NBA 2017: Playoffs? Playoffs?!

Relic

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Each wins between 35-40 games. Houston is terrible defensively, like every Mike D'Antoni team since time began. We just can ignore this fact because of how transcendent offensively Harden makes them. 

Alright. I guess that just goes to show how so many people should be so... Wrong :P

34 minutes ago, Relic said:

Alright. I guess that just goes to show how so many people should be so... Wrong :P

Relic, I get how watching the last 20 years of Knicks PGs could warp one's understanding of the position so I don't judge you for this. :P 

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Relic, I get how watching the last 20 years of Knicks PGs could warp one's understanding of the position so I don't judge you for this. :P 

Also,  too soon. 

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

It's so bizarre watching Sperry make the case OKC's supporting cast is now shit after making the case they were more talented than Golden State last year. 

Yeah, it's totally bizarre that removing a top 10 player of all time and a high end stretch 4 would make a difference on a team's overall talent level. Other than that, great point, though!

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

Yeah, it's totally bizarre that removing a top 10 player of all time and a high end stretch 4 would make a difference on a team's overall talent level. Other than that, great point, though!

Someone do me a favor and pull all of Sperry's posts from last year's playoffs blowing Steven Adams, Enes Kanter et. al. 

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Sperry's Halloween costume last year edition...

Adams%20stache%20kid_zps2tdvieyq.jpg

Best kid at a stadium, hands down, except for maybe kid Ben McAdoo. 

5 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Someone do me a favor and pull all of Sperry's posts from last year's playoffs blowing Steven Adams, Enes Kanter et. al. 

I was very high on Adams, he didn't translate it over to this season. I think it's a nagging back injury, but he just hasn't been great this year. I've never liked Kanter more than a scoring punch off the bench, and I've always hated his contract.

8 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Everyone thought the Thunder won that Ibaka for Oladipo trade. I mean the effect is the same for floor spacing. They get a legit 2 to space the floor and Roberson just slides down a spot. They just lost some defensive length. 

I mean Sam Presti didn't become an idiot over night just because Durant decided to leave. Yes, OKC needs more shooting...but also yes Westbrook's style of play does not maximize the talent on the roster. 

ETA: Edited because I have Sam Hinkie on the brain 

He's not an idiot. He got the rug pulled out from under him at the last minute when Durant left. He did win the Ibaka trade. The Thunder got a really talented young starter at a position of need plus a lottery pick. The lottery pick had an atrocious year, and Oladipo has been good, but hasn't taken that next leap. The idea at the time of the trade was Durant would be playing more 4 and protecting the rim, which he does for GS now. Plus, had Durant resigned, they couldn't have afforded to keep Ibaka when he became a FA this season anyway. That was an excellent trade.

36 minutes ago, sperry said:

I was very high on Adams, he didn't translate it over to this season. I think it's a nagging back injury, but he just hasn't been great this year. I've never liked Kanter more than a scoring punch off the bench, and I've always hated his contract.

Fair enough. 

And I will say I don't think they can play Kanter in this series. As big of an offensive plus he is, he's somehow an even bigger defensive minus. 

10 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Super obtuse? Dude, you realize more than half of the people who write about the NBA disagree with this contention you're submitting as obvious. 

I'd probably give the MVP to Westbrook because he defined the season, but memo to all Westbrook truthers: slow your roll. :P 

The narrative is the thing. Westbrook's defined the season because of that story being preferred. Reverse their popularity and the story would be about a 30 ppg shooting guard playing the point for the first time in his life and arguably becoming the best of a stacked point guard class and leading a bunch of role players to historic output. That's a pretty sexy story itself. Has anything like it ever happene before? I know MJ tried it for a while one season but they dropped it, mostly because he basically kept playing the same way. Harden, meanwhile, pretty seriously changed how he played and dominated. But, largely, a non-story.

Pro basketball reference has a formula for determining MVP voting. It's not a formula of merit, but rather they have taken all prior winners within the context of their seasons and determined how/why people are chosen.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.html

So, by previously established measurements, Harden is easily the MVP, almost twice as likely as Westbrook to win. Durant in fact ought to be second, still well back. But we all know that historical patterns won't matter here, and IMO if we're honest we all know why.

Archived