NFL Offseason: What's a Chris Collins Worth?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Not a big fan of our second round pick Juju Schuster. For god's sake draft an effing CB. We get lit in playoffs through the air year after year and we go with WR... Sure, extra offense is always good but with Brown, Bell and Bryant I'm okay with that. I know Bryant is a risk and all, but I just can't see how that merits skipping out on a CB in the first three rounds. 

As for James Conner, that's a cool ESPN story, and will surely merit some Sportscenter time, but I don't see that pushing us forward in the playoffs. That pick actually makes me even more sick than the second round pick. Running back? Really? Wtf?! 

I like the Watt pick, and that's it. Going to bed pissed off now.

ETA: And the Bungals drafted Mixon!!! I'll just keep my mouth shut on that one, heh.

ETA 2: Okay no I won't. Can only imagine Mexal and Nic's response if Pitt drafted him!! I say that in jest, mostly. Good for you guys. Looks like a fantastic team on paper. Should be a fun year.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And he's clearly been given one here. Doesn't mean anyone should forget what he did right away.

No, they shouldnt. It also doesnt need to be held over his head in every conversation about him. Ive found out how this forum works over the last five years. 95% percent of posters agreee on everything from politics to whatever, and it quite frankly gets a little boring. Reminds me of the safe spaces college student need so the can cry about Trump being the president. An 18 year old kid makes a mistake, again an atrocious one, and here we are e years kater talking about how bad a human he is. I saw the video, what about the woman that him first was she charged with assault? Is she any better? Lets just pat each other on the back so we can all feel so fucking righteous, huh? I know the skeletins are in each and every one of your closets also. Cut the guy a break, he seems to be trying to make amends and keep his nose clean. 

8 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

No, they shouldnt. It also doesnt need to be held over his head in every conversation about him. Ive found out how this forum works over the last five years. 95% percent of posters agreee on everything from politics to whatever, and it quite frankly gets a little boring. Reminds me of the safe spaces college student need so the can cry about Trump being the president. An 18 year old kid makes a mistake, again an atrocious one, and here we are e years kater talking about how bad a human he is. I saw the video, what about the woman that him first was she charged with assault? Is she any better? Lets just pat each other on the back so we can all feel so fucking righteous, huh? I know the skeletins are in each and every one of your closets also. Cut the guy a break, he seems to be trying to make amends and keep his nose clean. 

What was the worst thing that was said about him here? One poster, who is a huge fan of the team who drafted this player, expressed some distaste at his team picking a felon. Yes, this site can be a bit of a bubble at times, but I think you're kind of asking for a Safe Space here if you think no one should be critical of what this kid did. We believe in second chances, and this kid is clearly getting one here. Not sure we need to cut him a break. The Bengals just cut him a break.

34 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

What was the worst thing that was said about him here? One poster, who is a huge fan of the team who drafted this player, expressed some distaste at his team picking a felon. Yes, this site can be a bit of a bubble at times, but I think you're kind of asking for a Safe Space here if you think no one should be critical of what this kid did. We believe in second chances, and this kid is clearly getting one here. Not sure we need to cut him a break. The Bengals just cut him a break.

Well, maybe i just have a different worldview. One, where continually bashing an individual for a past mistake, when that miatake hasnt happened again, is a little over the top. And, i nelieve in a world with 2nd chances. This story is old, let it go. That is, until he would do it again. He's seemed remorseful about the situation and i say that says alot about his character also. Still, no one has brought up the fact that he was attacked first, and nothing happened to the lady who started the confrintation. Its a double standard. And no, im not condoning his actions. Just time to move on.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

And the Bengals pick Joe Mixon. Not thrilled. Most fans I've seen hate the Bengals right now. Hope he donates all his money to women abuse shelters.

Great offense though...

It's pretty split among the fandom from what I've seen. Personally, I'm fine with it. Kid made a terrible mistake years ago, but he's kept his nose clean since, and he seems genuinely embarrassed/ashamed of it when he talks about it. I think everyone deserves a second chance. I'm glad I got one after some really bad decisions as a teen. We're never shaking our bad boy rep anyway. Especially with Pacman's latest shenanigans. Mixon was the BPA, I'm glad they took him. Hopefully it lights a fire under Hill's underperforming ass.

6 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Still, no one has brought up the fact that he was attacked first, and nothing happened to the lady who started the confrintation. Its a double standard. And no, im not condoning his actions. Just time to move on.

Er what? That's really not a double standard. He follows her into a restaurant off the street (presumably after an argument), looks to be wanting to square up to her small friend she shoves him, not very hard by the look of it, in the chest and he knocks her out. I really hope you don't have a skeleton in your closet like that.

I'm a bit torn on things like this. People who have committed crimes do need second chances so they can get on with their lives but professional sports are built on fans cheering on the players for their teams etc and I can absolutely see why people wouldn't want to do that for somebody who's done something like this.

I can only imagine what we'd think of professional sports stars from the past if there had been cameras everywhere.

What he did was reprehensible, but I see nothing to indicate a pattern of behavior to cause concern going forward.  Is what he did really any worse than a DUI?  I'd say it's less serious in some ways, but society right now has a hierarchy of crimes and he has stepped onto the highest rung of that ladder.

6 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Well, maybe i just have a different worldview. One, where continually bashing an individual for a past mistake, when that miatake hasnt happened again, is a little over the top. And, i nelieve in a world with 2nd chances. This story is old, let it go. That is, until he would do it again. He's seemed remorseful about the situation and i say that says alot about his character also. Still, no one has brought up the fact that he was attacked first, and nothing happened to the lady who started the confrintation. Its a double standard. And no, im not condoning his actions. Just time to move on.

