Weirwood trees in Storm's End

I don't understand why Melisandre cut down weirwood trees in Storm's End.

• Weirwood trees has no any importance for Southern people.
  • News that Melisandre cut down trees didn't reach to North (if I remember correctly). Even if people in the North heard it they would do nothing.
  • After she went to the North with Stannis she didn't try to do it again.

If Melisandre felt the power of weirwood tress just as he felt Varamyr's power new question is that: Does Melisandre think weirwood trees as power of darkness lord?

The answer to that is very simple. There are only 2 gods. R'hllor and the Great other.
Any other gods are false gods and need to be destroyed.

In the North at Castle Black, there are no weirwood trees, only North of the wall (which is the domain of the Great Other). She has the Freefolk recognise R'Hllor as their god, which they do because they don't want to die and end up wighted. But in reality, the freefolk is still following their own gods and ways.

Also, when Stannis is offering to legitimise Jon and give him Winterfell, he is required to burn the Godswood and also follow R'Hllor.

Mel might think that the weirwood tree are a power of the dark lord, but mainly because they aren't powers of R'Hllor and since no other gods exist but these 2, they must be related to the Great Other.

I would also dispute that weirwoods have NO importance to people outside the north.  While the worship of the old gods has largely fallen away in favor of the seven among, I imagine there are still some houses that trace their ancestry back to the first men that would still respect their weirwoods even if they no longer particularly worship them.  In the same way that the Royce's still wear their runed bronze armor, there would be houses vestigial old god references throughout the 7 kingdoms.  It is a fair bet that the further down the social ladder the more pronounced the old ways could go in certain pockets.  For example, Jenny of Oldstones and her woods witch hint that there were still strong pockets of old god centered folkways in various places.  Finally, it is entirely plausible that Melisandre was aware that greenseers could use/were using weirwoods to see what was going on south of the wall and wanted to blind them.

8 hours ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

Also, when Stannis is offering to legitimise Jon and give him Winterfell, he is required to burn the Godswood and also follow R'Hllor.

I do wonder if there was any mention of the new Lord of Karhold having to do the same. Although since Stannis wasn't around for that union, it may be Jon kept Mel from pushing for it.

9 hours ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

• News that Melisandre cut down trees didn't reach to North (if I remember correctly). Even if people in the North heard it they would do nothing.

If Melisandre felt the power of weirwood tress just as he felt Varamyr's power new question is that: Does Melisandre think weirwood trees as power of darkness lord?

1: Mel seeks to burn the images of any god but her's
2: The news did not make it north, but the people of the north, and the free folk would get very angry if the literal representation of their gods were destroyed. Just like how they are very angry at what happened to the ned and his children 
3: She did not try it, but she threatened it. she is also experiencing strange things involving her magic as she gets closer to the wall, and that seems to be throwing her off 

On 4/6/2017 at 4:31 AM, Brandon Baratheon said:

ummmmmmm, she didn't cut it down. Somehow she convinced Stannis to burn the godswood. That is the way Davos remembers it.:dunno:

On 06/04/2017 at 10:31 AM, Brandon Baratheon said:

And the temples of Palmyra held no religious significance for the modern Syrians, and the Buddhas of Gandhara held no religious significance for the modern Afghans.

Religious fanatics don't exactly need a valid or rational reasons to destroy something that is, however remotely, connected to other religions.

On 4/6/2017 at 3:41 AM, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

The answer to that is very simple. There are only 2 gods. R'hllor and the Great other.
Any other gods are false gods and need to be destroyed.

In the North at Castle Black, there are no weirwood trees, only North of the wall (which is the domain of the Great Other). She has the Freefolk recognise R'Hllor as their god, which they do because they don't want to die and end up wighted. But in reality, the freefolk is still following their own gods and ways.

Mel might think that the weirwood tree are a power of the dark lord, but mainly because they aren't powers of R'Hllor and since no other gods exist but these 2, they must be related to the Great Other.

Wait what? Where is that? He definitely doesn't mention that in ADWD. 

“You could bring the north to me. Your father’s bannermen would rally to the son of Eddard Stark. Even Lord Too-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse. White Harbor would give me a ready source of supply and a secure base to which I could retreat at need. It is not too late to amend your folly, Snow. Take a knee and swear that bastard sword to me, and rise as Jon Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North.”

If it's in ASOS I don't remember that.

It was Melisandre that said it.

"Jon." Melisandre was so close he could feel the warmth of her breathe. "R'hollor is the only true god. A vow sworn to a tree has no more power than one sworn to your shoes. Open your heart and let the light of the Lord come in. Burn these weirwoods, and accept Winterfell as a gift of the Lord of Light."

- ASOS Jon XI

On 4/6/2017 at 9:08 AM, Aporetic said:

I would also dispute that weirwoods have NO importance to people outside the north.  While the worship of the old gods has largely fallen away in favor of the seven among, I imagine there are still some houses that trace their ancestry back to the first men that would still respect their weirwoods even if they no longer particularly worship them.  In the same way that the Royce's still wear their runed bronze armor, there would be houses vestigial old god references throughout the 7 kingdoms.  It is a fair bet that the further down the social ladder the more pronounced the old ways could go in certain pockets.  For example, Jenny of Oldstones and her woods witch hint that there were still strong pockets of old god centered folkways in various places.  Finally, it is entirely plausible that Melisandre was aware that greenseers could use/were using weirwoods to see what was going on south of the wall and wanted to blind them.

Don't forget the Blackwoods of Raventree Hall. They have a weirwood on their arms, and keep the dead weirwood, that they claim the Brackens poisoned, in their godswood.

10 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Don't forget the Blackwoods of Raventree Hall. They have a weirwood on their arms, and keep the dead weirwood, that they claim the Brackens poisoned, in their godswood.

Well they worship old gods, so its not strange.

2 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Yes but they are one of the few Sothron houses that do. That's the strange part.

True, bit offtopic but do we know any other house south of the neck who worships old gods.

2 minutes ago, Rise said:

True, bit offtopic but do we know any other house south of the neck who worships old gods.

Officially no, but some of the Vale houses are possible. Royce is probably the best bet there. The fact that there were weirwoods at Storm's End may indicate the Baratheons didn't completely convert to the Seven until more recently. 

4 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Officially no, but some of the Vale houses are possible. Royce is probably the best bet there. The fact that there were weirwoods at Storm's End may indicate the Baratheons didn't completely convert to the Seven until more recently. 

Can't remember was it in clash of kings or game of thrones where Catelyn tells how several old castles have godswood. So it might have been sort of tradition not to cut godswood even after convertion. Even old town have weirwood in island where marwyn lives and oldtown was center of faith before kings landing.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Plenty of other castles have a weirwood south of the neck. CL, Highgarden, RR, and SE like you mentioned all had/have one. 

2 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Plenty of other castles have a weirwood south of the neck. CL, Highgarden, RR, and SE like you mentioned all had/have one. 

Having weirwoods does not necessarily indicate worshiping the Old Gods though. The only Southron house that we know still follows the OG is Blackwood.

On 4/6/2017 at 4:31 AM, Brandon Baratheon said:

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me"

She's a priestess of R'hllor and he's a jealous god.  As to why she didn't try it again in the North?  Give her time.  It's just a matter of time before she starts burning those cursed trees.

Archived