NFL Offseason: What's a Chris Collins Worth?

Manhole Eunuchsbane

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

You are not entirely right in the context of what happened. It was not a bar fight. Two people entered a place and Mixon and his friends were out front hanging out. One of Mixons friends told the woman it was his birthday and she should have sex with him as a gift, not exactly something you say to a man and woman unless you are trying to start a fight. She and her friend went on past, think she made a comment telling them to f off or something. Mixon then came in after the guy trying to get him to fight. The guy wouldn't respond to Mixon and not threatening at all. Mixon at some point calls him gay and keeps after him, then the woman goes at Mixon, shoves him and he knocks her out.

Mixon was the aggressor, he chased after them, when the male wouldn't fight Mixon was amped up and looking for a fight so he chose to hit the woman, it was not a "bar fight".

Does this one act mean he shouldn't be able to have a life, of course not. Should it haunt him forever, hell no. Just don't marginalize it and make it look like something it wasn't.

You also left out the part where she slaps him in the face IMMEDIATELY preceding the punch.  Entirely disproportionate and in no way an excuse, but she escalates it from words to physical. I don't think he ever had a conscious thought to hit the girl. 

1 hour ago, JonSnow4President said:

You also left out the part where she slaps him in the face IMMEDIATELY preceding the punch.  Entirely disproportionate and in no way an excuse, but she escalates it from words to physical. I don't think he ever had a conscious thought to hit the girl. 

Well, if he didn't, he sure as hell didn't hesitate before he hit her back.

30 minutes ago, briantw said:

Well, if he didn't, he sure as hell didn't hesitate before he hit her back.

That's kind of required for something to be reflexive.  If you're in my face hitting me, I'm sure as hell not going to think about swinging at you back if we're already to that point (Although we're both men and probably mature/smart enough to avoid the situation entirely).  

This is attributed to an anonymous NFL coach, but it pretty accurately reflects my take on it. 

“I see both sides of this. Nobody really wants to go to a game and cheer for a guy who broke some woman’s jaw like that. I get the women’s groups who protest and want the guy out of the league. When we take guys like that in the second round, it shows we don’t care. You think the Bengals are cutting a second-round pick anytime soon? Hell, no.

“But there’s one part I worry about. How are guys supposed to heal themselves? He did this as an 18-year-old. You do some terrible thing as an 18-year-old and your dream is gone just like that? He didn’t kill somebody. He didn’t do something sadistic and planned out. He didn’t do something that went on for months or years. He snapped when he got shoved. She was wrong and then he went over-the-top wrong. I just have a hard time saying he never gets another chance, that’s it, throw him out. I don’t think that’s forgiveness.”

On 4/30/2017 at 9:48 AM, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Who's the third? I saw that they had the #1 pick when Elway was drafted, but does that count if it wasn't Indianapolis, and they had to trade the pick away?

They moved to Indy a year later. Elway would've spent his whole career in Indy if he wasn't convinced the Irsays weren't garbage owners. 

4 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

Seriously, that's where you take it, and by bringing it up you are making it an excuse. Kind of like saying, no offense but.......                        

He was the aggressor who pursued them. Let's not be silly about what is ok and what isn't. Mixon knew exactly what he was doing. He was absolutely looking for a fight and when the man he was after wouldn't engage him she was there.

To me the only issue out of that is that she should have been charged with assault as well.

Once again, if he makes good choices going forward then this will not/should not define who he is. He just has to do what's right going forward and learn from his mistake. I did a lot of crap when I was growing up but owned up to it and learned from it. That's what matters going forward.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Seriously, that's where you take it, and by bringing it up you are making it an excuse. Kind of like saying, no offense but.......                      

It's more the misrepresentation caused by "when the male wouldn't fight Mixon was amped up and looking for a fight so he chose to hit the woman" as if it was a premediated, planned act. 

Shooting a man because he stole your girl is different than shooting a man because he's actively stealing (ie kidnapping) your daughter.  Or for something where there's less of a right and wrong, breaking a guy's jaw climbing out of bed after sleeping with your wife is different from breaking a guy's jaw 12 hours after he slept with your wife.  

While circumstances don't necessarily excuse otherwise bad behavior, they do change the moral severity (for lack of my ability to remember a better term). 

Archived