Dany, blood of the Dragom?

PrinceHenryris

11 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

So, why is Dany the perfect Targaryen woman and the mother of dragons?

she cared for the eggs, heated them, inadvertently made the sacrifices to hatch them and then cared and raised them.  I don't know why you need to ask the question but there is the answer. Also, in conjunction with the dragonseed plot from the princess and the queen, it seems that "the blood of the dragon" is not nearly as important as people make it out to be, just like kingsblood.
  /thread

7 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Reincarnation is a fact in aSoIaF and maybe Aegon the Conqueror, Daenys the Dreamer, Azor Ahai, and Daenerys are all the same soul.  

Is reincarnation a fact in ASOIAF?  I'm not directly challenging you so much as I'm stating that I did not pick up on that.  There's talk of souls going to the drowned god's watery halls or becoming one with the trees (old gods) and other forms of the afterlife besides reincarnation.  Unless you're just stating that prophecies of reincarnation are presented in ASOIAF.

11 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Jon's grandparents on one side were both Targaryens, and his grandparents on the other side were both Starks. That seems to make him half Targaryen and half Stark.

Depends how far back you go. If we stop after two generations, Daenerys is full-blooded Targaryen.

24 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I just meant that Rhaegar was also half Blackwood and he would have passed that on to Johan Freezeypants as well.

If we go back four generations from Jon, we get five parts Blackwood (he has a great great grandmother Blackwood on his mother's side too), four parts Targaryen, one part Locke, one part Royce, one part Flint, and two parts unknown. 

12 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Aegon V was 1/4 Targaryen.  He was also  1/4 Martell and 1/2 Dayne.

your 1/2 Dayne quote only makes sense because we don't know who Dyanna Dayne's ancestors were. Since House Dayne has no known culture of incest, it doesn't make sense to believe that she is "pure Dayne". Purity of blood really ins't a thing, and the more closely you look at family and inheritance, the more obvious that is. The only things you really can look at are unbroken lines, and your respective place in them; and general composition of your family and community, which says something about the environment your ancestors and eventually you grow up in. The fractional concept is interesting here, because it really shows how the idea of being a pure member of any single group (other than the great human family) is total nonsense.

Guys you're trying to analyze genetics from a cientific point of view in a fantasy setting series. When Ned found out about the incest of Cersei and Jaime he used the FANTASY genetics book, where Baratheon's black/brownish hair has the upperhand, but they were so damn mixed it doesn't make sense that the black hair is so damn prevelent.

1 minute ago, velo-knight said:

Purity of blood really isn't a thing, and the more closely you look at family and inheritance, the more obvious that is. The only things you really can look at are unbroken lines, and your respective place in them; and general composition of your family and community, which says something about the environment your ancestors and eventually you grow up in. The fractional concept is interesting here, because it really shows how the concept of being a pure member of a single family (other than the great human family) is total nonsense.

The book kind of rams this down the reader's throat. Still, nobody pays attention

6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Does everyone who lives in Dragonestone has to be a Valyrian?

And you know that how?

No, not everyone, but around that time there was a lot of Valyrian descendants living on dragonstone.

I know that because she can ride a dragon. While we have seen people with diluted Valyrian blood be rejected by a dragon (Quentyn Martell) but as far as I'm aware we have no examples of non-Valyrians riding dragons. If such an example could be pointed out, then I will gladly amend my statement.

8 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Nettles most likely wasn't a dragonspawn either.

I think "most likely" is an overstatement. Though it's a possible, I think considering the centuries of history of seemingly only Valyrians riding dragons the probabilities trend toward her most likely being a dragonspawn. The only reason there's a chance she isn't a dragonspawn is because she bonded with her dragon by feeding it sheep instead of however others bonded with dragons and we don't have any medieval DNA tests.  

2 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Guys you're trying to analyze genetics from a cientific point of view in a fantasy setting series. When Ned found out about the incest of Cersei and Jaime he used the FANTASY genetics book, where Baratheon's black/brownish hair has the upperhand, but they were so damn mixed it doesn't make sense that the black hair is so damn prevelent.

THIS!! I think trying to analyze this in-depth is going to be issue when in-story, the most genetics we get it is hair and eye color.

10 hours ago, Tralalala said:

Yeah i call bullshit,she's as much blood of the dragon as any stark child is blood of the other/ice/winter,her dragon hatching is either a completely styled event by someone else or just blind dumb luck on her part,and of course  she could be the trope princess(if you can call that special) managing just because.

It wasn't luck.  Dany knew what she was doing with those eggs.  She knew they would hatch. 

15 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Quotes. Please.

Daenerys' last chapter in AGOT, which begins on page 798. 

On page 800 Jorah asked, "You do not mean to die with him?  You swear it, my queen?"

"I swear it," she said in the Common Tongue of the Seven Kingdom that by right were hers.

On page 803 Jorah said, "My queen, Drogo will have no use for dragon's eggs in the night lands.  Better to sell them in Asshai"

To which Dany responds, "They were not given to me to sell."

On page 805.  She had sensed the truth of it long ago, Dany thought as she stepped closer to the conflagration, but the brazier had not been hot enough.

On page 806.  Unafraid, Dany stepped forward into the firestorm, and called out to her children.

It is beyond doubt that Daenerys knew exactly what she was doing.

17 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Aegon V was 1/4 Targaryen.  He was also  1/4 Martell and 1/2 Dayne.

He married a Blackwood.

So, Aegon V's kids were 1/8 Targaryen, 1/8 Martell, 2/8 Dayne, and 1/2 Blackwood.

Jaehyris II and Shaera, the same mix.

Aerys II and Rhaella, the same mix.

So, why is Dany the perfect Targaryen woman and the mother of dragons?

I don't know where the "perfect Targaryen woman" thing is coming from but I can answer the second part for you. Timing.

She gets dragon eggs as major magic is coming back into the world. She also has the instincts to put the eggs in the pyre, add MMD to it, and throw herself in for good measure. 

It's not like we've got other Targaryens trying to hatch dragon eggs. Could be if Viserys had lived he could have hatched them...of course he could never be their mother.

3 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

No, not everyone, but around that time there was a lot of Valyrian descendants living on dragonstone.

I know that because she can ride a dragon. While we have seen people with diluted Valyrian blood be rejected by a dragon (Quentyn Martell) but as far as I'm aware we have no examples of non-Valyrians riding dragons. If such an example could be pointed out, then I will gladly amend my statement.

You're wrong on Quentyn. He was trying to claim Viserion. It was Rhaegal who roasted him, possibly out of jealousy.

If Viserion had been the only dragon down there, Quent might have succeeded.

ETA: somebody taught the Valyrians how to tame and ride dragons. They didn't discover it on their own. So someone else did ride dragons way back in history somewhere. Clearly there's a secret to it, and it likely lies in blood-bonding. All Valyrian sorcery is rooted in fire and blood. Dragons are fire made flesh. Add blood bonding, and a spell to make it work and you've hit the trifecta. 

7 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

You're wrong on Quentyn. He was trying to claim Viserion. It was Rhaegal who roasted him, possibly out of jealousy.

If Viserion had been the only dragon down there, Quent might have succeeded.

ETA: somebody taught the Valyrians how to tame and ride dragons. They didn't discover it on their own. So someone else did ride dragons way back in history somewhere. Clearly there's a secret to it, and it likely lies in blood-bonding. All Valyrian sorcery is rooted in fire and blood. Dragons are fire made flesh. Add blood bonding, and a spell to make it work and you've hit the trifecta. 

True, I had forgotten that it was the other dragon that roasted him.

Perhaps Steffon Darklyn during the Dance would be a more apt example.

Archived