Would Ned Stark have wanted Davos executed?

MasterOfDeath

We all know Ned was infamous to show mercy to prisoners of war, especially those of noble birth like Selmy and Theon and he was kind to commoners but he was also absolutely ruthless when it came to law breakers, even non-violent offenders like night watch deserters. He wanted Jorah executed too for selling people into slavery.

Which makes me wonder how Ned would have handled the Davos situation. Ned lifted the Tyrell siege of Storm's End but it was Davos who smuggled food in before and kept them from starving. Would Ned have done what Stannis did and just cleave the tops of Davos's fingers but still knight him and honor him? Or would he have simply executed him for being a smugger and in his eyes a thief and lawbreaker?

Ned would have let him walk unharmed, though probably without knighting him. 
Deserting the Night's Watch is a serious offense up in the North. It was his duty to execute the deserter or lose respect. Selling people into slavery is also a lot more serious than just being a simple smuggler. Ned is honorable, but not as unyielding and rigid as Stannis. 

9 minutes ago, MasterOfDeath said:

We all know Ned was infamous to show mercy to prisoners of war, especially those of noble birth like Selmy and Theon and he was kind to commoners but he was also absolutely ruthless when it came to law breakers, even non-violent offenders like night watch deserters. He wanted Jorah executed too for selling people into slavery.

Which makes me wonder how Ned would have handled the Davos situation. Ned lifted the Tyrell siege of Storm's End but it was Davos who smuggled food in before and kept them from starving. Would Ned have done what Stannis did and just cleave the tops of Davos's fingers but still knight him and honor him? Or would he have simply executed him for being a smugger and in his eyes a thief and lawbreaker?

Jorah was violating a major bit of westerosi law. The same goes for watch deserters. Ned would probably have let him go, or imprisoned him for a time but wouldn't cut his fingers off 

I think Ned's compromise or solution with Davos would have been to either imprison him for a time for smuggling or perhaps send him to the Wall (the idea being he gets to keep his life for his aid to Storm's End).  Also, I don't believe Ned was being unduly "ruthless" with either Gared or Jorah.  He was simply fulfilling his duty as Lord enforcing the law.  

Night's Watch desertion (especially in the North) and trading in slaves are very serious offenses, so Ned's actions toward Gared and Jorah Mormont make sense.  Smuggling (especially to avoid tax) is probably not the sort of thing Ned would get too worked up about, so I expect he would be happy to let it slide, especially considering the good Davos did with his smuggling in of supplies.

As others have said deserting the NW and slavery are pretty big deals compared to smuggling. Ned would have let Davos go if he caught Davos while he was smuggling in onions to help Stannis. In that case he would probably pardon Davos, knight him, give him some small lands. Just like what Stannis did without the punishment. However, if Ned just caught him in the regular course of smuggling Davos would have probably sent him to the NW or cut off his fingers like Stannis did (assuming that's the regular punishment for smuggling). In neither case would Davos have been killed for smuggling.

Westerosi law is funny. Poaching is punished by virtual slavery in the form of joining the Night's Watch, or death. But selling those poachers into slavery, letting them live and likely in a better quality of life, is punishable by death. Nevermind that there's little moral difference between the serfdom and slavery. Freedom just means the freedom to starve.

On that subject, what would Ned Stark do with Davos? The Starks have a history of enforcing the law, damn the political consequences. Robb's execution of Karstark is a prominent example of that and it's safe to say Ned instilled that notion into Robb's head. I think Ned would've given him the traditional choice of death or the Wall as a "reward" for helping Davos out at Storm's End. I think Davos would've smuggled himself out in short order.

3 hours ago, Renly's Banana said:

Ned would have let him walk unharmed, though probably without knighting him. 
Deserting the Night's Watch is a serious offense up in the North. It was his duty to execute the deserter or lose respect. Selling people into slavery is also a lot more serious than just being a simple smuggler. Ned is honorable, but not as unyielding and rigid as Stannis. 

