the bar disciplinary panel.  The criminal side of it was settled with the diversion and apology (assuming Jimmy stays out of trouble for the entire year).  I don't see Saul emerging from this incident as it's playing out so far.  My guess right now would be Chuck's firm sues Jimmy for trying to associate his name with that firm?  But that seems too benign :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Not a jury... the bar disciplinary panel.  The criminal side of it was settled with the diversion and apology (assuming Jimmy stays out of trouble for the entire year).  I don't see Saul emerging from this incident as it's playing out so far.  My guess right now would be Chuck's firm sues Jimmy for trying to associate his name with that firm?  But that seems too benign :dunno:

Then that should fail, shouldn't it, because they already said that everyone on the bar committee is a pal of Chuck's or whose career was made by Chuck....so even if they think Chuck has gone nuts....it seems unlikely they would side w/his criminal brother?  Howard still defers to Chuck even though he knows Chuck is out of his mind.

Archived