It depends on the 'mistake'.  I have no problem getting over a guy in a bar who retaliates against a woman who attacked him and shows nothing else in his record to make one think he's a serial abuser or violent person.  

Dog fighting and killing your own dogs.  Never got over that.  I will still cheer when that POS finally dies.

40 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I can only imagine what we'd think of professional sports stars from the past if there had been cameras everywhere.

What he did was reprehensible, but I see nothing to indicate a pattern of behavior to cause concern going forward.  Is what he did really any worse than a DUI?  I'd say it's less serious in some ways, but society right now has a hierarchy of crimes and he has stepped onto the highest rung of that ladder.

Right. Its just that i see people being condemned for life for a mistake they make as immature teenagers. Now, if a pattern of behavior presents itself, totally different story. Im juat tired of hearing about Mixon. It happened 3 years ago, and he kept his nose clean since, done what was asked of him. Its like some people act as if theyve never committed a mistake in their life. It pisses me off. Imagine it was you as a soon to be or a professional athlete and all your dirty laundry was being aired. Do you think the while story would be told? Or, just the mistake you made? Its the righteousness of so many that pisses me off.

11 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Right. Its just that i see people being condemned for life for a mistake they make as immature teenagers. Now, if a pattern of behavior presents itself, totally different story. Im juat tired of hearing about Mixon. It happened 3 years ago, and he kept his nose clean since, done what was asked of him. Its like some people act as if theyve never committed a mistake in their life. It pisses me off. Imagine it was you as a soon to be or a professional athlete and all your dirty laundry was being aired. Do you think the while story would be told? Or, just the mistake you made? Its the righteousness of so many that pisses me off.

I don't think people would care that I've gone 97 miles an hour passing some one in a 75 a few times, or called in sick to work once.  But I definitely get the point.  I'd be a fan of Rice coming back (another guy who has kept his nose clean and been nothing but contrite, and who I see as having done his time).

Mixon missed out on millions of dollars.  If you assume he was a first rounder, he lost something like 6 million.  If you assume top 20, he lost something like 9.5 million.  He lost a year of football.  He lost being able to enjoy his draft day, and tarnished his name.  I think he's reached the point where I say he's done his time for reactively and disproportionately responding to a woman shoving and slapping him.

The type I hate are the ones like Westbrook or Hardy that don't think they've done a damn thing wrong.  

The thing about the Rice situation that bugged me is that he got screwed because the commissioner was such a fucking moron and suspended him two games.  If they had done what was right in the first place, and suspended him for a full season, he probably could have come back afterwards and resumed playing, and people would have felt like he'd paid for his crime. Instead, the NFL had to blackball him to show that they were "serious" because they screwed up so badly disciplining him the first go around.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:16 PM, Jaime L said:

We really should focus more on how Indy's only gonna end up with one title despite having the #1 pick in the drafts with the 3 greatest can't miss prospects of all time. 

On 4/28/2017 at 11:50 AM, Fez said:

Who's the third? I saw that they had the #1 pick when Elway was drafted, but does that count if it wasn't Indianapolis, and they had to trade the pick away?

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, sperry said:

It happened 3 years ago. He was suspended for a year, and has stayed out of trouble for the past 3 years. He served his probation for misdemeanor battery (which is the appropriate charge for punching someone in a heat of the moment altercation at a bar), and he has reached a mutually acceptable financial settlement with the victim. It's a non-issue, he's not a serial abuser, he got into a bar fight on his 18th birthday and screwed up big time.

You are not entirely right in the context of what happened. It was not a bar fight. Two people entered a place and Mixon and his friends were out front hanging out. One of Mixons friends told the woman it was his birthday and she should have sex with him as a gift, not exactly something you say to a man and woman unless you are trying to start a fight. She and her friend went on past, think she made a comment telling them to f off or something. Mixon then came in after the guy trying to get him to fight. The guy wouldn't respond to Mixon and not threatening at all. Mixon at some point calls him gay and keeps after him, then the woman goes at Mixon, shoves him and he knocks her out.

Mixon was the aggressor, he chased after them, when the male wouldn't fight Mixon was amped up and looking for a fight so he chose to hit the woman, it was not a "bar fight".

Does this one act mean he shouldn't be able to have a life, of course not. Should it haunt him forever, hell no. Just don't marginalize it and make it look like something it wasn't.

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

You are not entirely right in the context of what happened. It was not a bar fight. Two people entered a place and Mixon and his friends were out front hanging out. One of Mixons friends told the woman it was his birthday and she should have sex with him as a gift, not exactly something you say to a man and woman unless you are trying to start a fight. She and her friend went on past, think she made a comment telling them to f off or something. Mixon then came in after the guy trying to get him to fight. The guy wouldn't respond to Mixon and not threatening at all. Mixon at some point calls him gay and keeps after him, then the woman goes at Mixon, shoves him and he knocks her out.

Mixon was the aggressor, he chased after them, when the male wouldn't fight Mixon was amped up and looking for a fight so he chose to hit the woman, it was not a "bar fight".

Does this one act mean he shouldn't be able to have a life, of course not. Should it haunt him forever, hell no. Just don't marginalize it and make it look like something it wasn't.

As long as we're trying to be as accurate as possible, you left out the racial slurs that the girl used towards Mixon. 

51 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Ignoring the fact that those are not established facts (that is the victim's account and is disputed by other witnesses), even if that's how it went down, that's a bar fight. Bar fights don't tend to start for good reasons. In fact, fighting over a girl is probably the #1 cause. Usually one person is being a shithead, and I have no doubt that Joe and his friends were being exactly that. The point is that it's something that happened late night at a bar and escalated over a span of a couple minutes. There was no premeditation or previous relationship between Joe and the victim. I've never maintained he was innocent. He fucked up bad, suffered serious consequences, and has had his name and reputation tarnished.

Archived