How would these fathers react to Tysha?

Canon Claude

Given that Tywin is possibly the second worst father-in-law in all of Westeros (after Walter Frey), how would other heads of Great Houses react if their 13-year-old second sons secretly married a pretty crofter's daughter named Tysha after helping to save her from bandits?

-Ned Stark

-Doran Martell

-Mace Tyrell

-Robert Baratheon (yes I know Tommen isn't his son but just assume)

-Balon Greyjoy

I would actually say Tywin is second worst after Craster, but to the OP. I think all of those father's would have dissolved the marriage just like Tywin did. They just would've skipped the rape. For two reasons: 1) they are high born and right or wrong the high borns generally have to marry other high-borns. 2) It's actually not a unreasonable thought Tywin had that Tysha could have been a whore or some conniving woman taking advantage of a naive kid. There is a small chance that Ned would let it slide for the youngest son who is so far down the line of succession it doesn't matter who he marries. Maybe Rickon is Bran doesn't get crippled or a younger son had the books not happened and he and Catelyn had more children.

1. Eddard, Mace, Robert, and Doran would beg the sitting king to annul the marriage.  Mace would send her away with a heavy purse.  Eddard would send her away empty handed.  Doran would send her to sail on a boat with a small purse and the boat would have a secret hole on the bottom.  Robert would scold her in public and bang her in private. 
  2. Walder would insult her virtues in public, pinch her bottom in private, scold his unlucky son, but in the end, welcome her into the family.  He's generous like that.
  3. Balon would send her to the Drowned God.
  4. Aerys would for sure end the marriage.  He's the king.  What happens to her would depend on his mood at the moment.

They all would've had the marriage annulled, but Eddard, Doran and Mace likely would've stopped there. Perhaps they would've had Tysha married off to a man-at-arms or hedge knight or something.

Robert wouldn't give a shit, but I'm sure Cersei would have the girl killed.

I assume if Balon's son married Tysha, the boy would know about salt wives, so assuming that the son married her as a salt wife, he wouldn't care. Rock wife, he would probably have the marriage annulled (is that a thing with ironborn?) if not outright killed.

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

Given that Tywin is possibly the second worst father-in-law in all of Westeros (after Walter Frey), how would other heads of Great Houses react if their 13-year-old second sons secretly married a pretty crofter's daughter named Tysha after helping to save her from bandits?

-Ned Stark

-Doran Martell

-Mace Tyrell

-Balon Greyjoy

Ned would probably think it's a lost opportunity for a better match, but would accept it as it's been consummated. 

Doran would have it annulled but let the boy keep her as a paramour.

Mace would have it annulled and pay the girl to disappear.

Robert would say "That's my boy!" but probably be badgered by Cersei into getting it annulled, and help his son hide the girl somewhere nearby so she can be a mistress.

Balon I'm not sure about. He might consider the girl a salt wife. Or he might say his son married beneath himself and have the girl killed.

I don't think any of them would have done what Tywin did.

Ned Stark probably would be deeply disappointed in Bran, but let the marriage stand as it's the only honorable thing. However the Bran's influence would be limited, and all he and the crofter would end up getting is a holdfast in some isolated part of the North, while Rickon would end up getting the more favorable marriage match and influence after Robb.

Doran Martell would have the marriage annulled, if only to preserve the possibility of a better match, but would take the girl into his household as his son's paramour and raise any children they have as Sands.

Mace Tyrell would also have the marriage annulled. He'd probably find a situation for her elsewhere far away to have a comfortable life, and keep her away from his Garlan. He'd be disappointed for a time, but probably let the matter pass .

Robert Baratheon would have the marriage annulled as well, but tell Tommen to keep screwing the girl all he wants. A prince needs to marry a highborn lady, and if he has a mistress on the side, well like father, like son.

Balon Greyjoy would just tell his son he's stupid and he found a salt wife, nothing more.

13 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

-Ned Stark

-Doran Martell

-Mace Tyrell

-Balon Greyjoy

- Ned would probably accept it. He was a second son himself and while he did manage to make his marriage work, he knows that marriage shouldn't start that way

- Doran Martell would hug his new daughter in law only for her to suffer from some sickness in few months time and die. The Martells are planning ahead and they can't suffer from this sort of stupidity.

- Mace will probably accept her. He loves his children dearly and was ready to go for war to see Loras happy and Margaery crowned queen. Little Tysha would better stir away from old Olena though

- Robert would laugh it off. He'll hug the wench, he would give her loads of money and then he would kick her to Essos were the old lion would make sure she'll end up with a dagger at her throat. No one will ever mention anything about Tommen ever being married. 

- Balon will probably crown himself again only to end up having to bend the knee

If Ned is anything like Robb, he would acknowledge that Bran took the girl's virtue, and then did the honourable thing by marrying her. So he wouldn't do anything about it. Catelyn would probably be more furious about it than Ned, but both would eventually get to know Tysha and see her for who she is. They might even make sure that Bran doesn't get to inherit Winterfell should anything happen to Robb, but he does get a holdfast in the Gift, and start a family with Tysha. That's probably the best case scenario.

Not sure why people are saying Doran would straight up murder Tysha. That seems incredibly cold, given that he didn't do anything to Daemon Sand for sleeping with his daughter except to refuse him her hand in marriage. And given that it's Trystane, technically the third in line, I'm sure he might have even accepted it. At worst, he would pay the girl to leave and never come back. Maybe send her to his ex wife and have her become a lady-in-waiting so that she grows up and gets a decent marriage.

