NBA 2017: Playoffs? Playoffs?!

Relic

18 minutes ago, Relic said:

nah wasnt aimed at you. Our resident hater is Manhole.  And damn, Rondo going out might be exactly what the Celtics need to turn this thing around.

I am a LeBron hater for sure, but I don't think that hate extends to disrespecting his abilities. I'd certainly like to see him drop off, but I'd have to agree with Maith that he's still among the best 2-3 players in the league. I get annoyed with his passive-aggressive running of the team and his hyperbolic self-promotion moreso than anything else.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-lebron-james-biggest-sporting-event-ever-20141030-story.html

/Biggest game ever? Please.

If MCW plays more than 28 minutes and we lose, I will vomit. Well, I won't, but I'll sort of want to. Jerian Grant showed flashes of being a nice shooter to hide on offense while Butler and Wade hold the ball, but he is young and Thomas would go hard at him. I expect a lot of MCW simply for his long arms, and completely infuriating offense.

I have never liked Rondo since that crazy epic 2009 Bulls Celtics series, but he sure controlled the first two games. I feel like tonight is gonna be an emotional Celtics victory. Just hope we can pull off game 4 and still win this series. Losing after going up 2-0 in Boston would be a very 2017 Bulls kind of thing to do, though.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

but I'd have to agree with Maith that he's still among the best 2-3 players in the league.

From my perspective, LeBron is a top 5 greatest EVER. And the first guy who's career I've followed form start to finish. It's been an absolute pleasure watching him form a purely basketball perspective (not taking his personality into account, because, well, i don't give a fuck). 

1 minute ago, Relic said:

From my perspective, LeBron is a top 5 greatest EVER. And the first guy who's career I've followed form start to finish. It's been an absolute pleasure watching him form a purely basketball perspective (not taking his personality into account, because, well, i don't give a fuck). 

Yeah, I have no issue with that. I'd probably go one better and put him top 3-4. 

8 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Losing after going up 2-0 in Boston would be a very 2017 Bulls kind of thing to do, though.

It really would.  Somehow I feel like the most fitting would be to somehow go 3-0 in Boston, 0-3 in Chicago, and then lose game 7.  I'm not trying to be mean, I'm totally rooting for the Bulls.  But losing Rondo makes me very uncomfortable for your boys, in spite of the 2-0 lead. 

10 minutes ago, Relic said:

Did Relic just retire LeBron? 

19 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I have not seen Mr. Bauer post here in a number of months, but his legacy does indeed live on in this thread. Much like Bradley Beal himself. ;)

He hasn't been seen since someone figured out that he was lifting entire sections of IGN articles and passing them off as his own thoughts.

Speaking of which, how did the zombification begin? I remember he said it looked like Beal had a season ending injury, but I can't recall if he came back in the same game or the follow game.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I get annoyed with his... hyperbolic self-promotion moreso than anything else.

Coming back to this point, can you remember the last athlete that was crowned The King before he played a single professional game, and then actually lived up to that ridiculous bit of marketing whilst not beating up his girlfriend, getting into a drunken brawl, punching a team mate, gambling on his own games, or crashing his car into a school bus?

It's a very short list of people. In fact it's a list with only one name. So, homeboy gets to be a bit cocky if he wants when it comes to basketball, me thinks. 

17 minutes ago, Relic said:

Nah,  by the time he's done he might have the number 2 spot. 

He's certainly the second best player in the modern era.

I've said this before but I have no idea how you rank the guys that predate Magic and Bird. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

too soon

edit - also i don't see why the Celtics would do this. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He hasn't been seen since someone figured out that he was lifting entire sections of IGN articles and passing them off as his own thoughts.

Speaking of which, how did the zombification begin? I remember he said it looked like Beal had a season ending injury, but I can't recall if he came back in the same game or the follow game.

I believe it was the season before last, in the playoffs. Beal had left the game with some sort of minor injury (a sprain or a strain or something?) and Jack asked if his season was over, as he was like to do. I believe he came back in the very next game.

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

LeBron coming to life! I just had a family argument with my nephews about not counting out the King. They seem to think he's washed up... I told them that at this point in his career, it about one thing only, championships. He's not going to go balls to the wall for 82 games. He's going to coast and turn it on in the playoffs. People forget the next level play he can turn on when he wants. I don't, I won't count him out.

I don't get how anyone can watch the Finals last year and think that LeBron is washed up.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't know why but i feel like that was me. 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

Coming back to this point, can you remember the last athlete that was crowned The King before he played a single professional game, and then actually lived up to that ridiculous bit of marketing whilst not beating up his girlfriend, getting into a drunken brawl, punching a team mate, gambling on his own games, or crashing his car into a school bus?

It's a very short list of people. In fact it's a list with only one name. So, homeboy gets to be a bit cocky if he wants when it comes to basketball, me thinks. 

Yeah, I'm picking nits for sure. He appears to be a standup guy in most respects. That said, Biggest Game Ever for a home opener? That's getting high off the smell of your own farts. 

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

40 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I believe it was the season before last, in the playoffs. Beal had left the game with some sort of minor injury (a sprain or a strain or something?) and Jack asked if his season was over, as he was like to do. I believe he came back in the very next game.

It's actually worse than that.  It was game 1 of the Wizards 2015 second round series against the Hawks, and Beal twisted his ankle, and JB said:

Beal out for the playoffs. Wow.

Which is a pretty awful thing to speculate on.  Beal went to the locker room, got his ankle taped, and came back about 5 minutes later.  Then John Wall broke his wrist later that same game (but finished game like a boss).  Jaime and I were feeling salty about Beal and Wall both getting hurt in the same game, so a few days later when JB gave us yet another of his rather useless prognostications:

It's over Cavs are going to ECF.

I responded with:

Now that Bradley Beal is out for the season, no one can stand in their way.

and Jamie added:

And because the Warriors got knocked out in 3.

RIP Bradley Beal.

And the legend of zombie Bradley Beal was made.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

It's actually worse than that.  It was game 1 of the Wizards 2015 second round series against the Hawks, and Beal twisted his ankle, and JB said:

Which is a pretty awful thing to speculate on.  Beal went to the locker room, got his ankle taped, and came back about 5 minutes later.  Then John Wall broke his wrist later that same game (but finished game like a boss).  Jaime and I were feeling salty about Beal and Wall both getting hurt in the same game, so a few days later when JB gave us yet another of his rather useless prognostications:

I responded with:

and Jamie added:

CLASSIC. 

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I responded with:

and Jamie added:

Epic! 

Archived