Oberyn and his scheming? Theories?

House Beaudreau

On 4/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, Lord Wraith said:

Also considering that even Tyrion knows enough about Oberyn's past to know he had a sellsword company. I doubt that Tywin Lannister would hire the former sellswords that belonged to Oberyn. I have also read PJ's theory on Oberyn and the Brave Companions but it doesn't add up. Having Qyburn there as a Dornish agent does however make a great deal of sense.

Yeah I don't think I subscribe to PJ's whole Doran and Arianne side of the theory but Qyburn being kick out of the Citidel and ended up in Oberyn's Sellsword company makes a lot of sense to me. I never really thought about Tywin knowing about Oberyn's company. The only real explaination I could give is that Tywin has virtually no interest in anything that happens in Essos or in the north for that matter. If Tywin were to have overlook this crucial detail in who he hired, I think it adds some spice to the narritve about Tywin.

Also on the Brave companions, Barristan selmy makes an interesting comment in ASOS about Mero and the second sons have quite a poor reputation almost as bad as the Brave companions . Its interesting that someone like Barristan would know anything about any free company in Essos. He isn't the head of a major house and if war came to westeros During Robert's reign he probably wouldn't be tasked with hiring sellswords, this would probably be left to Littlefinger and Jon Arryn. So if someone like Barristan knows the reputations of certain sellswords and their companies it seems crazy that someone like Tywin wouldn't know too.

Thanks for the input and expanding my thinking on this    

On 4/12/2017 at 8:02 PM, House Beaudreau said:

Yeah I don't think I subscribe to PJ's whole Doran and Arianne side of the theory but Qyburn being kick out of the Citidel and ended up in Oberyn's Sellsword company makes a lot of sense to me. I never really thought about Tywin knowing about Oberyn's company. The only real explaination I could give is that Tywin has virtually no interest in anything that happens in Essos or in the north for that matter. If Tywin were to have overlook this crucial detail in who he hired, I think it adds some spice to the narritve about Tywin.

Also on the Brave companions, Barristan selmy makes an interesting comment in ASOS about Mero and the second sons have quite a poor reputation almost as bad as the Brave companions . Its interesting that someone like Barristan would know anything about any free company in Essos. He isn't the head of a major house and if war came to westeros During Robert's reign he probably wouldn't be tasked with hiring sellswords, this would probably be left to Littlefinger and Jon Arryn. So if someone like Barristan knows the reputations of certain sellswords and their companies it seems crazy that someone like Tywin wouldn't know too.

Thanks for the input and expanding my thinking on this    

Happy to help. Also if you never have read Bran Vras take on the Princes of Dorne. http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Princes.html

I suggest it highly. Warning its a long read but definitely had me rethinking the Dornish chapters in a way that most wouldn't. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 11:12 PM, Lord Wraith said:

Happy to help. Also if you never have read Bran Vras take on the Princes of Dorne. http://branvras.free.fr/HuisClos/Princes.html

I suggest it highly. Warning its a long read but definitely had me rethinking the Dornish chapters in a way that most wouldn't. 

Worth a read. It is long, but I am guilty of the same thing :P  The whole Dorne plot is always so tangled, but this is interesting. Gonna give it another read just to catch it all. 

My problem with all these "Dornish Master Plan Theories" is that they kinda sorta undermine other aspects of the text. Like, Tywin's death would definitely lose some of its impact if Oberyn poisoned him and he was gonna die anyway. Sure, his own son still murdered him, but it wouldn't be as effective that way. 

Also, it kinda contradicts Doran's whole spiel about the snake and the grass if the snake went out and did his own thing without consulting the grass. 

23 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

My problem with all these "Dornish Master Plan Theories" is that they kinda sorta undermine other aspects of the text. Like, Tywin's death would definitely some of its impact if Oberyn poisoned him and he was gonna die anyway. Sure, his own son still murdered him, but it wouldn't be as effective that way. 

Also, it kinda contradicts Doran's whole spiel about the snake and the grass if the snake went out and did his own thing without consulting the grass. 

I don't mind the theories as long as they admit they are theories. Dorne is just as tangled as that damned Meereen in most cases. 

Plus, sometimes it's just fun to have a reason to exclaim, "girl, you so crazy!" 

Archived