Smaller Things Even Less Worthy of a Thread of Their Own

Datepalm

This is not going away, its growing exponentially- https://www.yahoo.com/news/great-pacific-garbage-patch-contains-203057130.html

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is now twice the area of Texas, and one of 5 such plastic debris fields throughout the Worlds Oceans, all growing larger and choking marine life in their swath.

We need to be better stewards than this, this is not sustainable living.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This is not going away, its growing exponentially- https://www.yahoo.com/news/great-pacific-garbage-patch-contains-203057130.html

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is now twice the area of Texas, and one of 5 such plastic debris fields throughout the Worlds Oceans, all growing larger and choking marine life in their swath.

We need to be better stewards than this, this is not sustainable living.

C'mon, humanity. This is the only planet we have. Let's take better care of it while we still can.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:47 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not doing that to my brother! It was so damn funny. We were in this small Scandinavian themed town in the mountains outside of L.A. There was only one public bathroom and I let him go first because he's a germaphobe and I knew he'd clean the stall before and after. Well he must have used too much toilet paper because he emerged with the thing overflowing like crazy and the water wouldn't stop running and he's screaming, "It's not my fault!!!!" 

We ran.

A visit to this magical place is now on my bucket list.

I never realised until this afternoon how much more at ease I feel during the recruitment process/interviews when every point of contact is female. 

Or maybe these people were just genuinely lovely. But whatever, the way they all treated me meant I left feeling kickass and beaming from ear to ear 

My friend was talking about how his five year old found his KISS dolls in the basement and he was shocked that little Nick knew about them.  Nick said he'd seen them on Scooby Doo.

And then months later Nick found dad's KISS albums and said apparently "dad, wait KISS is real!?!"

Happy little rock dude.  Theyre his favorite band now im told.

Also got a disturbing text that my girlfriend's parakeet had a pretty severe jaw accident today and may have lost his lower beak. (Got his beak caught in something). Was told by a that parrot type bird beaks will grow back if the root sort of area wasnt torn out and you hamd feed them in the mean time.  He still has a tongue and beaks seem a bit like toenails so that it seems semi plausible at least that it could grow back.  

Missed my train yesterday quite literally by one minute. As in, I ran up to the doors (having sprinted through King’s Cross underground, in skirt, blouse and heels, with an overnight bag and handbag) as they were slamming them shut and had to face the horror and humiliation of watching the train slowly pull away. (For anyone unfamiliar with the policy, once those doors are closed they aren’t opening them again and delaying departure, whether you are there are not).

So that was a costly mistake, since I had to buy an on the day ticket to replace mine, which WTF how are they so expensive?! I won’t say exactly how much, but it was creeping towards triple digits before the pennies...

eta: also running in heels has left me in agony today. What a foolish choice on my part

22 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

eta: also running in heels has left me in agony today. What a foolish choice on my part

I’ve never understood why women (and some men) wear heels. I had to once for a class in college. They’re the most uncomfortable things in the world!

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve never understood why women (and some men) wear heels. I had to once for a class in college. They’re the most uncomfortable things in the world!

Because they make my ass look better. Yeah, I’m shallow like that

I have been reliably (I assume) informed by Popular Science that in the human brain:

Every single neuron contains about 0.07 volts of electricity. A human boasts 86 billion of those stimulating little cells, which puts the charge inside your head at about 6 billion volts. That's like having 477,777,777 car batteries hooked to up to your noggin at once."

No word on whether science is working on a way to harness that energy to recharge your cell phone. :D

3 hours ago, Holy Sith! said:

I have been reliably (I assume) informed by Popular Science that in the human brain:

No word on whether science is working on a way to harness that energy to recharge your cell phone. :D

Not really. I doubt very that your brain, or mine, is wired in series rather than parallel. 

4 hours ago, maarsen said:

Not really. I doubt very that your brain, or mine, is wired in series rather than parallel. 

I don't think mine are wired together at all. They seem to be working independently at cross-purposes.

On March 24, 2018 at 5:27 PM, KingintheNorth4 said:

C'mon, humanity. This is the only planet we have. Let's take better care of it while we still can.

This kind of tragedy is playing out in marine environments globally- https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dead-sperm-whale-plastic-spain_us_5ac8b736e4b09d0a11942cd4

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, that’s the answer pretty much every woman gives me. I wouldn’t feel shallow about it.

I don’t, quite honestly. THat would be more obvious irl, where my voice would have dripped sarcasm and I’d have rolled my eyes at the question,

Archived