Yo was that a dragon?!?

Renly's Banana

It had been a while since I read Bran's CoK chapters, and I cannot believe this never jumped out at me before. I also haven't seen much concrete debate on this online. 

During Bran's last chapter (also the very last chapter of the book), we start it off inside of Summer. He's walking around the woods outside of a burnt Winterfell when we get this really weird throwaway line. 

He smelled at the drifting smoke. Men, many men, many horses, and fire fire fire. No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man-claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars.  

To us, that's a clear description of a dragon flying over Winterfell. But we have to take some things into consideration. 
Whenever Bran is seeing the world through Summer's eyes, we usually get very vague and weird metaphors. Like swords and armor being "man-claws and hardskin", for example. He also thinks of chains as metal snakes. But in this scenario, I can't think of anything else that thing flying could be. 

We know it's not some metaphor for smoke, because even in that same paragraph we are told that Summer can recognize and distinguish what smoke is. It's not the red comet in the sky, because that seems to have passed sometime during the middle of the book. The comet also would not appear only to shortly disappear again; it'd be a constant fixture. 

The holes in this dragon theory are obvious though. If the fires in Winterfell somehow hatched some hidden dragon egg, then why is it already big enough to be flying around and breathing fire? Why does no one else in our story ever mention seeing or hearing about a dragon in the north? Why does Bran not seem to remember seeing this or mention it ever again?  

I take it for the most obvious explanation I can think of: Foreshadowing a Dragon emerging from a destroyed Winterfell (reborn) in Jon Snow. Who will engulf the stars (an army with peircing blue eyes in the night) in flames. But I'm an optimist

Edit: I believe the dragon riders will be Dany, Arya and Jon; hence him having the flames

I can fill in one hole in the theory. The dragon hatched before. The fires only drove it out of its hiding place. Much like fire, dragons need oxygen. If its den filled with smoke, or started falling in due to structural failure, it would hightail it elsewhere.

Bran probably doesn't think about it again cause it's been pushed from his mind by things like monsters, wildlings, and learning how to fight the Others. But there's every reason to think he'll remember it when the time is right, whether it's an actual dragon or as AGETDFG suggested, a symbol for Jon's Targaryen heritage.

31 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

He smelled at the drifting smoke. Men, many men, many horses, and fire fire fire. No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man-claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars. 

No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff o man-claws and hardskin.

Direwolves are wolves.  Animals have an instinctive fear of fire.  People build fires to keep wild animals away.  It is easy to  understand why Summer would fear fire.  Man-claws is how a wolf might describe edged weapons made of steel.  Hardskin is steel armor.  Steel kills wolves easily.  Flesh-claws are no match for man-claws.  Fire however ups the notch and Summer's fear is natural. 

The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame.

The smoke hurt the wolf's eyes.  The great winged snake is smoke writhing and dancing upwards.  Summer is seeing a steady stream of smoke rising from the burning castle and he would put it in terms of a frame of reference that he might know, a snake.  A snake going up, like flying. But the vision didn't stop here. 

Let's continue with "whose roar was a river of flame".  The rising smoke is obviously not belching flame.  It's too specific not to be a dragon.  I can come up with two possible explanations for this:

• Direwolves instinctively know what dragons are.  The presence of fire and the rising smoke brought on fear.  Dragons are at the top of the hierarchy and direwolves would be wary of them.  All those elements made Summer think of dragons. 
  • Summer actually saw a vision of the future.  Dragons will come to Winterfell.  The vision could have been from the ancient past and it was passed down through the instinct. Dragons came and burned Winterfell in the past.

31 minutes ago, Renly's Banana said:

It had been a while since I read Bran's CoK chapters, and I cannot believe this never jumped out at me before. I also haven't seen much concrete debate on this online. 

During Bran's last chapter (also the very last chapter of the book), we start it off inside of Summer. He's walking around the woods outside of a burnt Winterfell when we get this really weird throwaway line. 

To us, that's a clear description of a dragon flying over Winterfell. But we have to take some things into consideration. 
Whenever Bran is seeing the world through Summer's eyes, we usually get very vague and weird metaphors. Like swords and armor being "man-claws and hardskin", for example. He also thinks of chains as metal snakes. But in this scenario, I can't think of anything else that thing flying could be. 

We know it's not some metaphor for smoke, because even in that same paragraph we are told that Summer can recognize and distinguish what smoke is. It's not the red comet in the sky, because that seems to have passed sometime during the middle of the book. The comet also would not appear only to shortly disappear again; it'd be a constant fixture. 

