US Politics: He's Trump, he's Trump, he's Trump, he's in my head

denstorebog

The missiles hit one airfield, the airfield that would have been used to drop the chemicals on the town earlier this week, at approximately 8:45 Eastern time. About 3:45 am Syrian time.

Since Syria has been at war for a long time, with Israel before the civil war, the base had so-called "hardened" hangars for their aircraft, so that's why 50 to 60 missiles were sent.

The Syrians, with the change in attitude by Trump, may have been smart enough to have moved out all the aircraft, no one knows yet.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

He's not going to war in Syria as long as Assad is supported by Putin.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

But he is going to egg the house, ring the doorbell and run away. The military equivalent of which is sending in a bunch of cruise missiles.

I'm so confused.  Now that Republicans are acting like they care about Syrians, why am I not seeing them calling for the US to immediately begin processing more refugee applications and/or immediately cease all actions that effectively ban their entrance.  

/sarcasm

24 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Wow. I wonder how his tovarisch is going to take this. 

One of the Russian spokesmen said something that translates to roughly "The Russian position on Assad is up for discussion" or perhaps "Russian support for Assad is not unconditional." It really depends on whether Trump means to merely send a warning or engage in a full-fledged invasion of Syria or something in between.

yeah, unless trump is planning on giving way more oil to putin, I'd guess we can put the pee tape story to bed.

in other news congress will totally make sure they rein in any further action*

https://mobile.twitter.com/senatordurbin/status/850167192150827012

*I mean, like, beyond additional airstrikes, bonbons or drone attacks. don't worry guys, we got this

I have a theory. As I said in the last thread after the news of the chemical gas attack came out, Rex Tillerson was going to wear it. Well, Rex, and by extension Trump. For the announcement that dealing with Assad was the responsibility of the Syrian people. Trump was likely briefed by the intelligence community that the announcement emboldened Assad.

Trump obviously didn't want to wear that shit. It was okay for him to say Obama should fucking stay out of Syria, that he needed the approval of Congress, that Syria was his fault for doing nothing, but Trump's not going to wear that shit.

Hey, at least he knew to move fast.

You already know that absolutely nothing he said before counts anymore.  About fucking anything.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have a theory. As I said in the last thread after the news of the chemical gas attack came out, Rex Tillerson was going to wear it. Well, Rex, and by extension Trump. For the announcement that dealing with Assad was the responsibility of the Syrian people. Trump was likely briefed by the intelligence community that the announcement emboldened Assad.

Trump obviously didn't want to wear that shit. It was okay for him to say Obama should fucking stay out of Syria, that he needed the approval of Congress, that Syria was his fault for doing nothing, but Trump's not going to wear that shit.

Hey, at least he knew to move fast.

You already know that absolutely nothing he said before counts anymore.  About fucking anything.

I believe him when he says he'd date Ivanka.

I'm leaving town for a conference in about 8 hours so I'll just drop this in for the weekend...

I agree whole-heartedly with Trump bombing Syria.  Strikes on military targets in response to chemical attacks is what superpowers are supposed to do.  Was always disappointed Obama pussed out on that.  This has McMaster written all over it as SOP for the U.S. Military, glad he wrested control of the NSC.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

I'm leaving town for a conference in about 8 hours so I'll just drop this in for the weekend...

I agree whole-heartedly with Trump bombing Syria.  Strikes on military targets in response to chemical attacks is what superpowers are supposed to do.  Was always disappointed Obama pussed out on that.  This has McMaster written all over it as SOP for the U.S. Military, glad he wrested control of the NSC.

Obama went to Congress and Congress told him to fuck off.

What do you think would have happened if Obama had launched 60 missiles on Syria? After Congress said no? Hell, the Republicans would have shut down Congress and the Senate even worse than they already had. Hell, they probably would have started impeachment proceedings.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Obama went to Congress and Congress told him to fuck off.

What do you think would have happened if Obama had launched 60 missiles on Syria? After Congress said no? Hell, the Republicans would have shut down Congress and the Senate even worse than they already had. Hell, they probably would have started impeachment proceedings.

The answer to that is easy:  don't go to Congress first.  He's the only president who bothered (other than Ford) since WWII.

2 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

The answer to that is easy:  don't go to Congress first.  He's the only president who bothered (other than Ford) since WWII.

Just because it's precedent doesn't mean it's good or right. I suppose you could argue Obama did that knowing Congress would stay his hand, which may have been what he actually wanted.

Archived