How Will The Dragons Know?

Iron Mother

From this point forward, I need to understand how the dragons will know whom to attack and whom to leave alone.  Before anyone says Dany has special magic or spells over them to direct who they attack, we have never seen any evidence of that. 

We have seen a logical explanation, though, from Eurine Greyjoy that his Horn of Hell can "bind dragons to my will".  But, I still don't get how Eurine gets the power to control the dragon when others are blowing the Horn. 

Dragon's can't read ship banners nor banners on the ground........ I have only ever seen the command "Dracarys" used by Dany.  If it's one on one, MAYBE I could accept if Dany gets Drogon to attack a certain group of ships, the other dragons will follow.  But what happens when they kill all the enemies and then start burning her own fleet/people?  Or if there are multiple people involved.

I never am one for demanding over-explained stuff, but a hint must at least be addressed.

As for Euron: At this point we have no confirmation whatsoever that the horn will actually work, let alone that the horn will cause the dragons to follow him if he does not blow the horn. Moqorro claims in ADWD that the dragons obey the master of the horn not the one who blows it and that it must be claimed with blood. Whether this is true or just a trick to get Victarion blow the horn, we do not know. The show did not include the horns in their story. So, maybe it does not work at all.

As for Danny: Neither in the books, nor in the Show it is shown how exactly she controlls them. And I guess, we will have to live with the "Valyrian Blood" excuse. 

In the books and the series Dany a number of times states that the Dragons have to be trained, which she has started by teaching them the term Dracarys.  However this is partly where Tyrio comes in.  Tyrion has had a lifelong fascination with Dragons and has read just about anything that he can get his hands on.  We also know, primarily from the books, that the Dragons do have a special bond with certain people, especially those who have some Targaryen Blood.  In the books one of Dany's sell sword commanders is Brown Ben Plumm, the dragons like him and when Dany mentions it he points out that his family has a story that somewhere in his past he has Targaryen Blood. The Dragons, again both in the series and in the show, bond with their riders and also are intelligent creatures ( Tyrion I ), and I forget if it's in the books or the show, points out that some "experts" believe that dragons are more intelligent than men.  And some of that bonding does involve magic.

Now in the show it is obvious that Dany has a special bond with all her dragons but she is closest to Drogon.  Drogon, by the time of the Battle with the Slavers outside Meereen, as well as the other two, are obviously in tune with Dany enough to concentrate on the "flagship" of the slavers fleet.  But the precise method isn't described.  Now I can hear all the haters of the show losing their minds over this.  But here's the thing, the show isn't a day by day account of everything that happens in the lives of these characters, for that matter neither are the books.  Just because we don't see Dany eat for a while doesn't mean that she is starving to death.  I love how some folks look on the fact tat we haven't seen Sansa urinate as a "hole in the show".  D&D have always said that they wanted to produce about 70 hours to tell the story of ASOIAF.  They are going to go over that, certainly 73 hours and with a few episodes that ran long maybe they'll be closer to 75.  But even if it was 7500 hours some things would be lost.  And some things in fiction require the willful suspension of disbelief.  And we have to accept, again if it's in the books or the series that some things happen off stage.  So it is I assume with the training of the Dragons and their precise interaction with humans, especially with Dany and Tyrion.

I am now worried my belief must be suspended in that screen-time was spent "proving" Tyrion is Dragon #3 because he went into the crypt to unchain them and they purred, yet Quentyn (Dorne have wed with Targaryens for centuries yet no similar boast for Lannisters) and Quentyn was burnt up.

As long as the Hollywood Sign lives, so does suspended disbelief.

sidenote: the movie "2012" (2012) has just ceased to exist because it portrays the Hollywood Sign blown away by tornadoes.

Archived