Random thought re: Lothor Brune and Mya Stone

Good Guy Garlan

So as we know, there's gonna be a 

Spoiler

tourney at the Gates of the Moon, with the eight finalists earning a spot on Sweetrobin's order of Winged Knights.

LF being LF, he's probably going to rig the entire thing so Harry wins and names Sansa as Queen of Love and Beauty. 

Well, here's where I think everything will go wrong. I don't think LF knows how infatuated Brune is with Mya Stone. He's probably gonna order Brune to throw a tilt against Harry the Heir, but Brune's gonna disobey his orders, defeat Harry, win the tourney, and declare Mya Stone as Queen of Love and Beauty in front of every noble of the Vale. 

Just a random thought. 

ETA: 

You know, I just thought of something else: 

What if it's not Brune, but Lyn Corbray who defeats Harry against LF's instructions? As we saw in the chapter Lyn 

Spoiler

is either a future Academy Award winner or he's genuinely pissed at LF for finding his brother a fertile young wife.

So, unless LF has a huge gift in mind for Lyn to compensate for that, I could see him violently defeating Harry out of spite. And he is vile and reckless enough to do that. 

Then I could see LF trying to salvage the situation by at least getting Brune to win the tourney and naming Sansa QoLaB, but then he'd choose Mya instead. 

Sure, LF would still be mad as hell, but that would be a minor transgression compared to beating Harry. 

Also, I think Brune would defeat Mychel Redfort on the lists (no way Brune's gonna lose to Mya's ex), and LF wouldn't like that because I imagine he'd want Mychel to win a spot in the 

Spoiler

Winged Knights

so LF could keep him close as a hostage to prevent Lord Redfort and Bronze Yohn Royce from planning any more mischief. 

Wow. That is really a good one. This would really cause chaos for Littlefinger because he may not have a plan ready to counteract this. This would also embarrass Harry the Heir pretty bad and make him feel really embarrassed in front of "Alayne", who he was snobby to earlier. 

9 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

Wow. That is really a good one. This would really cause chaos for Littlefinger because he may not have a plan ready to counteract this. This would also embarrass Harry the Heir pretty bad and make him feel really embarrassed in front of "Alayne", who he was snobby to earlier. 

Yep. And who knows, maybe Myranda Royce will be there to comfort and care for the battered and humiliated Harry, just like Jeyne comforted Robb. And we know how that one turned out...

12 minutes ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

Brine better be careful. LF is his bread and butter. 

3 minutes ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Lothar Brune is not reckless enough to do that, especially since he doesn't need to win the tourney to eventually bang Mya. Sorry, don't mean to be overly negative but the characters traits just aren't there for something that drastic.

Love can make men do all sorts of stupid shit. (See: Jorah Mormont).

Well, Mya doesn't really give him the time of day, so he might need a grand gesture like that. 

In any case, even if he doesn't go that far, I could see him defeating the crap out of Mychel Redfort, at least. And that might be enough to drive a wedge between Brune and LF, since I suspect LF wants Mychel to be one of the 

Spoiler

Winged Knights

so he can keep him close as a hostage to prevent Lord Redfort and Bronze Yohn from plotting any mischief. 

I would love something like this.

If Harry was very injured, or if he just pitched a fit, a lot of chaos could follow which would allow those who know about Sansa to act.

It also plays on one of LF's big flaws which might end up being his downfall: he oversimplifies people's motivations, and because he doesn't change himself (still obsessed with Cat), he seems to have difficulty accounting for change in others.

5 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

I would love something like this.

If Harry was very injured, or if he just pitched a fit, a lot of chaos could follow which would allow those who know about Sansa to act.

It also plays on one of LF's big flaws which might end up being his downfall: he oversimplifies people's motivations, and because he doesn't change himself (still obsessed with Cat), he seems to have difficulty accounting for change in others.

And LF doesn't seem to know about Brune and Mya. That seems more like "girly" gossip and he probably deems that unimportant. 

I'm not sure how this would upend LF's plans. Harry is still the heir no matter who wins the tourney, and even if he dies on the lists, Robin becomes the heir and can still marry Sansa. No matter what, some male gets the Vale and would probably have no problem marrying Sansa in order to grab the North as well.

I'd have to look up the family tree, but LF himself has got to be in line to inherit the Eyrie at some point, no?

I guess I'm more interested to see if LF's tourney attracts any attention from outside of the Vale. By this I mean, I wonder if certain characters such as the Hound, Jaime, Brienne or the Blackfish just happen to show up at this affair. Anything is possible. After all, George has mentioned that storylines will be tied together. There are a lot of loose strings that need to be tied and I feel that this tournament is the perfect opportunity for old acquaintances to reunite.

If LF intends to kill Robert soon and succeeds, and Harry is killed by Luthor, then who's next? There are other Arryns around the Vale, but the text acts like there's no heir left at all after Robert and Harry so it would be a free-for-all. Never understood this.