The holes in this dragon theory are obvious though. If the fires in Winterfell somehow hatched some hidden dragon egg, then why is it already big enough to be flying around and breathing fire? Why does no one else in our story ever mention seeing or hearing about a dragon in the north? Why does Bran not seem to remember seeing this or mention it ever again?  

3 hours ago, AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy said:

I take it for the most obvious explanation I can think of: Foreshadowing a Dragon emerging from a destroyed Winterfell (reborn) in Jon Snow. Who will engulf the stars (an army with peircing blue eyes in the night) in flames. But I'm an optimist

Edit: I believe the dragon riders will be Dany, Arya and Jon; hence him having the flames

That's a metaphorical and symbolic take on it, though. What Summer saw was a literal flying something. 

I also don't buy the idea that Summer had a vision. At no other point do we see any warged animal having visions or seeing weird stuff that's not there.

3 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff o man-claws and hardskin.

Direwolves are wolves.  Animals have an instinctive fear of fire.  People build fires to keep wild animals away.  It is easy to  understand why Summer would fear fire.  Man-claws is how a wolf might describe edged weapons made of steel.  Hardskin is steel armor.  Steel kills wolves easily.  Flesh-claws are no match for man-claws.  Fire however ups the notch and Summer's fear is natural. 

The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame.

The smoke hurt the wolf's eyes.  The great winged snake is smoke writhing and dancing upwards.  Summer is seeing a steady stream of smoke rising from the burning castle and he would put it in terms of a frame of reference that he might know, a snake.  A snake going up, like flying. But the vision didn't stop here. 

Let's continue with "whose roar was a river of flame".  The rising smoke is obviously not belching flame.  It's too specific not to be a dragon.  I can come up with two possible explanations for this:

• Direwolves instinctively know what dragons are.  The presence of fire and the rising smoke brought on fear.  Dragons are at the top of the hierarchy and direwolves would be wary of them.  All those elements made Summer think of dragons. 
  • Summer actually saw a vision of the future.  Dragons will come to Winterfell.  The vision could have been from the ancient past and it was passed down through the instinct. Dragons came and burned Winterfell in the past.

How would they? And if that were the case, wouldn't summer have thought "dragon" instead of "snake?"

Between the time Winterfell was built and when Aegon I showed up, there were no dragons in the North. 

There is no evidence anywhere in the text of bond animals seeing the future. They see what's going on around them as it happens. 

5 hours ago, AryaGonnaEatThatDeadFatGuy said:

Are there instances of Bran's experience through Summer's eyes that are/could be future events other than this? I'm not currently looking through the text, but it seems they sometimes happen sequentially out of order, but within the context of the story that's just because we see what Summer sees before we read about it through other characters' eyes for narrative reasons.

Could be mistaken. So if you have examples handy please share!

It is mentioned many times that Winterfell is positioned on hot springs. Which points to volcanic activity somewhere below the castle. Unless it's something else heating the water, like a hibernating dragon. Someone pointed out that not all the pools in winterfell were hot. Not sure where that is in the books, but it would indicate a very localized hot spot. Again a dragon lair would serve very well for that. Question is why? All theories point to Starks being the Ice in the song of Ice and Fire. Of course if there is/was a dragon under Winterfell, the hot springs would stop if it left. I don't recall any mention of hot springs after Bran left the ruin. There are many instances of snow building up everywhere around the castle during the Bolton occupation. 

A secret pact between ancient Starks and Valyrians? If the long night is not stopped doesn't it threaten everyone eventually?

57 minutes ago, jthurman14 said:

Of course if there is/was a dragon under Winterfell, the hot springs would stop if it left. I don't recall any mention of hot springs after Bran left the ruin.

There's still people using the hot springs during the Bolton occupation.

As for what Summer saw, there's two explanations:

1. He saw a dragon,

2. He saw something that looked like a dragon, i.e. a long thin cloud of smoke and flame, possibly with an attendant explosion.

Both are equally likely to me, but only the former possibility is remotely interesting. And besides, GRRM has written those "wolf POV" parts very carefully - cliffs for walls, hardskin for armour, etc - so if there wasn't a dragon, either he made an extraordinary goof, or he's being extremely cheeky and shining us on.

As for the logistical difficulties with there being a dragon in Winterfell, well, those are a problem. But dragons under Winterfell don't cause as many logical problems as assuming that we can't trust Summer's testimony.

Apply the ol' Sherlock Holmes test to it - once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth. Now, this is fiction, so nothing's impossible, strictly speaking. But within this fictional universe, we have never gotten so much as a hint that animals can see the future, or have visions. And the idea that it was foreshadowing - well, that's not how foreshadowing works. Meanwhile, when it comes to dragons, there's so much we don't know that as unlikely as it seems, we can't actually rule anything out: there well could have been a dragon hibernating under Winterfell, or a fresh clutch of eggs that hatched, or anything, really.

