AncalagonTheBlack

Red Sister by Mark Lawrence

172 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2017 at 11:01 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Ignoring arguments of what is and isn't awesome and definition of grimdark, you got a link to that list or group or whatever? The only thing my search turns up is a website that hasn;t been updated in over a year.

Thankfully, we don't sweat the details too much there.

Grimdark is anything suitably gritty and dark among fantasy and sci-fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/grimdarkfiction/

To also give a sense where its politics lay, the group is celebrating Gay Pride right now.

Still reading so i've avoided the rest of the posts, am i supposed to be able to tell who any of the characters are, it seems like they are all completely forgettable and interchangeable.

10 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So, Lawrence is dropping some pretty strong hints via Facebook that we're going to be getting a new Jalan story...

Ooooooo, ahhhhhhhhh. I'm a fan. :D

23 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Still reading so i've avoided the rest of the posts, am i supposed to be able to tell who any of the characters are, it seems like they are all completely forgettable and interchangeable.

I guess the plus of the audiobook is that the narrator gives all the characters very distinct accents which maybe masks this?

21 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

So, Lawrence is dropping some pretty strong hints via Facebook that we're going to be getting a new Jalan story...

The fourth one, if not Jalan, sounds very much like him.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:39 PM, red snow said:

The fourth one, if not Jalan, sounds very much like him.

Indeed it does. :lol: 

20 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Indeed it does. :lol: 

I mean he came out and said we'd met the person in scenario #4 already. I cannot imagine who else it could be :D

I was weak the other day so I ordered the signed/numbered illustrated hardback omnibus of the Broken Empire Trilogy.  Had a Jorge short story in there.  I have yet to take time to read that, but I should.  I have put all novels on hold for now while waiting for Unholy Consult so I don't have to put something down mid-stream.  Now that I think about it, that's the perfect time to revisit Honorous Jorge.

5 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I mean he came out and said we'd met the person in scenario #4 already. I cannot imagine who else it could be :D

I like ot call a spade a spade :)

It says a lot for his writing/characterisation for it to seem like Jalan before the second clue pretty much sealed it.

Read that Jorg short story last night.  "No Second Troy"

Its set after King of Thorns and before Emperor of Thorns and details the conquest of a walled city in the middle of a river in Orlanth.  It was really good and everything still fit within the narrative without seeming gratuitous.

Finally got round to reading this. I love a magic school story so it worked for me. It was basically a (much better imo) version of Blood Song...

It did get a bit predictable in places- there's only so many ways you can subvert a magic school story- but there were some nice touches, like how

the obvious Malfoy/Ambrose figure turned out to be perfectly fine and normal, or how the Potions- sorry, poisons- master had a scary front but ended up being fairly reasonable and more of a comedy figure from the reader's perspective than anything.

Also: the world is great.