Smaller Things Even Less Worthy of a Thread of Their Own

Datepalm

A random tale of cultural miscommunication. Paraphrased.

I and six other Americans were sitting around the office one day when our British liaison, Tom came in. Being the nice guy he is, Tom asked if any of us would care for some Digestives. "No thanks", we all replied, "We don't need any". A short while later we asked him, "Tom. Why did you come into work and offer us digestives?".

Tom: I just thought you all would like I snack. 

Us: What? How would medicine for stomach issues be a snack?

Tom: No. Digestives. They're tasty biscuits.

Us: Oh. Then yes, we'll try the biscuits you brought.

(Tom goes to get the Digestives, as we wait for him to come back with biscuits. He eventually comes back with cookies.)

Hey, we got there eventually.

Digestives has always seemed like an oddly medically descriptive name for a snack food.  Like if we called chewing gum masticates, or hard candies were salivators or something.

12 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

It's my birthday today, and previously I have been on school/university holidays, but not this year. This year I have to work. Growing up sucks.

Happy birthday, SENP... May your adulthood be as happy as your childhood :D

There is that part of adulthood when you are both at University and on work... I enjoy those myself :D 

These days, I am getting headaches with buying the new phone. Hamlet had easier debate than I do between Android and iphone.

20 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

It's my birthday today, and previously I have been on school/university holidays, but not this year. This year I have to work. Growing up sucks.

Happy birthday nevertheless! :cheers: Remember, work hours are limited and there is still late afternoon/evening for you!

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Greetings birthday pal. I think we discovered this last year, happy birthday to us! :cheers: 

Have had a toothache all week, started as a mild ache and now is near unbearable, even on painkillers. I went to the dentist on Tuesday for x-rays. Needed a root canal.

Scheduled to go In tomorrow (it's Friday morning now so I guess it's today) for root canal. Have had quite a few in the past so I don't get anxious about dental procedures or root canals in particular. Looking forward to having this aching root killed. But what does make me anxious is the $$$ I got to put out. I considered just telling them to pull the tooth and be done with it, but it's kind of a tooth I need if I want to keep being able to eat food I have to chew.

Woke up a few minutes ago absolutely convinced it was Saturday morning and that it was time to get ready for a long, relaxing day. I realized my mistake when I turned on my computer. I am disappointed.

27 minutes ago, The Mance said:

Sorry, but, if you are up and at 'em at 7 am on what you thought was a Saturday I'm not even sure you deserve weekends.

Sleeping in is a luxury for people who are not in apartments with massive east-facing windows that are designed in such a way that blackout curtains cannot completely block out the sun.

I've always loved the ham & pineapple combo on pizza, but will throw in some sausage and peppers too for added heft.  Ironically my wife, who grew up in Hawaii, detests pineapple on pizza. 

Our son (10) has a friend whose parents divorced last year and the mom is now getting serious with a new relationship.  It has been causing for our son some anxiety about whether the same could happen to our family (we have precisely zero indication of marital problems, even though typing that makes me think I must be too complacent about something).  And he has started questioning all of my wife's interactions with other men.  But not a single question or moment of concern about my interaction with other women.  It's one thing to suspect you've become invisible to the opposite sex, it's another for your kid to treat it as axiomatic.  Time for a midlife crisis!  Skinny jeans and hipster beard ahead, and perhaps wearing a hat indoors and in summer. 

15 hours ago, Fez said:

Sleeping in is a luxury for people who are not in apartments with massive east-facing windows that are designed in such a way that blackout curtains cannot completely block out the sun.

I'm in the same situation. It's called "go back to sleep." ;)

19 hours ago, The Mance said:

Sorry, but, if you are up and at 'em at 7 am on what you thought was a Saturday I'm not even sure you deserve weekends.

My sleep schedule is so fucked that this weekend makes it two weekends in a row that I have been up at 5:30am 

Archived