The Faceless Men - why bring death to the slaves?

Dragonsbone

I could not find anywhere a topic that discusses this particular theory. It is a theory, that I read somewhere on reddit/asoiaf, so not mine, but I actually liked it very much and thought that it made a lot of sence and it seemed very likely. That's why I thought to share it here and to hear what you guys think. 

I wont be able to go into every detaill, because I am not at home and only writing through my phone. I will give you the summery of the theory, and I will ad the link to the said theory. 

The detailled analysis you can find it here. It is really worth reading. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/63qo7k/spoilers_extended_hell_is_for_real_the_fourteen/

The Slaves of Valyria worked in the mines of the valyrians. Working there was a living hell. The stones were so hot that they would burn if they touch them, boiling water unter the stones, poisoning air, and melted stones. They were working under volcanos, so these condotions seems logical. Regarding to the Kindly Man, the first FM, was someone who listend to the prayers of the slaves under the mines. They all prayd for the sweet release of death. But why did they prey for death? Under such conditions, you could die everywhere at any time. They did not need gods for it. If anything was easy under such conditions, then commiting suicide. The reason is that the Valyrians used sorcery to ressurect the dead slaves back to life. They were a big empire that relied on slaves. It was economically more efficient to bring back dead slaves than finding and catching and transporting new slaves to their consistently growing empire. We know from Berric and Lady Stoneheart that the followers of R'hllor can bring people back to life. The valyrians are said to be great sorcerers. Sure some of them surely knew about the faith of R'hllor and the method of bringing back dead people. So these sorcerers brought back the dead slaves to continuosly work on the mines. This would make the life of the slaves a living hell. Not even death can save them from their fate. The first FM was someone that knew ways to end this misere and ending this curse, so that the slaves could not be ressurected any more. It is said from the kindly man that he may have been a freeholders son, thus maybe himself being a sorcerer. So he gave the first gift. This gift was the release from an a endless cycle of torture and death. Thus giving the words "Valar morghulis" a completely different meaning. Yes, all men must die.  

The theory goes further, and explains how the House of Black and White was founded. It was a financial tool of the FM to finance their war against the valyrians.

I did not get into detaill, just the overall storyline.There are a lot of passages from the book to back up this theory. You really should check it out. It is very well thought.It also gives an explanation what Dragons really are, and how to hatch em.

I don't think you need to search for a complex answer in place of a simple one.

The slaves preferred death to a dreadful existence in the mines.  Yet, for many people, killing onself is difficult.  And, no doubt, the overseers were always on the lookout for slaves who tried to commit suicide, and there were harsh punishments for those who did not succeed.

Dying quickly and peacefully, or even dying of a quick slice to the jugular, is a more "respectable" death than dying horribly in a mining and/or lava accident.  And there's no guarantee that you'd die if you create an "accident" - maybe you'll just get injured and have to wait days before you finally die of thirst or starvation.  Praying for a nice, clean, quick death over a slow and painful death is preferred even today (hence all the "Death with Dignity" groups/laws/etc). 

Plus what SeanF said; it's hard to kill yourself mentally and it's hard to kill yourself because of lack of access and privacy.

But then why was the solution of this first FM to kill the slaves? He could have also started killing the guardians and killing the Valyrians, if he was that trained that he managed to sneak into the mines or kill the slaves while the guardians were there. I just don't think this seems logical. I understand your point that suicide is a hard thing to do, and many slaves could not do it. But the chances of surviving it where equal to zero, even if they did not want to comit suicide. So from the perspective of the slaves, it may seem logical to prey for a peacefull death. But for the first FM surely was not. Such a trained assasin could have done more than just killing the slaves. It is highly hinted that the FM brought the doom over Valyria, so they were capable of doing more for the slaves than just killing them. 

But if you take into account that they were killed and brought to life several time, it would make sense to kill them.

7 hours ago, Dragonsbone said:

But then why was the solution of this first FM to kill the slaves? He could have also started killing the guardians and killing the Valyrians, if he was that trained that he managed to sneak into the mines or kill the slaves while the guardians were there. I just don't think this seems logical. I understand your point that suicide is a hard thing to do, and many slaves could not do it. But the chances of surviving it where equal to zero, even if they did not want to comit suicide. So from the perspective of the slaves, it may seem logical to prey for a peacefull death. But for the first FM surely was not. Such a trained assasin could have done more than just killing the slaves. It is highly hinted that the FM brought the doom over Valyria, so they were capable of doing more for the slaves than just killing them. 

But if you take into account that they were killed and brought to life several time, it would make sense to kill them.

You seem to be missing something. The first Faceless Man wasn't a trained assassin. He was a guy who heard someone praying for death and decided the kind and merciful thing to do was to grant that wish.

It is not "highly" hinted that the FM were involved in the Doom. There's one thing that might be a hint, or might not be.

Only if they were charging for it, and the first FM did not charge. 

It's a mercy. Simple. And the text is set to try and prove the logic of it wrong. It's about Arya and Sandor. Arya denied Sandor mercy out of hatred for him, she later thinks she should have given him the mercy, that it was wrong not to, and according to the Kindly Man's teachings she should have. Only Sandor is going to come back and do epic stuff and save Sansa and Arya and play no small part in saving the realm. Had she given him the mercy the realm would have been short an important hero.

The concept of the FM's mercy is wrong, even hypocritical as the Kindly Man chastises Arya for taking it upon herself to decide who lives and dies. It is for Arya to realise and reject.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, Dragonsbone said:

The first FM may have been a slave himself, or an overseer who eventually took pity on the slaves, or anyone really.

But, killing hundreds of overseers would scarcely have been practical for one man.  We are told that eventually, he began to kill masters when slaves sincerely prayed for such a thing (he could hardly have been a slave at that point).  But, even so, the numbers involved would have been tiny.  The first FM was answering the prayers of individuals, not trying to overthrow a system.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:39 AM, SeanF said:

I don't think you need to search for a complex answer in place of a simple one.

The slaves preferred death to a dreadful existence in the mines.  Yet, for many people, killing onself is difficult.  And, no doubt, the overseers were always on the lookout for slaves who tried to commit suicide, and there were harsh punishments for those who did not succeed.

It is likely this and nothing more.  However, it is worth considering that necromancy is not the monopoly of the Others.  The old Valyrians were greedy and mined for precious stones and metals.  Is it not more efficient to reanimate the dead and skinchange them to work the mines where few living humans could survive?  Sure it is.  Not saying it happened, but it is an interesting theory.  Skinchanging is the most offensive form of slavery is it not?  

Archived