Smaller Things Even Less Worthy of a Thread of Their Own

Datepalm

I go to a local cafe in my hometown once every week to relax and enjoy both hot and cold drinks and some snacks. I almost always buy their fried cassava sticks sprinkled with grated cheese. I noticed over time the price has not been reduced but they have offered less sticks. First it was 9 and then it became 8 and just yesterday it became 7. Is this because they sell out quickly and are struggling to keep up with supply? Or do they really think they can make more money by purchasing less cassava and fool their regular customers like me and hope they don't notice the reduction? I swear if they bring it down to 6, I'll ask them. If they deny serving me less, I'll find another cafe to go to.

I thought about opening a thread about the sugar called trehalose. Remember that name. It may explain the explosive growth of a deadly form of C. Difficile, a super bug that our antibiotics have not been able to kill, over the past 15 years.

Have you ever come across the stories about seaweeds that could be completely dry and apparently dead, but revive if watered? The reason is this sugar, trehalose. Researchers had been able to manufacture it, but the process was extremely difficult and expensive. However, in 2000 a Japanese company announced it found a way to cheaply make it, and got Cargill involved. Cargill applied to have it approved in the US, and since food manufacturers always look for cheap sweeteners, it is now used in many foods. I have been looking for a list of foods that use the sugar but have not been successful. What I have seen in different stories is that it is used in sports drinks, chewing gum, nutrition bars, baked goods (but I don't know which ones) and eye drops used to relieve dry eye.

There is also apparently a sweetener which I think I saw in a store somewhere called New Sweet.

The sugar makes C. Difficile worse because when the bacteria feeds on the sugar the resulting toxins are stronger.

One of many stories out there: http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-sugar-c-diff-20180103-story.html

14 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I paid off my car loan a few months early as a Christmas present to myself. Just got the title in the mail. 

I am now debt free for the first time in my adult life. It's a weird and good feeling. 

Oh wow, I wish for that feeling!

Congrats! :D

16 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I paid off my car loan a few months early as a Christmas present to myself. Just got the title in the mail. 

I am now debt free for the first time in my adult life. It's a weird and good feeling. 

I remember the day i paid off my student loans, one of the best moments of my life.

I can't function with debt, it makes me so anxious, the only debt i currently have is my mortgage which is unavoidable.

Currently, I'm binge watching Mindhunter.  I find it surprising that every killer and killing is highly based on reality.  Hollywood production studios have to pay people if their likenesses and/or real life stories are used in videos, right?  If so, then who gets that money?  There are laws against criminals profiting from their criminal actions.

I'm trying to make friends in town (still new-ish here) by going to meetup events. I'm going to a new group tonight and I'm a little nervous. I don't like going to socials with strangers, particularly on my own, because of some shyness. I think I'm probably too shy at my age, so to motivate myself to attend these new social situations, I remind myself that I could do with the desensitization that usually comes from repeated exposure to fear-evoking stimuli (lol).

I had a really detailed dream last night that was quite... enjoyable. ;)

Left me feeling especially cheery in the morning - and been the subject of a few day dreams throughout today.

Archived