Opioid addiction - Time for a fresh approach or new front in War on Drugs?!

karaddin

Most of what you're describing as helpful is really the strong sense of community and nothing to do with the 12 steps. I dare say it's a need for community and lack of access to it that drives a significant number of people to substance use in the first place so it makes sense to me that finding it helps them avoid it in future. The emotional maturity is also important, but I feel it's something that often comes from struggle itself rather than how you win the struggle.

I don't know if how we could proactively provide that community other than across the board being a more caring society, which can't be dictated from above, so I'm glad for there to be options for people to find the help they need. I just don't think that it should be forced by the law. I'm also against the part that tells people (and it sounds like your group doesn't do this so much) that they are essentially tainted and can never recover. It's the kind of thing that works in the exact opposite way of the healthy priming I was talking about. A slip up is a problem if it leads to uncontrolled behaviour. A slip up is nothing if you're able to move on from it and continue as normal afterwards. It's the emotional fall out, and what you do as a result, that makes it disastrous.

21 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

I've got nothing bad to say about AA / NA.  I have friends who are alive today because of the program.  Al-Anon has gotten me through some really hellish life experiences.  It's program also helped me be a better listener and have a hell of a lot more empathy.  No really, you guys should have met me before.

The most remarkable thing about AA is the human network it creates.  People in the program, at least here, take their responsibilities to their sponsees very seriously.  I've seen people in that program drop EVERYTHING to help a member in crisis.  For one of my friends, who is an atheist, the Higher Power is a type of awe at how generous those in recovery are to the newbies they sponsor.  I imagine that what he sees is some global rug woven of compassion that is standing by to help.  

I also know that my friends who have been through AA or are currently involved have a lot more maturity than the ones that haven't as a general rule.  They are very good at saying, "no."  They are very self-aware.  They're good at minding their own business.  They have an emotional maturity that most people, frankly, lack.

Personally, I've never seen more kindness anywhere than I have at Al-Anon.  When I've needed it, just walking into a room knowing that everyone I am looking at understands why I'm there feels like shedding a huge load.  There is something comforting about being around people who GET IT.  Sometimes I don't say anything at all.  Sometimes I just sit there and cry and it's fine.  The Al-Anon program is much different than AA, the motto is, "Take what you need and leave the rest."  Sometimes it's the damndest little thing that someone says that will help get through a tough situation.  There's always someone available for a coffee after in case one needs to vent.  There's also a phone list.  People on it don't mind taking calls.  They just don't answer if they can't. 

Anyway, I'm getting long-winded.  Trisk, I can see your point.  It hasn't been my experience, but New Orleans is unique in a lot of ways.  Addiction is a huge fucking problem here.  Everyone I know has been hurt by it in some form or another.  There are so many different groups in town that it's pretty easy to find a meeting that works for each individual.  I went to several that were really unhelpful before I found a couple of good ones that are extremely well run.  I'm now wondering if our Catholic tradition doesn't make it a little more helpful here.  Taking time every week and every Lent for self-reflection and conscience searching is part of the culture.  Maybe it makes the groups here a little better.  I don't know about the overall success rates.  I do know that the first year is critical.  

Another plug for 12-step programs (and Al-Anon) here.  But I also completely agree that AA/12 step programs are not THE ONE TRUE WAY.  They are decidedly NOT going to work for everyone (and absolutely could have negative consequences for some people).  But for others, they are the ticket out and are amazingly successful.  So, I think trashing all 12-step programs as completely ineffective is not true, nor is an attitude that all addicts should join 12-step programs.  It seems to me that addiction, to the extent it is a disease or at least can be analogized as one (different subject) is something that needs personalized treatment, like, say, sophisticated cancer treatments.  For some people approach X will work and for others it will be miserable and make things worse.  To me the bigger point is how few alternatives there are that don't cost the GDP of a small country.  AA has the benefit of running on donations, not huge contributions, and is accessible.  Why shouldn't other approaches be as accessible?  I think if we are serious about helping addicts who want to be helped, they should be.

Archived