NBA 2017: Playoffs? Playoffs?!

Relic

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

It's actually worse than that.  It was game 1 of the Wizards 2015 second round series against the Hawks, and Beal twisted his ankle, and JB said:

Which is a pretty awful thing to speculate on.  Beal went to the locker room, got his ankle taped, and came back about 5 minutes later.  Then John Wall broke his wrist later that same game (but finished game like a boss).  Jaime and I were feeling salty about Beal and Wall both getting hurt in the same game, so a few days later when JB gave us yet another of his rather useless prognostications:

I responded with:

and Jamie added:

And the legend of zombie Bradley Beal was made.

Nice find, Maith. Was fun to revisit the simpler times of the NBA thread back when Bradley Beal was dying for our sins and Relic was sobbing into Boris Diaw's moobs.

56 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Nice find, Maith. Was fun to revisit the simpler times of the NBA thread back when Bradley Beal was dying for our sins and Relic was sobbing into Boris Diaw's moobs.

One thing that's funny about the 2015 playoffs was that it was the complete exception to the rule "the NBA playoffs are cruel to the young".  This saying is actually remarkably accurate, because virtually all great players (except Bill Russell) had to go through a period of painful defeats before they could achieve postseason success. 

That was actually my one big concern about the 2015 Warriors.  They were awesome in the regular season, consistently defeating even the best teams, with talent and depth.  But they were also undeniably young, and it seemed quite possible that somehow they just wouldn't be able to put it together.  That the Spurs or the Clippers or Cavaliers would get tough with them and they wouldn't know how to respond.  Instead, the NBA seemed to be conspiring to help them.  The Spurs lost in the first round, and the Clippers inexplicably lost to the Rockets in the second round, in spite of the Rockets being less talented and losing their starting point guard.  Then they face Cleveland with a hobbled Irving and no Kevin Love.  The stars truly aligned for them in 2015.

It was only in 2016 that they had to go through the meat grinder of the playoffs, and they faced pressure they never did in 2015.  And in the end, they collapsed.  I'm fairly sure the 2015 squad would have buckled if under similar strain, and quite possibly in the WCF. 

But now it's 2017, and every one of these Warriors has been battle tested in the NBA Finals.  They'll be harder to stop this time. 

57 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Don't forget Manhole coming out of the closet as a bandwagon Warriors fan!

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Don't forget Manhole coming out of the closet as a bandwagon Warriors fan!

Hear! Hear! I more or less copped to that right off the jump. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But now it's 2017, and every one of these Warriors has been battle tested in the NBA Finals.  They'll be harder to stop this time. 

Well, we know that no one is going to knock them off in 3 games anyway.

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Losing after going up 2-0 in Boston would be a very 2017 Bulls kind of thing to do, though.

Exactly what I was thinking. This team has been a tease for years now and they love to toy with our emotions.

Rondo was not only dominating both sides of the ball, but him being out gives Celtics some kind of hope they desperately needed. Isaiah might go nuts tonight.

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:
10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I think Lebron is less dominant than he was four years ago, but that only means he's "one of the three best players in the NBA" instead of "obviously the best player in the NBA".  When he turns it on, he is still Lebron, Destroyer of Worlds, but I don't think he can stay at that level as long as he used to. 

He doesn't really need help to beat the Pacers, since Indiana is a one man team with Paul George and Lebron is better than George.  But he's going to need the rest of the Cavaliers to step up at some point in the playoffs. 

Agree, on all accounts. But, I think why my nephews see him as washes up it because they're 22 and 20, KD fans. LeBron has been in the league since they was 7-8. They forget he came straight out of high school and that (I believe) as far as a teammate and leader he is just now reaching his full potential. Sure, he isn't the explosive player they were used to as youngin's. But, his basketball IQ, his freakishly athletic abilities, and arguably one of the smartest Bball minds to ever play the game, he is far from washed up. Yea, He's got miles on him, but his game has adjusted, yet his numbers have remained consistent. It's hard to explain to these youngin because of there disdain that many younger people had with MJ in his prime. And, make no mistake, LeBron is in his prime.

