NBA 2017: Playoffs? Playoffs?!

Relic

It's so bizarre watching Sperry make the case OKC's supporting cast is now shit after making the case they were more talented than Golden State last year. 

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

If you want to. I'm not holding you back. Sure, when will the Knicks ever pull their head out of their ass? Oh. We've had this conversation before, haven't we?

Never quite at this level tho =P 

Whatever, it's just like all you hear about these days. harden vs Westbrook. Its so oooold. 

Anyway, what happens if you replace them both with avg players at their position? Rockets would be a much better team than the Thunder. I don't think anyone would argue that. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

It's so bizarre watching Sperry make the case OKC's supporting cast is now shit after making the case they were more talented than Golden State last year. 

One does not simply remove Waiters Island from one's team without losing 1000000000 units of brilliance. 

Not ot mention that having Durant on your squad will make other players better. Even Ibaka created space for dudes to ball harder/better. So yeah, over all, the Thunder's supporting cast is MUCH worse for those two changes. 

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I'm sure what the Thunder need is the NBA equivalent of Sam Bradford.  Who would that even be?  Greg Oden?

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

Never quite at this level tho =P 

Whatever, it's just like all you hear about these days. harden vs Westbrook. Its so oooold. 

Anyway, what happens if you replace them both with avg players at their position? Rockets would be a much better team than the Thunder. I don't think anyone would argue that. 

I gotcha. I just think people are downplaying the triple-double, and it boggles me as to why. If he didn't end up with it, the narrative would be how hard it is to average it over the course of the year. 

26 minutes ago, Relic said:

Not ot mention that having Durant on your squad will make other players better. Even Ibaka created space for dudes to ball harder/better. So yeah, over all, the Thunder's supporting cast is MUCH worse for those two changes. 

Everyone thought the Thunder won that Ibaka for Oladipo trade. I mean the effect is the same for floor spacing. They get a legit 2 to space the floor and Roberson just slides down a spot. They just lost some defensive length. 

I mean Sam Presti didn't become an idiot over night just because Durant decided to leave. Yes, OKC needs more shooting...but also yes Westbrook's style of play does not maximize the talent on the roster. 

ETA: Edited because I have Sam Hinkie on the brain 

I mean the effect is the same for floor spacing.

No, it's not. Ibaka could pull the opposing C or PF away from the paint. VO is a guard, and doesnt have the same ability to stretch opposing big men. 

I'm not arguing that OKC is total and utter shit without Westbrook, but it's def not a 40 win team if you replace him with say....Jrue Holiday. The Rockets, otoh, could easily be a .500 team with an avg guard slotting into Dantoni's system. Dude made jeremy Lin into a superstar for a month, he can do the same for almost any PG not called Stephan Marbury. 

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

No, it's not. Ibaka could pull the opposing C or PF away from the paint.

I'm not arguing that OKC is total and utter shit without Westbrook, but it's def not a 40 win team if you replace him with say....Jrue Holiday. The Rockets, otoh, could easily be a .500 team with an avg guard slotting into Dantoni's system. Dude made jeremy Lin into a superstar for a month, he can do the same for almost anyone not called Stephan Marbury. 

Wait, the same Mike D'Antoni who averaged like 28 wins a year with the Knicks and Lakers when he didn't have an in his prime Nash or Harden?! 

Yea, I love the Rockets style of play. And, your correct @Relic, the Rockets would be a .500 team if you replaced Harden with a average PG. They would still be a adequate offensive team.

Which takes me back to the Knicks. Why does Phil feel that the Triangle is the system they should run? Is it to frustrate Melo? It doesn't work without the right type of team and it certainly isn't the way the league is playing. I know it's his baby and all, I just don't see the insistent upon running it. 

Wait, the same Mike D'Antoni who averaged like 28 wins a year with the Knicks and Lakers when he didn't have an in his prime Nash or Harden?! 

Come on man. He needs the right sort of team to work his magic. Uptempo, no lumbering big men, with ballers who can drive and shoot. Don't know why you are being so super obtuse about this. Honestly, tell me what happens when you replace both Westbrook and Harden with avg PGs? 

I know it's his baby and all, I just don't see the insistent upon running it. 

Becuase he's a lazy, half senile, arrogant prick who doesn't feel he needs to change a thing about himself by virtue of having coached Michael Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe. 

Just now, Relic said:

Becuase he's a lazy, half senile, arrogant prick who doesn't feel he needs to change a thing about himself by virtue of having coached Michael Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe. 

So you're cool with Phil running the Knicks, lol? I honestly hate seeing the Knicks mired in mediocrity. Im glad Porzingis had the balls to skip out on his exit interviews. And, even if Phil was gone, they'd still be run by someone else who's a joke. Don't see what would turn that franchise around, other than Dolan selling them.

So you're cool with Phil running the Knicks, lol? I honestly hate seeing the Knicks mired in mediocrity. Im glad Porzingis had the balls to skip out on his exit interviews. And, even if Phil was gone, they'd still be run by someone else who's a joke. Don't see what would turn that franchise around, other than Dolan selling them.

#FireDolan

9 minutes ago, Relic said:

Come on man. He needs the right sort of team to work his magic. Uptempo, no lumbering big men, that can drive and shoot. Don't know why you are being so super obtuse about this. Honestly, tell me what happens when you replace both Westbrook and Harden with avg PGs? 

Super obtuse? Dude, you realize more than half of the people who write about the NBA disagree with this contention you're submitting as obvious. 

I'd probably give the MVP to Westbrook because he defined the season, but memo to all Westbrook truthers: slow your roll. :P 

Super obtuse? Dude, you realize more than half of the people who write about the NBA disagree with this contention you're submitting as obvious. 

I'd probably give the MVP to Westbrook because he defined the season, but memo to all Westbrook truthers: slow your roll. :P 

Just...answer my question and I'll leave this matter in peace (unless you fuckers keep talking about it =P ). 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

Just...answer my question and I'll leave this matter in peace (unless you fuckers keep talking about it =P ). 

Each wins between 35-40 games. Houston is terrible defensively, like every Mike D'Antoni team since time began. We just can ignore this fact because of how transcendent offensively Harden makes them. 

Archived