In the case of Mace, at this point in time, Garlan is probably still a plump boy, though starting to come into his own. It would be typical of Garlan the Gallant to save Tysha and marry her after a fortnight of happiness together. Frankly, I think Willas at the very least would support them, and might have persuaded his family to treat the girl well. But there's no way that Garlan stays married to her. Mace will bribe a maester to annul the marriage, and marry her off to some squire instead if she's lucky. Though I doubt they'd be rough with her.

Robert would probably laugh, but then would have a stern talk with Tommen in private. Tysha gets bribed to pretend nothing ever happened, or she gets sent away before Cersei gets her hands on her.

Balon would ask his son if she's a salt wife or a rock wife, and if he gives the wrong answer, he'd throw the girl into the sea.

On a side note, of all the people who I think would be cruel to Tysha, I think it would be Hoster Tully. He would be the one, apart from Balon and Tywin, to most likely outright kill Tysha as an inconvenience. It's what he did to a bastard offspring between Baelish and Lysa.

11 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Ned Stark probably would be deeply disappointed in Bran, but let the marriage stand as it's the only honorable thing. However the Bran's influence would be limited, and all he and the crofter would end up getting is a holdfast in some isolated part of the North, while Rickon would end up getting the more favorable marriage match and influence after Robb.

Doran Martell would have the marriage annulled, if only to preserve the possibility of a better match, but would take the girl into his household as his son's paramour and raise any children they have as Sands.

Mace Tyrell would also have the marriage annulled. He'd probably find a situation for her elsewhere far away to have a comfortable life, and keep her away from his Garlan. He'd be disappointed for a time, but probably let the matter pass .

Robert Baratheon would have the marriage annulled as well, but tell Tommen to keep screwing the girl all he wants. A prince needs to marry a highborn lady, and if he has a mistress on the side, well like father, like son.

Balon Greyjoy would just tell his son he's stupid and he found a salt wife, nothing more.

I'm most inclined to agree with this one. 

So what's a salt wife and a rock wife?

50 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Doran Martell would not react (in any way).

Marriage is his line. He firmly told Daemon Sand no when Daemon asked for his permission to marry his daughter. But he didn't punish him or care that they'd slept together. So if he found out that Trystane and, say, Oberyn were wandering around and had found Tysha being accosted, with Oberyn driving away the attackers and Trystane playing Tyrion's role in the whole thing, I think he would have had some concerns about what was an incredibly unequal marriage in terms of social position.

22 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, he didn't stop Oberyn's philandering.

Oberyn is his brother. Not his son. The heads of the household are never able to control their brothers completely. Look at literally any of the Great Houses. Benjen joined the Nights Watch, Hoster wouldn't marry, Stannis and Robert never got along, Tygett and Gerion always fought with Tywin, Euron had to be banished, and Oberyn did as he pleased.

22 hours ago, Maxxine said:

2) It's actually not a unreasonable thought Tywin had that Tysha could have been a whore or some conniving woman taking advantage of a naive kid.

:agree:

22 hours ago, Targaryen Restoration said:
  1. Eddard, Mace, Robert, and Doran would beg the sitting king to annul the marriage.  Mace would send her away with a heavy purse.  Eddard would send her away empty handed.  Doran would send her to sail on a boat with a small purse and the boat would have a secret hole on the bottom.  Robert would scold her in public and bang her in private. 
  2. Walder would insult her virtues in public, pinch her bottom in private, scold his unlucky son, but in the end, welcome her into the family.  He's generous like that.
  3. Balon would send her to the Drowned God.
  4. Aerys would for sure end the marriage.  He's the king.  What happens to her would depend on his mood at the moment.

:agree: LMAO Robert would bang her in private - definitely agree there.

5 hours ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Doran Martell would not react (in any way).

:agree: BTW I loved your comments on Doran as wight in some other post.

23 hours ago, Maxxine said:

<snip

It's actually not a unreasonable thought Tywin had that Tysha could have been a whore or some conniving woman taking advantage of a naive kid

<snip

If that was the case it would not have been necessary to order Jaime to lie to Tyrion about her. 

Most of the non-Tywin fathers probably wouldn't have this issue in the first place, because one way or another, they probably all would have not ignored the idea that their sons, however unsuitable, would marry at some point, and actually explained (or had explained) to their sons that while suitable and useful marriages would be arranged for them, there were options when oats needed sowing:

Ned is the exception, because he's Ned and would be unlikely to advise his son to "take what he wanted," so if his son married the crofter's daughter, he would let it stand. But Catelyn would be disappointed, especially if the crofter's daughter did not have good hips.

Doran's son would take a paramour.

Mace's son would be too busy training for tournaments.

Robert's son* would get all the maids pregnant. Or kill small animals.

Balon's son would take a salt wife or three.

If not the heir, Ned may let it pass. Not because he would agree or accept the idea. But because he would not undo the vows of his son.
If not the heir, Doran would likely accept it. He would suggest to keep the girl as a paramour however.
Mace Tyrell would pay the girl and anyone, to have the marriage voided. And send her far away.
Robert would bang the girl himself. And bring as many whores as necessary for his son, to forget the girl. He would also have the marriage voided.
Balon would tell his son to keep the girl as a salt wife. No more.

Archived