This is of course a pretty monstrous, game-changing, earth-shattering revelation - there was a dragon at Winterfell, there are definitely more than three dragons alive in the world, there's a dragon on the loose somewhere in Westeros - but it's one nobody seems to pay much mind. (Including me.)

To those who wonder how a dragon could roam undetected in the North, or anywhere, I point you to Dany's last chapter in ADWD: not only has nobody been able to find Drogon, but left to his own devices he seems to just find some shelter and make occasional forays outside for food. In a depopulated North that was sparsely populated to begin with, I think it's eminently possible that there's a dragon still out there. Even more possible if it went beyond the wall, or to Skagos, or... Christ, it could've gone anywhere.

Here's another thing that this impacts: Bran's vision (or was it Dany's?) of Asshai, "where dragons stir beneath the sunrise". Plainly that was a true vision: already we've dispensed with the idea that Dany's are the only dragons, so what's a few more? And it raises more questions: if Dany hatched dragons, and there were dragons in Asshai, and one (or more) at Winterfell, who's to say there aren't even more floating around? Maybe this second Dance of the Dragons is going to be a whole lot more interesting than we thought.

(And I also note that we haven't seen the Iron Islands since someone there blew a dragonhorn - maybe the dragon's gone to Great Wyk and wrought havoc, but word hasn't got out yet?)

8 hours ago, jthurman14 said:

It is mentioned many times that Winterfell is positioned on hot springs. Which points to volcanic activity somewhere below the castle. Unless it's something else heating the water, like a hibernating dragon. Someone pointed out that not all the pools in winterfell were hot. Not sure where that is in the books, but it would indicate a very localized hot spot. Again a dragon lair would serve very well for that. Question is why? All theories point to Starks being the Ice in the song of Ice and Fire. Of course if there is/was a dragon under Winterfell, the hot springs would stop if it left. I don't recall any mention of hot springs after Bran left the ruin. There are many instances of snow building up everywhere around the castle during the Bolton occupation. 

A secret pact between ancient Starks and Valyrians? If the long night is not stopped doesn't it threaten everyone eventually?

I'm going to piggyback on this comment and suggest instead that rather than a dragon being the cause of the hot springs, the hot springs are what make a dragon hatching and living there possible. There was supposedly a Targaryen dragon who laid a clutch of eggs at Winterfell. And there's also the possibility of Ned having brought home a dragon egg that Lyanna had for her baby.

You wouldn't be getting references. The structural damage would be so great that likely the walls which had the hot steam piping through them would no longer have that advantage. The glass gardens would almost certainly have been destroyed. The hot springs would probably still exist, but aren't warming the castle any more. Brilliant move, Ramsay. 

The Valyrian empire wasn't around during the last Long Night, but there was a Pact of Ice and Fire between House Stark and House Targaryen. The main item was that a Targ princess would marry into House Stark (which never happened) but there might have been some other details that we haven't learned about yet.

And yes, the Long Night eventually threatens everyone. So it needs to be stopped in Westeros, like it was last time.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I'm going to piggyback on this comment and suggest instead that rather than a dragon being the cause of the hot springs, the hot springs are what make a dragon hatching and living there possible. There was supposedly a Targaryen dragon who laid a clutch of eggs at Winterfell. And there's also the possibility of Ned having brought home a dragon egg that Lyanna had for her baby.

I think this little bit of info is the most relevant to the theory that it was a dragon. But we have to be careful with it. 
This was supposedly claimed by Mushroom, the Westerosi equivalent of the National Enquirer. You have to take his stuff with several pounds of salt. But we do know that Jace did stop for a time in Winterfell with his dragon. If he did leave a clutch of eggs there, it would not be one of Mushroom's more wild stories. But this actually isn't the only time there were dragons in Winterfell. 
When King Jaeherys went north with his wife, he brought six dragons to Winterfell. Jaeherys was also very close to the north and seemed to be close to the Starks and the Night's Watch. There's no record of him ever leaving any eggs there, but if anyone did, it would have been him. 

This theory about the Starks making some sort of pact with the Valyrians or Targaryens is also interesting. It would certainly explain Rhaegar's almost obsessive fascination with prophecies and marrying a Stark. But the thing that keeps popping back into my head is one of Dany's visions in the House of the Undying -- "A great stone beast takes wing from a smoking tower, breathing shadows."
If that's something that's already happened in our story, it definitely sounds like what Summer saw. 

"He smelled at the drifting smoke. Men, many men, many horses, and fire fire fire. No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man-claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars."  