Ned would have punished him for his old crimes.  I doubt he would cut off the man's fingers.  That would keep the man from an honest living.  Punishment could mean the wall or even exile.  Ned was not quite as harsh as Stannis. 

Gared deserted his post.  The law says he had to die.  I would have more respect for Ned if, say he caught Jon deserting and took off his head with ice.  To do otherwise would be unjust.

2 hours ago, Gabbie Roxas said:

Ned would have punished him for his old crimes.  I doubt he would cut off the man's fingers.  That would keep the man from an honest living.  Punishment could mean the wall or even exile.  Ned was not quite as harsh as Stannis. 

Gared deserted his post.  The law says he had to die.  I would have more respect for Ned if, say he caught Jon deserting and took off his head with ice.  To do otherwise would be unjust.

Eddard Stark believes in doing the right thing he's gotten into trouble doing the right thing multiple times from Jon to Rebeling to not killing Daenerys.  He's not the kind of person to punish someone for breaking the law to help save him and his people from death by starvation. 

12 hours ago, MasterOfDeath said:

he was also absolutely ruthless when it came to law breakers, even non-violent offenders like night watch deserters.

A Night Watch deserter is someone who committed a crime punishable by death and saw his punishment commuted to being sent to the Wall. A Night's Watch deserter would be beheaded by every lord in the Seven Kingdoms, without exception. The only difference is that Ned did the deed himself instead of using an executioner.

8 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Poaching is punished by virtual slavery in the form of joining the Night's Watch, or death. But selling those poachers into slavery, letting them live and likely in a better quality of life, is punishable by death. Nevermind that there's little moral difference between the serfdom and slavery. Freedom just means the freedom to starve.

Night's Watch is far, far better than slavery. In the Watch you are fed, treated with honour, and given a job according to your capacities. You can raise according to your merits, and even commoners such as Qorin Halfhand can rise to command keeps of their own. The leaders are elected democratically and everyone has a vote. And many rules are treated laxly, with many recruits paying frequent visits to the brothels of Mole's Town.

It may be a hard life, but it doesn't compare to being as a sex slave in Lys or a rower in a galley. And this if you are lucky enough to be sent to the Slaver's bay.

Ned would have introduced him to Robert and if necessary, he would have pushed him to give the man something for the service rendered. Robert was a quite generous man, and there was plenty of lands and titles available after the war. He would have given Davos, a title and he would have made him captain of a royal fleet ship

I do not understand why some of you are saying Ned Stark would imprison or send Davos to the wall, the man just saved the lifes of the men guarding SE he deserves to be rewarded not punished for helping save the day. Ned wouldnt ask Robert to knight him or give him lands but a full pardon is in order. 

One important thing to consider in regards to the 'harshness' of those punishment in the North (I don't think they're that harsh) is that punishments in the North would be expected to be more severe. Winterfel itself is not that impressive of a powercentre, it doesn't have that impressive of a force, no city or port, hot water as their only apparent strategic resource and is not necessarily that strong of a castle (Dreadfort and Greywater Watch both seem about equal). 

So the Strak lords mostly rule through law and order. And the North is a vast, vast, hard place to live and fairly empty. Especially in winter a lot of people will be jobless. Crime could run rampant in this giant region and respond time by "police" could be extremely long. Rebellions start quite easily in such a disconnected, vaste climate. Roaming bandits have the possibility to run wild. So the arm of justice has to have a long reach and a strong punch. To keep order and justice punishments have to be clear, menacing and hard. 

Also Ned seems quite forgiving in war times with the Greyjoy and Roberts Rebellion. 

I'm sorry for not wording this as clearly as I'd like as I'm having some trouble to get my point across

Ned never "wanted" anyone executed, and will only do so when duty bound, such as a Night's Watch desserter. He would have forced Davos to take the black at worst, but likely just make him a house man at Winterfell to work off the value of his crime.

Archived