The Most Accurate Predictions?

U. B. Cool

Who out of all the prophets and prophetess is the most accurate with predicting the future?

• Bloodraven/Brynden Rivers
  • Mellisandre
  • Moqorro
  • Ghost of High Heart
  • Daenys the Dreamer
  • Maggy the Frog
  • Bran Stark
  • Jenny of Oldstones
  • Daeron Targaryen

Do you believe Shiera Seastar was a dreamer?

Visions lead to Interpretations which when made public become Predictions.  The first is questionable since we now know that the folks with the powers can send dreams and suggestions to those susceptible.  Bran is a greenseer and can see visions from the trees but that also makes him vulnerable to someone who can give him false visions.  The bloodraven was feeding him dreams if  you recall.

Accurate:

1. Daenys
  2. Maggy
  3. Daeron

Maggy the frog is so correct that she is mood-destroying and quite frankly shitty writing. Her predictions are eerie accurate compared with basically everyone elses, and can mention details few others can. She is not just "on the money" but even correct on things like numbers. She say the exact number of cerseis children, not just "several". And no interpretations needed (mostly) - just straight up facts, like that she will marry the king (in a way that makes it obvious that she knows she is talking about a completely different person). 

GRRM wanted Cersei crazy faster and gave her a prophecy that is very inflexible to motivate this change. 

4 hours ago, Protagoras said:

Maggy the frog is so correct that she is mood-destroying and quite frankly shitty writing. Her predictions are eerie accurate compared with basically everyone elses, and can mention details few others can. She is not just "on the money" but even correct on things like numbers. She say the exact number of cerseis children, not just "several". And no interpretations needed (mostly) - just straight up facts, like that she will marry the king (in a way that makes it obvious that she knows she is talking about a completely different person). 

GRRM wanted Cersei crazy faster and gave her a prophecy that is very inflexible to motivate this change. 

I watched the show before I read the books and when Maggy the Frog opened S5 I was like "WTF is this nonsense out of nowhere."  It is much worse in AFFC than it was on tv.

5 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

Moqorro, although we've seen too little of him, seems to be on the money. 

Agreed, he and Victarion are a vicious tag-team.

Personally, I'm rooting for Patchface to be the most accurate, though I have no idea what he means most of the time.  Saw him notably absent from your list.  To be honest, I have a hard timing picturing him or hearing his voice/inflection/tone - he is the most difficult character for me to imagine.

Yes, I believe the Maggy story served to explain Cersei's behavior, serve as foreshadowing, make the reader realize that prophecy is not just coincidental in this world, and make the reader wonder about the fates of Cersei children. After Cersei kills her BFF, she can't be easily seen as merely a victim of Roberts and society. It's complicated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2017 at 7:24 PM, Enzo Ferrari said:

Who out of all the prophets and prophetess is the most accurate with predicting the future?

• Bloodraven/Brynden Rivers
  • Mellisandre
  • Moqorro
  • Ghost of High Heart
  • Daenys the Dreamer
  • Maggy the Frog
  • Bran Stark
  • Jenny of Oldstones
  • Daeron Targaryen

Do you believe Shiera Seastar was a dreamer?

Jenny wasn't magical. Don't forget patchface though. Euron, Dany and Aeron all drank shade so they need to be on that list

On 4/2/2017 at 8:43 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

We can't really know this until the series says, "the end."  

So far, patchface has been 100% All the others will have to wait 

Daenys the Dreamer, being the only Valyrian to dream/predict the absolute destruction of one of the greatest empires ever saving her entire family and five dragons is a pretty huge deal. Who knows what other prophetic dreams she might have had.

IF Rhaegar predicted the Long Night 2.0 he should be high on the list as well.

Hard to say. All of these people seem to get true visions, but some of them interpret their visions, while others just give pure accounts of what they see. So Mel vs the Ghost of High Heart, for example, would be an unfair comparison.

I forget, does Marwyn also do prophecies?

ETA: Don't forget Quaithe!

Highly accurate, prophecies of these two people allowed others to take effective actions in the real world:

Daenys:  She did a whole book of prophecies. However, the only one we know definitely was hers was the Doom of Valyria, which was accurate enough that concrete action could be taken.

Benerro:  His visions are accurate enough that Moqorro could travel to Meereen (Moqorro is often given credit for Benerro's visions). .

Accurate, prophecies of these people are accurate in retrospect. However, they are more symbolic and not clear enough to suggest different courses of action:

Ghost of High Heart: All of hers have come to pass except for one, which is debated.

Daeron:  All of his have come to pass except for one, which isn't debated enough.

Bran:  I get the impression that Bran's visions are what could be, not necessarily what will be. However, there are no clear actions that an be taken.

Melisandre:  Her visions are accurate but highly symbolic. Because of the nature of her visons, her interpretations leave a lot of room for error.

Special category,

Maggy the Frog:  Very accurate, however, her prophecy is a form of blood magic. It is not straight prophecy. I think the complaints against Maggy are somewhat exaggerated.

Quaithe:  It is not clear exactly what Quaithe is up to. She appears to be using glass candles to travel into Dany's dreams. However, where she is getting her information and why she is communicating with Dany is completely unknown at this time.

Bloodraven: While Bloodraven was always a greenseer (people are born greenseers), his visions have probably become much clearer and more accurate since he has bonded with a tree.

Marwyn: In answer to Hodor the Articulate's question above: Marwyn is a prophecy junkie like Aemon and Rhaegar. While all three were obsessed with prophecy, none of them actually had premonitions themselves.

ETA:  Special mention goes to Stannis Baratheon who saw the Battle at the Fist of the First Men in an exceptionally realistic vision.

ETA2:  I should have put Patchface in with Ghost of High Heart, etc. His prophecies are highly accurate in retrospect, but he has several that are still outstanding and their meaning is very debatable.

2 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Jenny wasn't magical. Don't forget patchface though. Euron, Dany and Aeron all drank shade so they need to be on that list

So far, patchface has been 100% All the others will have to wait 

I'd say Patchface is maybe the best so far, and probably the most accurate (next to Maggy), but still not everything he says has had a chance to come "true", and he is so cryptic that we readers may have interpreted his predictions incorrectly. I mean, do we know for sure who the mermen eating on starfish soup are? And just who are these crabby men who like to serve? I have my own ideas, but I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I'd say Patchface is maybe the best so far, and probably the most accurate (next to Maggy), but still not everything he says has had a chance to come "true", and he is so cryptic that we readers may have interpreted his predictions incorrectly. I mean, do we know for sure who the mermen eating on starfish soup are? And just who are these crabby men who like to serve? I have my own ideas, but I could be wrong.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I've seen many different interpretations as to who Patchface might be refering to in this passage, none of which I found very convincing, or made a lick of sense to me. That is, until I came across your interpretation.

You could be wrong, but I wouldn't wager my last groat on it. I'd say, from Dorne to the Wall, Braavos to Asshai, and everywhere under the sea, yours is the most intriguing and probable theory out there, as far as I know, I know, oh oh oh.

Archived