Are dragons described as winged snakes anywhere else in the novels? because if not, the wolf saw a giant gout of smoke and flame rising up the the sky 

It looks like a dragon, fly like a dragon, breath like a dragon and roar like a dragon. It must have been a dragon. I cannot imagine what else Summer saw.

The interpretation of the vision is however more difficult. This is one of the things I stopped thinking about, because I don't have any possible explanation for that.

6 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

"He smelled at the drifting smoke. Men, many men, many horses, and fire fire fire. No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man-claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars."  

Are dragons described as winged snakes anywhere else in the novels? because if not, the wolf saw a giant gout of smoke and flame rising up the the sky 

Are swords called man-claws elsewhere?

On 4/5/2017 at 8:49 PM, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Summer saw a "winged snake" which is an apt description of a dragon.  The story is about the conflict between ice and fire.  I believe the Starks will oppose the Targaryen restoration and Winterfell will be burned once again.  This time, for good.  They have rebelled once already.  This will make it twice against a Targaryen.   It's time to give the Starks the same medicine that Butterwell got.  

As much as I would like it to be a northern/ice/blue/??? dragon, alas, I do not think it was. George's editor once said that he writes his clues in a process of hint-hint-reveal. Arya has an incredibly similar experience as well, down to the scenery and what is burning, smells, both are in a "tunnel" in the ground, both have family swords with them, etc. I don't remember if Sansa does?, or, maybe it is still to come?. Anyway, I think these are clues to some sort of dragon awakening amidst smoke and salt, and fire, and blood, and tragedy.

A Clash of Kings - Arya IV

An instant later came a crack as loud as thunder, and the bottom of the wagon came ripping loose in an explosion of splinters.
Arya rolled headfirst into the tunnel and dropped five feet. She got dirt in her mouth but she didn't care, the taste was fine, the taste was mud and water and worms and life. Under the earth the air was cool and dark. Above was nothing but blood and roaring red and choking smoke and the screams of dying horses. She moved her belt around so Needle would not be in her way, and began to crawl. A dozen feet down the tunnel she heard the sound, like the roar of some monstrous beast, and a cloud of hot smoke and black dust came billowing up behind her, smelling of hell. Arya held her breath and kissed the mud on the floor of the tunnel and cried. For whom, she could not say.