7 hours ago, Relic said:

Coming back to this point, can you remember the last athlete that was crowned The King before he played a single professional game, and then actually lived up to that ridiculous bit of marketing whilst not beating up his girlfriend, getting into a drunken brawl, punching a team mate, gambling on his own games, or crashing his car into a school bus?

It's a very short list of people. In fact it's a list with only one name. So, homeboy gets to be a bit cocky if he wants when it comes to basketball, me thinks. 

In the NHL it seems to happen pretty smoothly. Almost all Next Big Things turn out to be legit, and stay mostly scandal free.

10 hours ago, James Arryn said:

In the NHL it seems to happen pretty smoothly. Almost all Next Big Things turn out to be legit, and stay mostly scandal free.

But we wouldn't know because no one watches hockey. :lol: 

19 hours ago, briantw said:

I don't get how anyone can watch the Finals last year and think that LeBron is washed up.

On my nephew's part...purely wishful thinking. One is a KD fan, the other a Wizards fan (Only guy in the family who actually has a NBA team, the rest of us follow players. Here in WV, we have no allegiance to NBA teams). I think they see Russel and Harden getting all the attention this year and just fail to remember who LeBron is. His numbers are really no different than any previous year, matter of fact He's been pretty consistent the last 8-10 Yeats in that regard, 26-8-8. They just see Cavs drop to the 2 seed and they wasn't dominate in the regular season, and assume He's washed up. 

Thing is, my nephews are 21 and 20. So, LeBron has been in the league since they were 8ish. The one said he was 38 years old and almost done. I said no, he's 32, and Jordan won 3 more ships after that age.

ETA: during this conversation, the both argued with me about how much better the league is now compared to the 80's and 90's, talent wise. I just laughed, because I really don't think that I could convince them anyway.

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

Blake Griffin is out for the playoffs. The Clippers must be cursed.

This is the same guy who hasn't been able to post up Joe fucking Johnson in three games so far. Clips might be better without him on the floor. Such a strange strange path for a guy who could have been a top 5 player. And WAS as recently as 2 years ago.  

1 hour ago, Relic said:

This is the same guy who hasn't been able to post up Joe fucking Johnson in three games so far. Clips might be better without him on the floor. Such a strange strange path for a guy who could have been a top 5 player. And WAS as recently as 2 years ago.  

Yea, in my mind Blake has been a disappointment. Though, I will say that I never considered him top 5 at anytime, maybe top 10 in the league at one point. There are just too many holes in his game. He's not consistent enough offensively to be a solid 2 option on a team. 

I think they trade you mentioned, with him going to OKC, would do wonders for his career. I think Russel would compliment his game greatly and I think he needs a change. No matter what, I don't think the Big 3 in Clipperville is ever going to make it to a final. Griffin and his presence and a couple legit shooters, a stretch 4 and OKC can conceivably be a WC contender. Blake doesn't need the ball in his hands to be productive and that would fit nicely with Westbrook. A trash guy, rim protector and the ability to draw out big men for spacing, somewhat. I think that trade needs to happen.

4 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

On my nephew's part...purely wishful thinking. One is a KD fan, the other a Wizards fan (Only guy in the family who actually has a NBA team, the rest of us follow players. Here in WV, we have no allegiance to NBA teams). I think they see Russel and Harden getting all the attention this year and just fail to remember who LeBron is. His numbers are really no different than any previous year, matter of fact He's been pretty consistent the last 8-10 Yeats in that regard, 26-8-8. They just see Cavs drop to the 2 seed and they wasn't dominate in the regular season, and assume He's washed up. 

Thing is, my nephews are 21 and 20. So, LeBron has been in the league since they were 8ish. The one said he was 38 years old and almost done. I said no, he's 32, and Jordan won 3 more ships after that age.

ETA: during this conversation, the both argued with me about how much better the league is now compared to the 80's and 90's, talent wise. I just laughed, because I really don't think that I could convince them anyway.

I think the league overall probably is the most talented now that it ever has been. That said, if Jordan was playing in his prime today, he'd still end up GOAT. The only difference is that he might end up with less rings; unless he was willing to join/create a super team. But his stats and dominance on the court would be unchanged.

And LeBron is not even close to washed up yet. He's just embraced the Spurs' model of conserving energy for the playoffs.

Archived