27 minutes ago, Ser Something said:

What if it all goes to shit, and there is a genuine accident and Harry dies in the tourney?? I think that would be the most fun. Something ever so simple that couldn't be foreseen that completely wrecks Littlefinger's plan.

It'd be fun, but a bit anticlimactic, IMO.

22 minutes ago, cgrav said:

I'm not sure how this would upend LF's plans. Harry is still the heir no matter who wins the tourney, and even if he dies on the lists, Robin becomes the heir and can still marry Sansa. No matter what, some male gets the Vale and would probably have no problem marrying Sansa in order to grab the North as well.

I'd have to look up the family tree, but LF himself has got to be in line to inherit the Eyrie at some point, no?

It'd be more of a PR/optics disaster than anything. And well, a humiliating defeat in a tourney was enough to end the second Blackfyre rebellion for good. 

25 minutes ago, Ser Kinslayer said:

I guess I'm more interested to see if LF's tourney attracts any attention from outside of the Vale. By this I mean, I wonder if certain characters such as the Hound, Jaime, Brienne or the Blackfish just happen to show up at this affair. Anything is possible. After all, George has mentioned that storylines will be tied together. There are a lot of loose strings that need to be tied and I feel that this tournament is the perfect opportunity for old acquaintances to reunite.

I 100% think the Blackfish will show up as a mystery knight. GRRM tried to mislead us with that line about the BF reappearing with some outlaws, but I'm on to him! It makes sense for him to go to the Vale anyway, he was the Knight of the Bloody Gate for years, he must have friends in there, especially if he heard about the Lords Declarant revolting.

21 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

If LF intends to kill Robert soon and succeeds, and Harry is killed by Luthor, then who's next? There are other Arryns around the Vale, but the text acts like there's no heir left at all after Robert and Harry so it would be a free-for-all. Never understood this.

Some people think Timett of the Mountain Clans is a secret Arryn.

54 minutes ago, Ser Kinslayer said:

Jaime has a lot of potential to stir things up in a few different ways.

His burning Cersei’s letter was kind of a resignation letter for the KG, though I think he has yet to personally process the implications of it. There’s now precedent for the removing of or resignation of a KG  member who can no longer perform his duties because the Lannisters removed Barristan for that reason.

Jaime then automatically becomes Lord. If he goes to the Vale as Lord, then he can claim domain over Sansa as a Lannister and as her brother-in-law. I would guess he'd do so while working for Stoneheart.

A different way he can stir things up: he can’t annul her marriage formally, but Jaime can testify that the marriage was forced on both the part of Tyrion and Sansa, that Tyrion told him that the marriage was never consummated, and Jaime as Lord can refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of the marriage on these grounds. Weakening the grounds of her marriage to Tyrion would make Sansa vulnerable, so I rather doubt he'd do something like this.

7 minutes ago, zandru said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would we assume that Mya Stone, a bastard, would even be attending this tourney?

Tourneys aren't just for highborn people. Remember the tourney back in aGoT where Renly was in full rockstar mode, throwing his broken helm at the plebs and whatnot. 

Plus, Mya is not just any random bastard. She's an important/known member of the Arryn household, and she's also in charge of the horses. 

35 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Tourneys aren't just for highborn people. Remember the tourney back in aGoT where Renly was in full rockstar mode, throwing his broken helm at the plebs and whatnot. 

Well, if Mya is down with the other plebes, not in the stands, it'll be hard to ride over and acknowledge her, and undoubtedly a major faux pas in tournament etiquette - even worse than when Rhaegar didn't automatically crown his own wife. Well, in retrospect, I guess the entire thread is about the effects of some kind of serious breach of protocol/disruption of clever schemes that could possibly occur. I'm guessing everyone is right in that - that this thing won't turn out exactly as plotted by Baelish. It's just a matter of HOW.

37 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

she's also in charge of the horses. 

I thought they were mules? Maybe I need to re-read.

16 minutes ago, zandru said:

I thought they were mules? Maybe I need to re-read.

They are mules. I am sure someone else has charge of the stables/Master of horse at the Gates of the Moon. But it not like she is a nobody.

7 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

So as we know, there's gonna be a 

Reveal hidden contents

tourney at the Gates of the Moon, with the eight finalists earning a spot on Sweetrobin's order of Winged Knights.

LF being LF, he's probably going to rig the entire thing so Harry wins and names Sansa as Queen of Love and Beauty. 

Well, here's where I think everything will go wrong. I don't think LF knows how infatuated Brune is with Mya Stone. He's probably gonna order Brune to throw a tilt against Harry the Heir, but Brune's gonna disobey his orders, defeat Harry, win the tourney, and declare Mya Stone as Queen of Love and Beauty in front of every noble of the Vale. 

Just a random thought. 

I love this! 

It might even work to Sansa's advantage because Harry would not be happy that Brune beat him. He'd make a point of telling Sansa that clearly Brune is blind because if he'd won he'd have crowned her QoLaB.

Archived