A Clash of Kings - Bran VII

He padded over dry needles and brown leaves, to the edge of the wood where the pines grew thin. Beyond the open fields he could see the great piles of man-rock stark against the swirling flames. The wind blew hot and rich with the smell of blood and burnt meat, so strong he began to slaver.
Yet as one smell drew them onward, others warned them back. He sniffed at the drifting smoke. Men, many men, many horses, and fire, fire, fire. No smell was more dangerous, not even the hard cold smell of iron, the stuff of man-claws and hardskin. The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone. Behind the cliffs tall fires were eating up the stars.
All through the night the fires crackled, and once there was a great roar and a crash that made the earth jump under his feet. Dogs barked and whined and horses screamed in terror. Howls shuddered through the night; the howls of the man-pack, wails of fear and wild shouts, laughter and screams. No beast was as noisy as man. He pricked up his ears and listened, and his brother growled at every sound. They prowled under the trees as a piney wind blew ashes and embers through the sky. In time the flames began to dwindle, and then they were gone. The sun rose grey and smoky that morning.

~~~maybe this for Sansa?~~~

A Clash of Kings - Sansa IV

The southern sky was black with smoke. It rose swirling off a hundred distant fires, its sooty fingers smudging out the stars. Across the Blackwater Rush, a line of flame burned nightly from horizon to horizon, while on this side the Imp had fired the whole riverfront: docks and warehouses, homes and brothels, everything outside the city walls.
Even in the Red Keep, the air tasted of ashes. When Sansa found Ser Dontos in the quiet of the godswood, he asked if she'd been crying. "It's only from the smoke," she lied. "It looks as though half the kingswood is burning."
"Lord Stannis wants to smoke out the Imp's savages." Dontos swayed as he spoke, one hand on the trunk of a chestnut tree. A wine stain discolored the red-and-yellow motley of his tunic. "They kill his scouts and raid his baggage train. And the wildlings have been lighting fires too. The Imp told the queen that Stannis had better train his horses to eat ash, since he would find no blade of grass. I heard him say so. I hear all sorts of things as a fool that I never heard when I was a knight. They talk as though I am not there, and"—he leaned close, breathing his winey breath right in her face—"the Spider pays in gold for any little trifle. I think Moon Boy has been his for years."
Turning back to the stair, Sansa climbed. The smoke blotted out the stars and the thin crescent of moon, so the roof was dark and thick with shadows. Yet from here she could see everything: the Red Keep's tall towers and great cornerforts, the maze of city streets beyond, to south and west the river running black, the bay to the east, the columns of smoke and cinders, and fires, fires everywhere. Soldiers crawled over the city walls like ants with torches, and crowded the hoardings that had sprouted from the ramparts. Down by the Mud Gate, outlined against the drifting smoke, she could make out the vague shape of the three huge catapults, the biggest anyone had ever seen, overtopping the walls by a good twenty feet. Yet none of it made her feel less fearful. A stab went through her, so sharp that Sansa sobbed and clutched at her belly. She might have fallen, but a shadow moved suddenly, and strong fingers grabbed her arm and steadied her.

15 hours ago, Renly's Banana said:

I think this little bit of info is the most relevant to the theory that it was a dragon. But we have to be careful with it. 
This was supposedly claimed by Mushroom, the Westerosi equivalent of the National Enquirer. You have to take his stuff with several pounds of salt. But we do know that Jace did stop for a time in Winterfell with his dragon. If he did leave a clutch of eggs there, it would not be one of Mushroom's more wild stories. But this actually isn't the only time there were dragons in Winterfell. 
When King Jaeherys went north with his wife, he brought six dragons to Winterfell. Jaeherys was also very close to the north and seemed to be close to the Starks and the Night's Watch. There's no record of him ever leaving any eggs there, but if anyone did, it would have been him. 

This theory about the Starks making some sort of pact with the Valyrians or Targaryens is also interesting. It would certainly explain Rhaegar's almost obsessive fascination with prophecies and marrying a Stark. But the thing that keeps popping back into my head is one of Dany's visions in the House of the Undying -- "A great stone beast takes wing from a smoking tower, breathing shadows."
If that's something that's already happened in our story, it definitely sounds like what Summer saw. 

According to the maester who wrote the world book, in-universe, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily true. Mushroom might be right about far more than people gave him credit for.

That's assuming anyone knew where the eggs had been laid. We don't know if dragons will lay their eggs anywhere like chickens (and even they will go to a nesting box if one is available), or if they go off on their own to a quite and secluded location for that most precious ritual of reproduction. 

Rhaegar's obsession with the prophecies is already explained by everyone thinking (and probably telling him since birth) that he was going to be TDtwP. If you were told all your life that you were a legendary hero destined to save the world, you might want to read up on the prophecies about yourself.  We don't know that he thought about marrying a Stark. If Dany's HotU vision is accurate, he didn't think of Lyanna or any other woman beyond Elia until after Aegon was born and they were told Elia couldn't have any more children. He needed another child, but we don't know whether he cared about trueborn vs bastard.

It's a great stone beast breathing "shadow fire." Sounds more like a Blackfyre or doom reference to me. It's unlikely that shadow fire refers to smoke, with the word smoking already in the phrase.

12 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Not quite that simple, I'm afraid. The only other PsOV that we know describe dragons are all human, so they know what the dragons are. Of course a direwolf, or any other non-dragon animal might not (especially since dragons haven't been around for the last 100+ years). What we need is for Dany to get to Westeros and Nymeria or Shaggy to see her dragons so we can find out if they use the same terms for them.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Not quite that simple, I'm afraid. The only other PsOV that we know describe dragons are all human, so they know what the dragons are. Of course a direwolf, or any other non-dragon animal might not (especially since dragons haven't been around for the last 100+ years). What we need is for Dany to get to Westeros and Nymeria or Shaggy to see her dragons so we can find out if they use the same terms for them.

I get it. And anything is possible in fantasy novels. But it is still summer in westeros, and people will be out, farming, ranching, fishing, preparing for winter, not to mention making war with lots of men roaming around doing war things, and so far, there is not a single dragon sighting in the north, so unless the "dragon" flew immediately to another warm place to go back into hibernation, it is extremely unlikely that there is a dragon in westeros 

1 minute ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

I get it. And anything is possible in fantasy novels. But it is still summer in westeros, and people will be out, farming, ranching, fishing, preparing for winter, not to mention making war with lots of men roaming around doing war things, and so far, there is not a single dragon sighting in the north, so unless the "dragon" flew immediately to another warm place to go back into hibernation, it is extremely unlikely that there is a dragon in westeros 

I think you're underestimating how sparsely populated the North is. Plus, if some hick reckons he saw a dragon flying thru the sky, who's going to believe him?

But I have had one of my characteristic changes of heart on this, to whit: if Summer really saw a dragon, then we don't have a good explanation for why Bran doesn't think there's a dragon on the loose.

Archived